Tank size preference- length or width

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of ordering a new tank. I have narrowed the space down to either a 8x2x2 tank or a 6x3x2 tank.
What would most prefer? The extra length or the extra width?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tough call. For me, I prefer the 6x3x2 over the 8x2x2. I feel the extra width gives opportunity for more depth in the aquascape. However...and this is BIG HOWEVER...I do think it depends on whether you're planning a peninsula or a standard side view tank. If I were going standard side view, I think my answer would change to the 8x2x2 for ease of maintenance. I wouldn't want to try to figure out how to access that extra foot of width from only 1 side.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1300 sq foot finished basement I'm planning on putting a tank in. There's a steal on a 210 that is 6'x2'x2.5' and I still can't pull the trigger
Well you probably came to the wrong place to talk you out of it... Really thought that sounds too small for your basement. ;)

I Dont Want To Changed My Mind GIF by NETFLIX

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough call. For me, I prefer the 6x3x2 over the 8x2x2. I feel the extra width gives opportunity for more depth in the aquascape. However...and this is BIG HOWEVER...I do think it depends on whether you're planning a peninsula or a standard side view tank. If I were going standard side view, I think my answer would change to the 8x2x2 for ease of maintenance. I wouldn't want to try to figure out how to access that extra foot of width from only 1 side.

it’s funny you say that, if I go 8’ it will be against a wall. If I go 6’ it will be a peninsula style.

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre both great sizes. Which one id chose depends on viewing angles and what you plan to keep.

8’ would be against a wall.. 6’ would be be peninsula style. Planning a mixed reef with mostly smaller fish (I’m a fan of lots of smaller active fish)… maybe a tang or two at most

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the 6x3 then. Youll be able to show off alot more coral and have an intricate scape with lots of rock for the smaller fish to hide in. Still plenty of space for some tangs too. If you wanted to keep a large group of tangs id say the 8ft. But i definitely prefer peninsula style vs against the wall.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would do the 6x3 then. Youll be able to show off alot more coral and have an intricate scape with lots of rock for the smaller fish to hide in. Still plenty of space for some tangs too. If you wanted to keep a large group of tangs id say the 8ft. But i definitely prefer peninsula style vs against the wall.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am in the process of ordering a new tank. I have narrowed the space down to either a 8x2x2 tank or a 6x3x2 tank.
What would most prefer? The extra length or the extra width?
I like extra width if you can fit it. More room for islands. I feel like there's more usable space in wide tanks rather than long tanks.

bud217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has the 6*3*2 and it's a great size/dimension. However I will say if it's built in a wall like his is, it can be difficult to reach towards the front middle but the rock work he can do with that depth is much more awesome than I can with only 2' depth in my 180.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back