What are the differences between these angelfish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I’ve been looking at different angelfish and noticed in each genus there are Atleast two that look VERY similar. What are the clear differences in these fish when you see them in person? In photos they look slightly different but in person they tend to look VERY similar.

Groups of Centropyge that look similar:

C. multispinis, C. bispinosa, juvenile C. flavipectoralis

C. acanthops, C. aurantonotus, C. resplendens, C. argi (I know Argi is obvious but I have seen them get mixed up sometimes)

C. shepardi, C. ferrugata, C. loricula (Again, I know loricula is obvious but they may get mixed up now with similar price tags)

C. heraldi, C. flavissima, C. cocosensis

C. fisheri, C. flavicauda, adult C. flavipectoralis

C. interrupta and C. joculator

Groups of Chaetodontoplus that look similar:

C. meredithi, C. personifer, C. vanderloosi, C. cf melanosoma “Japan”

C. conspicillatus, C. melanosoma

C. poliourus, C. mesoleucus

C. cephaloreticulatus, C. septentrionalis

Groups of Apolemichthys that look similar:

A. xanthurus, A. xanthotis, Juvenile A. xanthopunctatus

A. xanthopunctatus, A. trimaculatus

Groups of Pomacanthus that look similar:

P. arcuatus, P. paru (These mainly look similar as juveniles but adults can also look similar under certain lighting)

P. asfur, P. maculosus

P. koran, P. navarchus, P. imperator, P. xanthometopon, P. semicirculatus, P. sextriatus (These all look VERY VERY similar as juveniles)

Groups of Holacanthus that look similar:

H. cilliaris, H. bermudensis

H. passer, H. claironensis

Groups of angels from different genera that are similar:

A. xanthurus, C. poliourus, C. mesoleucus

Obviously, this is just a starting list and if you have any more angels that are commonly mixed up or sometimes mixed up (Wether that’s just as juveniles or as adults aswell) then please don’t be afraid and add them!! Help people to see differences between similar species :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I’ve been looking at different angelfish and noticed in each genus there are Atleast two that look VERY similar. What are the clear differences in these fish when you see them in person? In photos they look slightly different but in person they tend to look VERY similar.

Groups of Centropyge that look similar:

C. multispinis, C. bispinosa, juvenile C. flavipectoralis

C. acanthops, C. aurantonotus, C. resplendens, C. argi (I know Argi is obvious but I have seen them get mixed up sometimes)

C. shepardi, C. ferrugata, C. loricula (Again, I know loricula is obvious but they may get mixed up now with similar price tags)

C. heraldi, C. flavissima, C. cocosensis

C. fisheri, C. flavicauda, adult C. flavipectoralis

C. interrupta and C. joculator

Groups of Chaetodontoplus that look similar:

C. meredithi, C. personifer, C. vanderloosi, C. cf melanosoma “Japan”

C. conspicillatus, C. melanosoma

C. poliourus, C. mesoleucus

C. cephaloreticulatus, C. septentrionalis

Groups of Apolemichthys that look similar:

A. xanthurus, A. xanthotis, Juvenile A. xanthopunctatus

A. xanthopunctatus, A. trimaculatus

Groups of Pomacanthus that look similar:

P. arcuatus, P. paru (These mainly look similar as juveniles but adults can also look similar under certain lighting)

P. asfur, P. maculosus

P. koran, P. navarchus, P. imperator, P. xanthometopon, P. semicirculatus, P. sextriatus (These all look VERY VERY similar as juveniles)

Groups of Holacanthus that look similar:

H. cilliaris, H. bermudensis

H. passer, H. claironensis

Groups of angels from different genera that are similar:

A. xanthurus, C. poliourus, C. mesoleucus

Obviously, this is just a starting list and if you have any more angels that are commonly mixed up or sometimes mixed up (Wether that’s just as juveniles or as adults aswell) then please don’t be afraid and add them!! Help people to see differences between similar species :)

Then there are some angels that don't seem to fit into any sub-group, like rock beauties and regals. I've seen angels split into groups like this, back in my day, we did it visually as you have here. However, it really needs to be done through genetic analysis, as coloration alone may not show relatedness (Maculosus and Asfur angels for example, look similar but are not that related). Here is a link to an article that discusses some of this for the genus Centropyge:

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 172 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back