Tank Re-build after "Natural Disaster"

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I just had an interesting weekend. I had my new tank set up and running now for about 5 months(with another 3 or so months of Cycle and setup) with fish and one anemone, it was a smallish 4Ft Juwel tank(200lt) I got it second hand off Facebook. I had a nice custom-built display for the tank and sump in my office and all was well.
A couple of photos below:
fish2.jpeg

fish1.jpeg

anemone.jpeg

So then come this Sunday, wake up at 830am and look at my phone and see an alert from my Seneye device(while been unhappy with Seneye lately, it's just paid off) that it was out of water. Run out of the bedroom and into the office and what do I find a floor covered in water and a tank with about 15cm of water above the sand :(

Looking at the tank and I can see that the seal between the side of the tank has just come apart and water is just pouring through the glass.

So really quickly I get some of the water into bags and get all the fish and the anemone into the bag, next to its off to the pet shop to buy a new tank. Now the fun begins, as I am getting the rocks and sand out of the old tank, my wife comes running and tells me we need to take my 1-year-old son to the hospital, F**K, could the day get any better.

5 hours later, fish still in the bag, water still on the wood floor, son back from the hospital and asleep and its 830pm and me ready for bed coming down with a cold, back to the tank.

So finally get all the sand and rocks out of the old tank, save whatever water was left in the tank. Lucky I just have 200lts of Nature Seawater delivered, so I put all the heaters I have in each container of water to bring the temp up.

Remove the old tank, put the new one in, add the sand, the rocks and then the water, with just enough water to get the sump to filter. So by this point, I check the fish and looks like one of my Bangaii Cardinals has died but everything else seemed to be alive, at this point I am in complete shock, thinking by now that everything would be dead after a day in a bag with no heat or anything.

So I let the tank settle for about an hour and let the temp get back up to 24 degrees and then I start adding the first back. All seemed well and it's now midnight and I was like well it's either going to work or it's not I am going to bed.

The next morning I wake up, check my phone and no alert, I figure that's a good start. By this point, I figured the purple anemone would have died and I will be in for clean up. So down to the office and check on the tank and to my surprise, everyone is alive and well. In fact, my anemone is back in the same spot it was before and it on full display more than before.

Two days on and all is still well and on the bright side of things, I now have a bigger tank, my son is better. On the bad side, I need to replace my office floor somehow.

So some pics of the new tank

new tank 1.jpeg

new tank 2.jpeg

So I am not sure if I should be doing anything else to the tank now that I have pretty much replaced 85% of the water, I have run tests across everything and it seems to be in the same state as it was before, and I think I am very lucky I had the nature seawater on hand. If anyone recommends doing anything please let me know.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry for your troubles but it looks like a good recovery so far. Good luck.

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I just had an interesting weekend. I had my new tank set up and running now for about 5 months(with another 3 or so months of Cycle and setup) with fish and one anemone, it was a smallish 4Ft Juwel tank(200lt) I got it second hand off Facebook. I had a nice custom-built display for the tank and sump in my office and all was well.
A couple of photos below:
fish2.jpeg

fish1.jpeg

anemone.jpeg

So then come this Sunday, wake up at 830am and look at my phone and see an alert from my Seneye device(while been unhappy with Seneye lately, it's just paid off) that it was out of water. Run out of the bedroom and into the office and what do I find a floor covered in water and a tank with about 15cm of water above the sand :(

Looking at the tank and I can see that the seal between the side of the tank has just come apart and water is just pouring through the glass.

So really quickly I get some of the water into bags and get all the fish and the anemone into the bag, next to its off to the pet shop to buy a new tank. Now the fun begins, as I am getting the rocks and sand out of the old tank, my wife comes running and tells me we need to take my 1-year-old son to the hospital, F**K, could the day get any better.

5 hours later, fish still in the bag, water still on the wood floor, son back from the hospital and asleep and its 830pm and me ready for bed coming down with a cold, back to the tank.

So finally get all the sand and rocks out of the old tank, save whatever water was left in the tank. Lucky I just have 200lts of Nature Seawater delivered, so I put all the heaters I have in each container of water to bring the temp up.

Remove the old tank, put the new one in, add the sand, the rocks and then the water, with just enough water to get the sump to filter. So by this point, I check the fish and looks like one of my Bangaii Cardinals has died but everything else seemed to be alive, at this point I am in complete shock, thinking by now that everything would be dead after a day in a bag with no heat or anything.

So I let the tank settle for about an hour and let the temp get back up to 24 degrees and then I start adding the first back. All seemed well and it's now midnight and I was like well it's either going to work or it's not I am going to bed.

The next morning I wake up, check my phone and no alert, I figure that's a good start. By this point, I figured the purple anemone would have died and I will be in for clean up. So down to the office and check on the tank and to my surprise, everyone is alive and well. In fact, my anemone is back in the same spot it was before and it on full display more than before.

Two days on and all is still well and on the bright side of things, I now have a bigger tank, my son is better. On the bad side, I need to replace my office floor somehow.

So some pics of the new tank

new tank 1.jpeg

new tank 2.jpeg

So I am not sure if I should be doing anything else to the tank now that I have pretty much replaced 85% of the water, I have run tests across everything and it seems to be in the same state as it was before, and I think I am very lucky I had the nature seawater on hand. If anyone recommends doing anything please let me know.
Nice save, quick thinking, and glad the looses weren’t greater! Also glad to hear your son is ok. When it rains it pours is definitely the way it works. Hope your re-flooring goes smoothly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back