Tank Size For Large Angels

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the average adult (in captivity) sizes for the following species of medium-large angels, what tank length and volume do you think one would need to house them comfortably for their entire lives? The species I’m interested in are:

Apolemichthys:
Goldflake (A. Xanthopunctatus) (CB)

Pomacanthus:
Majestic (P. “Euxiphipops” Navarchus) (CB)
Arabian (P. Asfur) (CB)
Emperor (P. Imperator) (CB)

Chaetodontoplus:
Blue Line (C. Septentrionalis) or “Maze” hybrids (C. “Cephalareticulatus” / C. “Chrysocephalus”) (CB)

Conspicuous (C. Conspicillatus) ($$) (CB)

Pygoplites:
Regal (P. Diacanthus) (CB)

Maybe Genicanthus.

What is their swim pattern like compared to Tangs? Do any get too big for the average tank? (5-6ft range)

As in standard 150 or 180.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the average adult (in captivity) sizes for the following species of medium-large angels, what tank length and volume do you think one would need to house them comfortably for their entire lives? The species I’m interested in are:

Apolemichthys:
Goldflake (A. Xanthopunctatus)

Pomacanthus:
Majestic (P. “Euxiphipops” Navarchus)
Arabian (P. Asfur)
Emperor (P. Imperator)

Chaetodontoplus:
Blue Line (C. Septentrionalis) or “Maze” hybrids (C. “Cephalareticulatus” / C. “Chrysocephalus”)

Pygoplites:
Regal (P. Diacanthus)

Maybe Genicanthus.

What is their swim pattern like compared to Tangs? Do any get too big for the average tank? (5-6ft range)

As in standard 150 or 180.
I have a Majestic and Regal currently and have had experience with all of the angels in question in an LFS environment so I can comment on their swim pattern but I can only really comment on 3 in terms of what I’ve had experience with in my own reef.

I’ll start with my current two and then also my previous girl (G. melanospilos x) here’s my answer (from newest to oldest);

The Majestic has only been with me for about a month now, and she’s grown maybe 0.25”. Her growth is slow so for a juvenile I’d probably say a 4’ tank can hold these guys for Atleast the first year of their life if not 2-3 years. I’d personally aim for a 5’ tank as an adult though as they are one of the smallest of the large angels and from what I’ve seen they don’t get much over 5-6”. Their swimming pattern compared to tangs is more relaxed, they don’t swim too much but they aren’t overly relaxed. I’ve found they’re slightly more like Dwarf angels in their swimming.
IMG_5592.jpeg

As for my Regal, she’s been with me for 6 months now and she hasn’t grown much. I got her as a 2.5-3” juvenile and she’s still the same size but definitely become more blue. In terms of tank size, I’d say a 4’ can hold an adult for a good 4-5 years maybe even longer as their growth rate is incredibly slow and as you said, they don’t seem to get bigger than 5”. Their swim pattern is much more relaxed, they seem to hang around caves more though so again I’d probably say imagine a very happy coral beauty that you can see more often than not :)
IMG_5590.jpeg

As for Genicanthus species, I only really have experience with my melanospilos hybrid. This guy was in love with the high flow areas above my rockwork and didn’t really spend much time in the rocks at all. He was often up and in the flow swimming at full speed. Again I’d say 4’ tank minimum for a Genicanthus species as they’re not slow growing but I’ve never had one get above 6-7” I’d honestly say 5’-6’ is a great tank size for a pair of Geni maybe even a trio.
IMG_0604.jpeg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian Sprung has an adult Emperor and his tank is basically like a big cube. Based on videos I’ve seen. Has lots of corals and that angel has room to not just go along each side but from back to back and diagonal. People often forget fish don’t just swim along the glass and having a deeper tanks provides more real estate when length desired not an option. I’d rather have a 4’ X 3’ tank than a 6’ X 2’. Both have the same overall surface area yet I feel that depth allows better movement for its larger inhabitants.

Not saying 4’ is long enough but the focus being depth I feel is more important and allows fudging on length if not available. Obviously the bigger overall is best but we don’t all have a field of dreams size room to place our box in.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info, it looks like many large angels aren’t hyperactive swimmers like many Tangs. Would be nice if someone can pitch in for Apolemichthys, Chaetodontoplus, Asfurs or give more experience on the species I mentioned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back