Tank, Refugium, Sump, Idea... need to know if it will work, and any insights into the design

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am considering doing a new tank with a display refugium.

Tank will hopefully be 36" x 36" x 30" and sit on a 36" stand, giving it an overall height of 66" + a bit due to leveling feet. I know some of you will say maintenance, fish catching, coral mounting, etc will be a pain, but honestly, I'd rather that once in a while than me having to bend over to look into my tank every day. It will be in a walking/standing area vs a sitting area.

I also want a display fuge, I'm thinking a 40-breeder with a sump baffle.

Both tanks will have a Shadow overflow, or something similar, and both will be bean animal.

Here's a quick sketch of what I'd like to do:
AquariumRefugiumSumpIdea.jpg

So, first question I guess is, will this design work? In my head it does, water from display goes down overflow into fuge, water from fuge goes down overflow into sump, and then (not pictured) return pumps water back up to display.

Obviously there will be a gate valve or two involved (how many would you recommend? 1, or 2?) for the drain(s). The sump will house a skimmer and a couple of reactors, heaters, dosing stuff, etc.

The right side of the tank (and possibly the back of the tank) will be blacked out with vinyl or paint of some kind (on the exterior not interior) because I want to run the refugium daylight cycle opposite of the tanks. I know there will be some lightspill when the tank lights are on, but there should be none when the fuge lights are on, provided they're lower than the top of the tank.

Any other ideas, suggestions? Criticisms? Feedback (I didn't draw the rocks and fish, I used Adobe's Generative AI).

Thanks for reading

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, any problems I should be aware of? dangers of running a design like this? etc?
Flow can be a wee bit touchy. Also a power outage test to make sure sump can handle it.

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll have to have a controlled siphon with valve between the tank and refugium or it'll be gurgling nonstop. Otherwise should be fine I would think

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @sfin52 said make sure there is enough room in the sump in a power outage for draining of overflows. Been there done that myself. As for the fuge light light coming from the front of the fuge will still spill ambient light into the room/reef. My fuge is below the tank in an open stand Its on a reverse light cycle it bleeds into the tank from reflection off of stuff in the room. I dont think its anything to worry about. Everything still goes to sleep when the tank lights are going down/off. I have caught my tang in the front corner of the tank staring at me while I am at my computer at 6am drinking coffee wondering where his Nori is. I dont think the light is detrimental to the fish or corals though.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll have to have a controlled siphon with valve between the tank and refugium or it'll be gurgling nonstop. Otherwise should be fine I would think
Ok, so definitely 2 gate valves then, one between the tank and fuge, and one between the fuge and sump, yes?

Like @sfin52 said make sure there is enough room in the sump in a power outage for draining of overflows.
I generally use oversized sumps as it is, so I should be ok, I will definitely double check to make sure though.

As for the fuge light light coming from the front of the fuge will still spill ambient light into the room/reef. My fuge is below the tank in an open stand Its on a reverse light cycle it bleeds into the tank from reflection off of stuff in the room. I dont think its anything to worry about. Everything still goes to sleep when the tank lights are going down/off. I have caught my tang in the front corner of the tank staring at me while I am at my computer at 6am drinking coffee wondering where his Nori is. I dont think the light is detrimental to the fish or corals though.
Yeah, I assumed that there would be light spill into the room, and some of that light, through reflection/bouncing around would make its way back into the tank. My tanks have always run moonlights so I didn't expect that little amount of light to be a problem. My Flame Hawkfish likes to ninja stare at me no matter where in the room I am or what I am doing... He keeps an eye on me like I am gonna steal his lunch if he doesn't, lol.

Another thing I was considering for this build is an automatic phyto culture and feeder within the sump. Anyone have any experience with that? I saw a guy on youtube had one from some videos like 5 years ago (This was while I was searching for it specifically because the idea hit me while I was going down a rabbit hole of ideas in my head)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so definitely 2 gate valves then, one between the tank and fuge, and one between the fuge and sump, yes?

I generally use oversized sumps as it is, so I should be ok, I will definitely double check to make sure though.

Yeah, I assumed that there would be light spill into the room, and some of that light, through reflection/bouncing around would make its way back into the tank. My tanks have always run moonlights so I didn't expect that little amount of light to be a problem. My Flame Hawkfish likes to ninja stare at me no matter where in the room I am or what I am doing... He keeps an eye on me like I am gonna steal his lunch if he doesn't, lol.

Another thing I was considering for this build is an automatic phyto culture and feeder within the sump. Anyone have any experience with that? I saw a guy on youtube had one from some videos like 5 years ago (This was while I was searching for it specifically because the idea hit me while I was going down a rabbit hole of ideas in my head)
I did a refrigerator feed thing years ago. Small fridge, dosing pump, air pump it worked but wasnt great, foods I fed where a little big had to incorporate my ato into the feed line to keep it clean. For just phyto it would probably work great though.

A buddy of mine used to do a lot of phyto and he just did a gravity drip into his sump of a mixed batch. I think it was around 2 gallons a day. Skimmer off during day only on at night. Just an air pump to keep the mix moving. Wasnt perfect either think he went to a dosing pump eventually.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back