Tank smells like a febreezd fruitcake

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smell test is the first thing I do every morning with my tank. If it smells like the ocean then we're good. If it smells funky then I know I got a problem somewhere.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terpenes have an odor but not fruity. Have you done any baking or using candles? The smell CAN reach the tank.
Carbon should alleviate any wierd smells. Also check skimmer if youre using one
My wife loves candles. They’re always burning. Fruit may be the wrong word here too though. I’m not really sure what to call it but it’s strange and smells kinda sweet and alcohol-y.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My wife loves candles. They’re always burning. Fruit may be the wrong word here too though. I’m not really sure what to call it but it’s strange and smells kinda sweet and alcohol-y.
Candles possible. Are you using NoPox or vodka dosing ?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the too white. I run my sunset/sunrise ones at the same time to kinda beat back the whiteness some
Yeah I do too. But I have no regrets with my purchase. Saved a lot of money and looks stunning. I’m so glad I didn’t buy Steve’s or an AI/Kessil like everyone else did. Here’s a few links if you’re interested:

Reef bars (get 2 1ft strips and a power supply and no dimmer):

Dimmer (one that can be ordered with the bars aren’t good)

Video I replicated this in (keep in mind this guy filmed it when he had them at 25%) When they’re at 100% the color is much more blue and looks a lot better):

Little shameless self promotion. Ill be making a video on my experiences on it in the coming weeks to keep an eye out for it here if you’re interested:

Definitely worth the 55 bucks in my opinion

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do too. But I have no regrets with my purchase. Saved a lot of money and looks stunning. I’m so glad I didn’t buy Steve’s or an AI/Kessil like everyone else did. Here’s a few links if you’re interested:

Reef bars (get 2 1ft strips and a power supply and no dimmer):

Dimmer (one that can be ordered with the bars aren’t good)

Video I replicated this in (keep in mind this guy filmed it when he had them at 25%) When they’re at 100% the color is much more blue and looks a lot better):

Little shameless self promotion. Ill be making a video on my experiences on it in the coming weeks to keep an eye out for it here if you’re interested:

Definitely worth the 55 bucks in my opinion

How did you attach them? I like these as an option

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you attach them? I like these as an option
I attached them with super strong double sided tape. I believe they are waterproof just in case something happens. I just placed one on the top part of the light and where the light panel and the black area meet.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting terpenes can have a huge variety of smells. There is a lot of varieties of even terpenes. Would be hard to pin down. Like something like lemon oil vs pine resin both have terpenes. We need smell-o-vision here. Really scratching my head here.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting terpenes can have a huge variety of smells. There is a lot of varieties of even terpenes. Would be hard to pin down. Like something like lemon oil vs pine resin both have terpenes. We need smell-o-vision here. Really scratching my head here.
Yeah I read somewhere they’re a fruity smell of they smell like weed. But I’m not sure it matters. Nothing in my tank is acting strange. I just thought it was weird.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I read somewhere they’re a fruity smell of they smell like weed. But I’m not sure it matters. Nothing in my tank is acting strange. I just thought it was weird.
alpha pinene... this is a huge reason why you might get that from those anyway. In reality there is a huge amount or "terpenes" look at essential oil blending. Any bit of one or the other can influence smell by huge amounts.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back