MichaelP121579

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I Currently have a JBJ AIO 30 Gallon tank, I was going to put a sump under it, well the Esshops cube Medium I ordered is 1" to big, so I looked into getting a stand. Then I found a new tank I bought it cheap. 31x31x15! Love it! BUT.... the concern now is I bought a skimz quitepro 2.0 return 589gph (max) I also have (1) AI Prime HD I am gonna have to add more lighting. Also I have a brown alge problem, I let my wife feed tank for a while and she over fed, phosphates got up to 1.04, I have got them down to .13 as of Saturday. What I plan do do is make up new saltwater get the new tank up and running and toothbrush off as much alge as I can and transfer all coral and fish to new tank. Hopefully other than a mino cycle I can eliminate all phosphates. would appreciate some suggestions. Here is some picks of JBJ and my new tank as well, you can see in the picks where the tank went down hill fast..

20190707_202610.jpg 20190902_165025.jpg 20181015_181527.jpg 20181226_212733.jpg received_2580583175293257.jpeg

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Currently have a JBJ AIO 30 Gallon tank, I was going to put a sump under it, well the Esshops cube Medium I ordered is 1" to big, so I looked into getting a stand. Then I found a new tank I bought it cheap. 31x31x15! Love it! BUT.... the concern now is I bought a skimz quitepro 2.0 return 589gph (max) I also have (1) AI Prime HD I am gonna have to add more lighting. Also I have a brown alge problem, I let my wife feed tank for a while and she over fed, phosphates got up to 1.04, I have got them down to .13 as of Saturday. What I plan do do is make up new saltwater get the new tank up and running and toothbrush off as much alge as I can and transfer all coral and fish to new tank. Hopefully other than a mino cycle I can eliminate all phosphates. would appreciate some suggestions. Here is some picks of JBJ and my new tank as well, you can see in the picks where the tank went down hill fast..

20190707_202610.jpg 20190902_165025.jpg 20181015_181527.jpg 20181226_212733.jpg received_2580583175293257.jpeg

I actually just through a tank swap recently as well.

My Advice to you, is let the tank sit for a week or so with some beneficial bacteria from your other tank and get somewhat stable. Let the Temperature stabilize and the substrate settle down so it's not a giant milkshake. Then move the fish. I actually still drip acclimated my fish when I moved them just as a precaution.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to swap w no cycle

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.13 isn't terrible for phosphates. When you swap tanks, just make sure to keep the rocks submerged in buckets and you won't have to deal with a cycle. I did a tank swap myself back in June, and out of paranoia (not a bad thing) kept an eye on my ammonia using a seneye monitor. My ammonia wobbled a bit, but it was down in the range of a few parts per billion, which no test kit would even see.

Dump your sand and replace it if it's more than a year or so old, so you can start clean. If you don't have pounds and pounds of it, at least a good rinse helps. Use tap water, then a good soak in RODI with dechlorinator.

Keep and re-use as much water as you can to avoid any parameter shock to your corals. If you are trying to force down the phosphates, then maybe you'll only want to keep half the water, but half is better than none. Not too critical since you mostly seem to have softies and they bounce back quick.

OP
OP
MichaelP121579

MichaelP121579

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually just through a tank swap recently as well.

My Advice to you, is let the tank sit for a week or so with some beneficial bacteria from your other tank and get somewhat stable. Let the Temperature stabilize and the substrate settle down so it's not a giant milkshake. Then move the fish. I actually still drip acclimated my fish when I moved them just as a precaution.
Yes my plans are to let tank sit for a few days and get temp up and water clear then make the transfer

OP
OP
MichaelP121579

MichaelP121579

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
.13 isn't terrible for phosphates. When you swap tanks, just make sure to keep the rocks submerged in buckets and you won't have to deal with a cycle. I did a tank swap myself back in June, and out of paranoia (not a bad thing) kept an eye on my ammonia using a seneye monitor. My ammonia wobbled a bit, but it was down in the range of a few parts per billion, which no test kit would even see.

Dump your sand and replace it if it's more than a year or so old, so you can start clean. If you don't have pounds and pounds of it, at least a good rinse helps. Use tap water, then a good soak in RODI with dechlorinator.

Keep and re-use as much water as you can to avoid any parameter shock to your corals. If you are trying to force down the phosphates, then maybe you'll only want to keep half the water, but half is better than none. Not too critical since you mostly seem to have softies and they bounce back quick.
Bought new sand

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back