Tank stocking choices in 50 gallon.

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now, we plan on getting a tank. (Prob FOWLR) The current stocking choices are as followed and are not being added in this particular order. Any changes or addition suggestions welcome.
1 Six-line wrasse
1 Flame Angel
1 Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish? (Probably not)
Trio of anthias (suggestions for type welcome)
1 Valentini puffer
Royal Gramma
Pair of clowns
Orchid or neon dotty-back.

The six line is a must so if you are making suggestions, please make them with the six line in consideration. Thanks

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most anthias are like tangs in that they need bigger tanks and I wouldn’t put 3 in a 50 gallon. I’d be cautious of the puffer and small fish and cut the stock in half or go with all small reef fish. As the compatibly of your list is an issue as well as size of the tank for that livestock. And I’d avoid the dottyback and gramma together as they are both aggressive.
I’d do the wrasse, pair of clowns, dottyback or gramma, the flame Angel, and/or a few small schooling fish like chromis or cardinalfish. The lionfish most definitely would need his own tank or fish bigger than him if you don’t want the fish to get eaten.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most anthias are like tangs in that they need bigger tanks and I wouldn’t put 3 in a 50 gallon. I’d be cautious of the puffer and small fish and cut the stock in half or go with all small reef fish. As the compatibly of your list is an issue as well as size of the tank for that livestock. And I’d avoid the dottyback and gramma together as they are both aggressive.
I’d do the wrasse, pair of clowns, dottyback or gramma, the flame Angel, and/or a few small schooling fish like chromis or cardinalfish. The lionfish most definitely would need his own tank or fish bigger than him if you don’t want the fish to get eaten.
Ok. The lionfish probably wasn’t going to happen. i won’t do anthias either and I probably will do cardinals. Do you not suggest the puffer because it’s not reef safe?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K well fish only with live rock u don't need pristine numbers like a reef tank to keep coral alive but u might get bad hair algae outbreak or cyano from time to time. Even with lots of Filtration. Remember to keep your Filtration clean as a tank is only as clean as its Filtration. Maybe a bio pellet reactor too.
Also keep the rodi filters changed every 6-8month so your rodi water is nice and zero.
D

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now, we plan on getting a tank. (Prob FOWLR) The current stocking choices are as followed and are not being added in this particular order. Any changes or addition suggestions welcome.
1 Six-line wrasse
1 Flame Angel
1 Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish? (Probably not)
Trio of anthias (suggestions for type welcome)
1 Valentini puffer
Royal Gramma
Pair of clowns
Orchid or neon dotty-back.

The six line is a must so if you are making suggestions, please make them with the six line in consideration. Thanks
Good luck with a six… you’ll need overly aggressive fish to keep him in line, usually tangs do the trick but considering tank size you’ll need to find something of the same aggression level as tangs but have it fit in the tank.

I have dealt with some aggressive wrasses, Melanomarginatus, all three variants of Scottorum, Jades, Coris species ect… To keep them in line you need to make sure you have a fish that will keep them in line.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. The lionfish probably wasn’t going to happen. i won’t do anthias either and I probably will do cardinals. Do you not suggest the puffer because it’s not reef safe?
Correct. But he could go with fish slightly bigger than him but in a 50 gallon you are kind of limited but I did read about possibly clownish and that type of puffer.

OP
OP
R

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with a six… you’ll need overly aggressive fish to keep him in line, usually tangs do the trick but considering tank size you’ll need to find something of the same aggression level as tangs but have it fit in the tank.

I have dealt with some aggressive wrasses, Melanomarginatus, all three variants of Scottorum, Jades, Coris species ect… To keep them in line you need to make sure you have a fish that will keep them in line.
Do you have any suggestions. Maybe a tomato or cinnamon Clown?

OP
OP
R

RV Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wha
Correct. But he could go with fish slightly bigger than him but in a 50 gallon you are kind of limited but I did read about possibly clownish and that type of puffer

what do you believe about the puffer. If it’s a fowlr, I’m not worried about reef safe. If a puffer was a must in my family, what puffer would you suggest?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back