Should I paint the stand. This ones for fun and not so serious.

• Total voters
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife did well in surgery. Maybe I’ll be able to get some work done on the build today.

Also saw some great deals out there for reef related equipment. Pretty much all the sites have deals just cross check sites for pricing as I saw some decent differences in price on items.
I’m thinking about buying a tunze osmolator 3125 it’s $139 ar BRS normally $199
I was going to get the atk for my apex but with all the optical sensor issues I don’t want to take the chance until the rectify the optical sensor issue.

I do have a diy setup that works great idk maybe I’ll just use it. The only issue I had was the float switch holder. I may just control it by salinity probe and use the floats as safety back up.

Wow really seems like I’m all over the place on this ato setup lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to hear and nice build!

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read from first to last post I am happy to hear your wife is well.

This is quite a build and I will be following along closely and undoubtedly picking up a few ideas along the way. You are obviously way more motivated than I am. I started a build about November last year (ordered the tank and a ton of stuff from BRS) or January (that's the delivery of the tank) depending on what you'd consider the start. I then cut open my living room floor and braced for weight. Then built (overbuilt) my stand and place the tank on February 12. Since then I've kinda stalled out. I've made a lot of (bad) purchases that I thought were good at the time, paid contractors that never showed up, and have just been LAZY.

Over the last several months I have water tested the tank even though I have not plumbed it yet. I have kinda aquascaped it and don't think I like it. I've have several people look at it and they think it's great but I'm still not convinced. I've also built the walls around it so I is in effect a built in tank with a fish room built right in.

Since I filled it 5/8s for the water test I tossed in a few feeder gold fish. They are now 4-5" I need to get moving and think I may get motivated by your build.

Oh by the way 8' X 3' X 24" tall. About 345 gallons.

What size pumps are you going to use for return?

How many gallons sump?

What are you doing for lights?

Thanks again for sharing your build, Bill

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read from first to last post I am happy to hear your wife is well.

This is quite a build and I will be following along closely and undoubtedly picking up a few ideas along the way. You are obviously way more motivated than I am. I started a build about November last year (ordered the tank and a ton of stuff from BRS) or January (that's the delivery of the tank) depending on what you'd consider the start. I then cut open my living room floor and braced for weight. Then built (overbuilt) my stand and place the tank on February 12. Since then I've kinda stalled out. I've made a lot of (bad) purchases that I thought were good at the time, paid contractors that never showed up, and have just been LAZY.

Over the last several months I have water tested the tank even though I have not plumbed it yet. I have kinda aquascaped it and don't think I like it. I've have several people look at it and they think it's great but I'm still not convinced. I've also built the walls around it so I is in effect a built in tank with a fish room built right in.

Since I filled it 5/8s for the water test I tossed in a few feeder gold fish. They are now 4-5" I need to get moving and think I may get motivated by your build.

Oh by the way 8' X 3' X 24" tall. About 345 gallons.

What size pumps are you going to use for return?

How many gallons sump?

What are you doing for lights?

Thanks again for sharing your build, Bill

What size pumps are you going to use for return? I’m re-using my reeflo super dart gold with 4300 gph impeller

How many gallons sump? Haven’t done math yet on that probably between 125 to 150

What are you doing for lights? I have 4 A360WE’s from the 210 and ordering 3 60’’ Miro retro t5ho kits total 6 bulbs. Liked the new hybrids lights that just came out and BRS tested them with Kessils. Was impressive so I want to mimic that because the biggest one they make is 48’’

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Back at it again going to send this down and bondo any gaps and screw holes then start the epoxy. Yippee!
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanded and ready to Bondo
image.jpg

Going to do some polls to let you guys choose a few things on this build along the way so look forward to them.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@billandwende

I just calculated the volume of the sump and it all added up to 248.9 gallons. I’ll re do it after I finish it tomorrow but I think it should be right at 250 once I set the height of the pump sump weir.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to go outside and get started. Got to sand the fiberglass filler and look everything over before I epoxy. Also going to complete the sump and fiberglass the screw holes where needed.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to come over and carry it in for me lol.

I'm making it in two pieces and will assemble inside the house . That's were I'll add extra supports, glass etc. It is already heavy but two people can move it.

lol yea I was just wondering since it is so wide, unless you had some huge french doors or something.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back