Tank Stand Build

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to build an aquarium stand. I needed it to house the sump and hardware. I think it came out great. I'm not finished just yet. I will be adding siding and stained but also I will be adding a clear panel to the front where the refugium will be. I brought the measurements to Lowe's and they cut everything there. I figured that would save time and it did. Finished the build in 4ish hours including breaks and a Dr. Who episode.
7fcdd7f0a692e741a652eac11bbe4ad5.jpg
d746d936503fd0074d6c50f5cedc6980.jpg

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to have fully removable panels. I was thinking having it attach with flat hooks so I can remove the sides completely for maintenance. The front one I will cut a hole in to show the refugium through.
I attached the type of hooks I plan to use.

wall-fixings-for-flat-panel-hooks-di-bond-hangers-pack-of-2--[2]-1296-p.jpg

Mike_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to following this. i just build a stand myself as well and want a similar design for my doors to be fully removable but hidden so you don't know they are doors.

Are you worried about the weight in the center along the front not having a middle support?

Can you take a photo underneath the top

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a glass 55 gallon now with trim. Most of the weight will be in the sides. But I opted for the full solid top with rear support. The solid top will distribute the weight and I'm not worried about sag. If for some reason I see any problems or sag I will put two 45° corner joints in the front. That will keep my access hole as big as possible.
29ff25728335c9ec1b0fe6357c660d8b.jpg

Mike_K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am liking the big access and thinking of removing the center support as well. My stand has a 55 on it but was built for a 75 or 90 for the future and also because of how wide my sump is.

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine to go up to a custom 110 or 125 gallon. Mine is so large because of our sump. It will fit in between the bottom 2x4s. I'm going to coat the inside of the base with a sealant and place a water sensor in there also. It won't hold all the water in the sump but if I have a small leak I want to know before it gets too big too handle.

4radz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Like your removable panel hardware. Did you get that at Lowe’s also?

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't have the hardware yet. We have to decide what panels to put on it first. Then I will be able to figure out which hooks to use for the weight.

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!! I built my stand as well with removable panels. I used cabinet magnets to hold the panels in place.

The easy access was worth it.

Kmack0415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice! I've been trying to figure out how to attach my panels on mine and I really like those hooks! Where do you get them or do you have a name brand I can search for?

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice! I've been trying to figure out how to attach my panels on mine and I really like those hooks! Where do you get them or do you have a name brand I can search for?

They are some sort of Bracket Interlock Hook (google search).
There are ones that are long and flat called French Cleat (google search). I believe these are what I will use.

Example for those on mobile or that just don't want to click, this is a french cleat that can easily be built with wood or bought at your hardware store.
51mobe0arTL._SY450_.jpg

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken this morning. I still haven't put sides on yet. I have a few more things to go. Well a few might be an understatement, does it ever stop?
3275e1fae1c810517b487a7bb4f238da.jpg

M

member 99594

View Badges
I just build one very similar to yours. I was wondering, do you think it should be painted to protect it from moisture?

OP
OP
M

mipstien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least put something on it to help. I covered mine in polyurethane and it is somewhat smooth so it's easy to wipe up things.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back