Tank stocking (141 gallon peninsula)

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a waterbox 6026 peninsula, 60”x26x24, here are some thoughts on fish:
2 clowns (unsure of type yet)
2 yellow tangs
Kole tang
Another bristletooth tang
Hippo tang
Chromis or Anthias (possibly a group?)

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Great that you are setting up such a nice tank! Do you have experience with keeping (multiple) tangs?

I think your tank is not quite big enough to house 5 tangs. 60 inch is enough to house the smaller ones like the yellow tang, but a bit on the small side for a hippo... You could keep a hippo if that would be the only tang in the tank. Tangs are pretty agressive and I think it will lead to problems later on.

From a different perspective, I’m not here to tell you what to do. If you like these fish so much and really want to keep them all, I will give some other tips.

Make sure you have a good read on introducing tangs as they should be put in all at once. This will of course result in a huge bioload being introduced to the tank, which should best not have to much rock in the display (concerning space to swim). So be prepared to keep up with the dirt produced by these beautiful fish!

Looking forward to see your tank!

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Great that you are setting up such a nice tank! Do you have experience with keeping (multiple) tangs?

I think your tank is not quite big enough to house 5 tangs. 60 inch is enough to house the smaller ones like the yellow tang, but a bit on the small side for a hippo... You could keep a hippo if that would be the only tang in the tank. Tangs are pretty agressive and I think it will lead to problems later on.

From a different perspective, I’m not here to tell you what to do. If you like these fish so much and really want to keep them all, I will give some other tips.

Make sure you have a good read on introducing tangs as they should be put in all at once. This will of course result in a huge bioload being introduced to the tank, which should best not have to much rock in the display (concerning space to swim). So be prepared to keep up with the dirt produced by these beautiful fish!

Looking forward to see your tank!
I have been debating the hippo tang, have had thoughts about getting it very small and seeing how it does as it gets larger. In regards to the smaller yellow and kole tangs, do you think adding the two yellows at the same time and then 2-4 weeks later adding the kole tangs? Dependent upon water parameters of course.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank and think your list is a bit tang heavy. I have a hippo and purple in my 5' tank and think that's probably all it can handle. The hippo has been in a few different 5' tanks over the last 6 or 7 years and doing fine. Ideally it would have a 10'+ tank to cruise around as would any tang. Anthias are a great choice as they add a ton of movement to a tank. Just make sure to keep them fed. Chromis will whittle themselves down to 1 eventually. Clowns are a great choice and fun addition to a tank. They will eventually get territorial if they pair up. Good luck with you tank. Look forward to seeing a build thread and or pictures soon.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating the hippo tang, have had thoughts about getting it very small and seeing how it does as it gets larger. In regards to the smaller yellow and kole tangs, do you think adding the two yellows at the same time and then 2-4 weeks later adding the kole tangs? Dependent upon water parameters of course.
If you can’t add them all at the same time, I think the best idea is to re-arrange all the rocks whenever you put a new tang in the tank.

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t add them all at the same time, I think the best idea is to re-arrange all the rocks whenever you put a new tang in the tank.
Would adding four of them at the same time be ok? They would have to be added last from what I understand? Most likely I will add a pair of clowns first and some other peaceful fish, also making sure to add bacteria with each addition, as well as QT new fish for at least 30 days.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns (unsure of type yet) Great, assuming occ or perc
2 yellow tangs I would recommend one instead of multiple. Zebrasoma can be really intolerant of each other.
Kole tang Great
Another bristletooth tang Again, I would just do one in the Genus. you could substitute, perhaps, a convict tang or mag foxface.
Hippo tang I would nix this one
Chromis or Anthias (possibly a group?) More folks report success of groups of anthias than chromis. I would stay away from Bartlett or lyretail if you want a group. Dispar, carberryii, ignitus are good ones.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding four of them at the same time be ok? They would have to be added last from what I understand? Most likely I will add a pair of clowns first and some other peaceful fish, also making sure to add bacteria with each addition, as well as QT new fish for at least 30 days.
Adding 4 tangs at the same time in that size of tank would be really pushing it IMO. I also understand that practically it is a hard thing to do in a new set-up tank. Maybe you could add some extra bioload once your system has established with your first pairs of fish.
Some tips:
- Keep a bottle of prime and stability ready in case things go bad/ be ready for water changes.
- check for ammonia on a daily basis
- Maybe try to find some established filter media from a tank with a higher bioload (Ask to put some sponges in their sump
- Make sure you buy the tangs as small as possible

Regarding the QT. I think for a tang it would be better to even QT them a bit longer. I don’t remember by heart the lifecycle of the marine ich parasite, but would suggest at least that period as a minimum.

Maybe have a good read about doing some copper treatment or hiposalinity to quarantine the tangs.

BTW, it would be perfectly possible that you drop the 4 tangs in your tank at once and everything goes fine. Just trying to increase your chance of successfully pulling this off.

OP
OP
LT43

LT43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank and think your list is a bit tang heavy. I have a hippo and purple in my 5' tank and think that's probably all it can handle. The hippo has been in a few different 5' tanks over the last 6 or 7 years and doing fine. Ideally it would have a 10'+ tank to cruise around as would any tang. Anthias are a great choice as they add a ton of movement to a tank. Just make sure to keep them fed. Chromis will whittle themselves down to 1 eventually. Clowns are a great choice and fun addition to a tank. They will eventually get territorial if they pair up. Good luck with you tank. Look forward to seeing a build thread and or pictures soon.
Build thread here:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back