R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Rick. I like your plates.

Thanks sass. One of them no longer shows the little fingers. But still has color and poofs up I just don't understand ha. The other 2 are still looking good hopefully they stay that way.

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look good Rick! That's the exact tank I want to run for my frag tank.

Ha ya I noticed I saw your post and said hmmm do I wanna upgrade my tank and sell this one. Just no room. Fyi I saw a ad for a deep blue 60 frag tank on CL

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this tank. It's a nice size, but if you're anything like me Jason, you'll want a bigger frag tank. LOL

Jason, look at this link.. post #3 .. they hold alot, but if you have things that sting each other you may run into problems..
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/147296-our-30g-rimless.html

Where I want to put the frag tank the 30 gal will work best. Plus I have a brand new Coralife 24" 4 Bulb T5 that I planned on using. I could go a lot bigger if I put it in the basement but I would prefer for it to be upstairs so we can also enjoy it.

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a cry for help...
Most of my Zoas are staying closed, and some flesh tinted brown. But my acan lords that have been looking dead barly open or colored are suddenly doing amazing new growth and colors returning. Does anything pop out as a possible obvious cause?
Tank seems like it is a stable 79 Degrees I have a hard time remembering to change filter socks. went a week without doing a WC and did a water test 1.025 salinity (usually is 1.024-1.026 not much off track) 8.4 alk 480 cal 1360 mag.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for salt? Ca seems higher than I usually keep it but not high enough to be issue. Over 500 some zoos get a little ticked off/ melt. Other parameters seem fine.

Fish list? Peppermint Shrimp?

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually thinking it may have to do with salt. Im pretty sure zoas stopped doing amazing in my tank when I switched to Fluval salt (its cheap where I go) I think im going to switch to red sea Regular salt or just back to instant ocean regular salt. what do you guys think?
as for fish I may be "over stocked" but I have a coral beauty angel, stary blenny, 6 line, clown goby, peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp, 2 pom pom crabs, some hermits and snails. To tell you the truth I havnt seen my least favorite snail in a while I wonder if he died and is messing with water quality, a nassarius snail hated that guy always flipped over my chalices.
i only add fluval alk because all my LPS where doing terrible and i had really low alk. ever since i stabilized that all lps is growing great and very fast.

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically what would cause zoas to stop doing so well and cause LPS which i could never really keep well do so great? its like they switched places.
Not all my zoas are doing poor (maybe i am over reacting but the browning and not opening scares me) Because many zoas are still going great i have an utter chaos always open grew 2 new polyps in a short time, Vulcan bloods are still open but the growth has slowed, some i got from cmac are not open some are.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that both zoas and lps, specifically acans, like dirty water. We have a ton of both in the same tank.
Have you considered lighting? Some zoas like more/less light than others.

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been thinking about lights. i have recently been messing with the lighting and moving zoas from the sand bed to rocks. So should i leave them and they will acclimate to the lighting and mayb turn down the % a little? or is the fact that some are brown and not opening a sure their gonna die situation?

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know after looking at pics some zoas i never moved at all since setup that where open the whole time are now not open. All i changed was upped the lighting % and lowered it hight a little, maybe i made a lighting change to fast? i think im going to lower the lighting %. i am thinking best idea would be bring it lower than before then bring it up slowly and move zoas around as i need i glued most to small rocks that i can easily move.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a peroxide dip and slightly brush off the brown. You'll be able to tell which ones are gone for sure...others will still be firm and may come back.

As for the lighting, whatever changes you make, do them slowly. Hopefully this is the culprit.

Glad to hear the utter chaos is doing well.

OP
OP
R

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news, I raised my fixture higher above my tank, did not change the power % and zoas are all looking better most have opened just a few aren't. I also still haven't done a WC Sunday will be the 14th day (usually do once a week). So im thinking this sunday I will do a WC and retest water. Would it be smart to test before and after so I can see what my salt is adding?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back