*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What’s the furthest you’ve travelled for a reef related experience or acquisition?
Reef experience, Hawaii or several islands in the Caribbean. Actually, Barbados wins. To acquire something, maybe a couple cities over to RAP in Anaheim.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Do you already own and use any Avast equipment? If so, what is your favorite and why? If not, is there anything at the top of your list?
A Break Out Box and Reef Jerky. Break Out Box helps control equipment during maintenance.

Firemanceej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What’s the furthest you’ve travelled for a reef related experience or acquisition?
I recently just drove for over 3 hours to go purchase used ai hydra 32 hd lights from someone because it was such a good deal. Such a major upgrade to my tank.

Firemanceej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on your most significant reefing achievement or milestone. Whether it's successfully keeping a challenging coral or achieving a stable and thriving reef, share the moment that made you most proud as a reefer.
I recently have been having an issue with phosphates and lowered them way to quickly to the point of my lobos taking a nose dive. It's taken me over a month but it's finally growing back and starting to show so much progress. I learned from my mistake and was able to get everything back under control to start seeing good growth again.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Reflect on your most significant reefing achievement or milestone. Whether it's successfully keeping a challenging coral or achieving a stable and thriving reef, share the moment that made you most proud as a reefer.
My most significant achievement is keeping the tank running well. From a heavily salinated FOWLR rescue through many DIY mods, a long distance move, and transition to a reef tank, the OG rescue fish are still thriving.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
TANK TALK: What's been your most expensive / heartbreaking fish loss due to jumping?
I've only actually had one fish jump from my current tank - Carpenters Wrasse.

IMG_20231104_085507980.jpg

In my old 75 I lost a couple of Firefish due to jumping.

In my old 5 gallon AIO I had my clownfish bite me, and when I jerked my hand out she came out with my hand. I picked her up off the floor quickly and tossed her back in - dog hair and all. Interestingly, she's still alive and swimming two years later and she hasn't bit me since!

Now for the cool story: close to 10 years ago I had a 29 gallon planted freshwater tank with Black Khuli loaches, tetras, and angelfish. I came home from work one day and I found one of my Khuli loaches lying on the ground dried up. I didn't feel like dealing with it right then so I tossed him in a hang-on acclimation box with a little tank water in it. I walked by the tank a couple of hours later and remembered he was still there and decided I'd go toss him. To my surprise, he was swimming around in the box - alive and well! He went back in the tank and survived at least two tank transfers that I know of. He may still be alive in the 110, I just never see my loaches much.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What's been your most expensive / heartbreaking fish loss due to jumping?
my most expensive was a splendid wrasse that hopped into the overflow and down the drain pipe. but the one that almost made me leave reefing was the toby puffer. I built the tank for that fish and he jumped out, probably to get away from the falko hawkfish.

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My most heartbreaking fish loss was back when my parents got me my first goldfish tank. I woke up one morning and found one of the goldfish out of the tank.

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I have ever had to jump and make it out of the tank was back in my fresh days. I had a dwarf mbuna cichlid jump and landed behind the tank. I never knew about it until I moved residences and it was so sad as I probably could have saved him.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not lost any, but my tailspot blenny jumped through the mesh while I was next to the tank, and I got him back into the tank quickly. Was unnerving.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've driven 5 hours one direction for a single coral store. In Montana of all places, lol.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back