Tank Size

Which tank size will be better for me? Please help me choose.

• 36 inch wide X 30 inch deep X 24 inch high (If so why?)

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • 30 inch wide X 30 inch deep X 24 inch high (If so why?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 24 inch wide X 24 inch deep X 24 inch high (If so why?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stocking list:
Fish:
2 Clownfish (most probably Ocellaris Clownfish)
2 Banggai Cardinal
1 Tomini Tang
1 Purple/Yellow Tang
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 McCosker‘s Flasher Wrasse (male)
1 Pink/Purple Firefish
1 Randall’s Prawn Goby
Invert:
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Randall’s Pistol Shrimp
10 Nassarius Snails
5 Cerith Snails
15 Trochus Snails

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above.

If you want to keep tangs - especially purple or yellow tangs - you should really try for at least a 4' long tank. 5' or 6' long is better, though I think 4' is fine for a tomini. Tangs really need a lot of straight-line swimming space to accommodate their zoomy nature. Too small of a tank and they get stressed out and aggressive.

Other than that, bigger is pretty much always better, at least in terms of fish. More space equals more room for everyone to have spaces where they can feel comfortable and claim ownership. More space is also just more space, and from the perspective of the fish bigger is always better, pretty much without exception. If you can't go bigger than 3' long, then give up the purple/yellow and stick with the tomini.

Your own circumstances might make one of the other sizes a better fit for your life and home, but since you didn't include anything about that, I can only consider it from the perspective of the fish.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above.

If you want to keep tangs - especially purple or yellow tangs - you should really try for at least a 4' long tank. 5' or 6' long is better, though I think 4' is fine for a tomini. Tangs really need a lot of straight-line swimming space to accommodate their zoomy nature. Too small of a tank and they get stressed out and aggressive.

Other than that, bigger is pretty much always better, at least in terms of fish. More space equals more room for everyone to have spaces where they can feel comfortable and claim ownership. More space is also just more space, and from the perspective of the fish bigger is always better, pretty much without exception. If you can't go bigger than 3' long, then give up the purple/yellow and stick with the tomini.

Your own circumstances might make one of the other sizes a better fit for your life and home, but since you didn't include anything about that, I can only consider it from the perspective of the fish.
I am planning on upgrading in a year or two and I will get small tangs. I will probably upgrade to a 120 or 160. So it should be fine right? If I can convince my parents I might just be able to start with a 120.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just wait to get the tangs and some of the others on that list in a year or two when you upgrade? It would be a shame to get fish you can't house long term if the upgrade plan falls flat.....as many plans do.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just wait to get the tangs and some of the others on that list in a year or two when you upgrade? It would be a shame to get fish you can't house long term if the upgrade plan falls flat.....as many plans do.
Yeah, that also works. If I can start with a 120 then I'll add them or else I will wait for the upgrade.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that also works. If I can start with a 120 then I'll add them or else I will wait for the upgrade.
No offense but it sounds like you need to do some research before setting up any tank. The fact that you thought certain of those fish could be housed in any of those listed dimensions let alone all of them plus the other inhabitants is evidence of this. You need to make choices based on the animals needs first and foremost. You're in the right place here to learn what you need before making any purchases.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense but it sounds like you need to do some research before setting up any tank. The fact that you thought certain of those fish could be housed in any of those listed dimensions let alone all of them plus the other inhabitants is evidence of this. You need to make choices based on the animals needs first and foremost. You're in the right place here to learn what you need before making any purchases.
Yeah. This is just a list that I made. This is not final. I will change it and reduce the number of fish by half. I am just 13 years old and still doing research. So it is still not final.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I get it. Just learn everything you can before getting live animals. If you don't the animals suffer. I'm sure you can have a tank with all of those fish someday. Good luck. :)

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I get it. Just learn everything you can before getting live animals. If you don't the animals suffer. I'm sure you can have a tank with all of those fish someday. Good luck. :)
Thank you :) I had a small fowlr tank before but I never had a reef tank. So I am still researching.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, and my tang which is a cousin to the tomini - the Blue eye kole/Twinspot bristletooth, is in my 4’ tank and he uses it all. Especially the length, I watch him zoom across the tank every so often - He does it daily, he’s only 2” so it’s not stress and nothing bullies him so I’m not completely worried about the zooming except for the glass getting in the way so I’m hoping to get atleast a 6’ tank in the near future because I can’t imagine a full 8” bristletooth in such a small tank - Although, I don’t believe he will get to the max 8” that has been recorded in the wild.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. This is just a list that I made. This is not final. I will change it and reduce the number of fish by half. I am just 13 years old and still doing research. So it is still not final.
Dear Reefing, the best advice is to go slow and learn all you can before diving in. Suggest you take a look at Bulk Reef Supply's free videos on their Youtube website. They cover all the basics and then some. Also, read Ron Reefman's articles here (and others). Google each fish so you can study up on whether they are compatible and the minimum tank size needed. Some will eat your corals or be bullies so you may not want them. And some are not good for beginners. This forum is a great place to ask all your questions too.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back