Toadstool coral

Quita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’m posting for someone with a reef tank. The tank has a toadstool coral, it’s been in there for a couple of weeks. As soon the toadstool was placed in the tank, within an hour all its polyps had appeared and it was beautiful. However over the last week and a half or two it hasn’t had any of its polyps up. It is still alive, there’s no signs of it disintegrating and the top of it moves up toward the light and down becoming more flat if you can understand what I mean. However there’s a lot of algae. Unfortunately the tank crashed after it was placed in. Alkalinity was 6, Ca was 286ppm, magnesium was 960ppm. All these levels have been restored now. Alkalinity is 11 and has been within the 8-12 range for a few days. Calcium is 450, magnesium is 1200. Unfortunately the nitrates also rises over the weekend to 20ppm. They did a 60L water change and they are now 5ppm. The water change also bought down phosphate from 0.3 to 0. Ammonia and nitrite have always been zero. The morph corals have always looked excellent. The Zoas most are open and the firework polyps I think they’re called have reopened. Most were open for a few days and had retracted back in. But they look good now. The toadstool is high but it’s more to the back of the tank, does it need more flow?

There’s a leather finger singularia as well. That has also been quite closed. It used to be very open but for about a week it’s been short and closed. They just adjusted the flow. They pointed the pumps directly at it as much as they could but I’m not sure if that’s the right thing for them to do. Online they’ve found a mix of responses. Some saying high flow some saying moderate flow. But they had to move the rock with the anemone on as the flow was pointing directly on that as well. I’m not sure whether moving the rock placing it on the side of the tank where it doesn’t have the same amount of flow in the position it finally settled in is going to cause it to move again which could kill their corals.

Any advice on whether there is anything that can be done for the toadstool and singular and whether they need to be moved or that may just stress them out even more. And whether you can rub the algae off the toadstool as I read on a post on another thread.

image.jpg image.jpg

killerinstinct

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the toadstool has algae on its polyps it won’t open up, you can use a turkey baster to push off any algae bubbles on it, and your tank is fluctuating up and down so every thing is still getting used to the parameters. I also have a leather finger and the wave maker is not directly towards it but has moderate flow .

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back