Tank rim weight limit question

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a 40 breeder rimmed tank with a Tidal 110 hob filter on the back nearish a corner and a 36" Current Orbit light attached to the middle of the back on a single arm mount. So as my reefing journey has gone along I realize I need more light power to keep my guys happy but I also have no more money for a bunch of nice lights. So I just bought an amazon warehouse Smatfarm AquaStar light to add to my other light.

So in addition to figuring out how to position the lights together, I am wondering about how much I'm testing the strength of the back side of the tank and rim. I already have that heavy HOB filter and the Current light is not exactly lightweight, and this new light is heavier than it looks.

Any advice? If I put the new light on one side it won't look great but does that seem safer? I haven't been able to find any info on how much weight the sides can hold. Or I could move the HOB to the short side but I don't love that idea for aesthetics.

Also, this how far above the tank are people putting this light?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a rimmed tank you have enough strength to hold pretty much all you want, don't worry about it.

Also, this how far above the tank are people putting this light?
It's vastly different from fixture to fixture, and from tank to tank.
I would look for others with the same tank and light to see how high they installed theirs.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it. My 32 gallon has a clip on MH light, a hob skimmer, and hob GFO reactor. I would probably hang more if I had more room. I figure, collectively, it must weight a good 30 lbs, all hanging on to the top one inch of the glass. It freaks me out sometimes, but the tank is 17 years old, it has held up all this time.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a smat farm about 8" from the surface on a 50g rimless cube (24x24x20). Previous to that I had a nicrew 50w and 100w (@ different times). Never worried about dropping anything or breaking the 3/8 thick glass.

IMO I'd prolly sell the orbit and get a second smat farm. I love the light, best bang for the buck out there.

OP
OP
Tiny Ocean

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a smat farm about 8" from the surface on a 50g rimless cube (24x24x20). Previous to that I had a nicrew 50w and 100w (@ different times). Never worried about dropping anything or breaking the 3/8 thick glass.

IMO I'd prolly sell the orbit and get a second smat farm. I love the light, best bang for the buck out there.
Thank you for the info. I will probably, eventually.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back