Tank stocking

Scotty81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, im after some fish stocking advice. I currently have 2 smaller tanks, 1 is a 17 Gallon with a pair of Black and white Occelaris and a Talbot's Damzel, the other is a 35 gallon with a pair of normal Occelaris, a blue Damzel, Yellow Tang and a Western Australian Stripey. Im currently collecting the components for a bigger tank 2/3rds of the way there. The new tank will be 5x2x2 (140 gallon) with a 30 gallon sump. Im intending to have two separate rock piles in the tank and putting both my smaller tanks inhabitants in (I'll keep one of the other tanks running in case the clown pairs fight). I plan to keep a few corals but I'm not overly fussed about fish nipping at them. I'd like to add 2 more Tangs, 2 of the following three if possible Purple Tang, Powder Brown and Powder Blue, also a Coral Beauty and Flame Angel. Other than that maybe some gobies and blennies. Just after some advice as to wether this is doable or not recommended?

I will likely move the Stripey on as it has served its purpose (decimated the aptasia I had) but im open to keep it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Powder and purple tangs- may be aggressive
Flame and coral beauty- possible fighting
Tomini tang and hepatus tang peaceful as is gem tang
I have more than 1 flame angel and model citizens

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that mixing Zebrasomas is not a good idea. I have been researching this for months, wanting to add a purple into my existing yellow and blue hippo family. Every fish is different and noone can assure you of what will happen in your tank but I have found way too many negative stories of the yellow and purple fighting to be alpha that I am giving up on the idea.
Maybe it will work for you? Maybe not. What are you willing to do if you have a conflict? I would not be willing to set up a new system, nor would I want to have to rehome such expensive fish. The decision is up to you, just take your time and weigh all the factors.

OP
OP
S

Scotty81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the replies. How bout from a tank size point of view?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back