Tank transfer but adding new rock

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be doing a tank transfer in a few weeks and i want to add some more rock. I currently have it marinating in the garage with some rock rubble from my current tank and water from my WC's. I also added a little bit of mb7 to it to. This rock was bleached so it was dry rock added.

What's everyone's opinion about adding this rock.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be doing a tank transfer in a few weeks and i want to add some more rock. I currently have it marinating in the garage with some rock rubble from my current tank and water from my WC's. I also added a little bit of mb7 to it to. This rock was bleached so it was dry rock added.

What's everyone's opinion about adding this rock.
It's going to go through the same maturing as when you originally started, ugly phase and all.

nosduj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may not be as much or as long of an ugly phase depending on the amount of new vs old rock. I'm currently doing the same thing, transferring from my smaller tank to my new larger tank and adding approx 80lbs of dry rock

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you seed it with existing rock and dump water changes into that vact and do false feedings on the water tub. It will work real well if it sat long enough with pumps and heater.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a bottle of bacteria goes a long way too if you're preparing rock before transfer. That is what I did for a total tank redo. Working good so far.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you seed it with existing rock and dump water changes into that vact and do false feedings on the water tub. It will work real well if it sat long enough with pumps and heater.
Also a bottle of bacteria goes a long way too if you're preparing rock before transfer. That is what I did for a total tank redo. Working good so far.
Exactly what ive been doing minus the false feeding. Ill throw a little food in there. I guess the only issue is its only going to be marinating for a month.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work for you. I did a whole tank redo from scratch with dry rock with this method except rock marrinated for months. Tank is up now and doing well for several days with fish. No spikes of anything

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work for you. I did a whole tank redo from scratch with dry rock with this method except rock marrinated for months. Tank is up now and doing well for several days with fish. No spikes of anything
Yeah im taking a day off work so my kids will be at school and it will just be me. The tank is right beside the existing one now so i have a plan of attack. Where did you do with the fish while you were transferring? I was planning on putting them in a 20gal tall with a hob and old media and water. Then put all the corals in a 10 gal.

How much of the old water did you use?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is lengthy transfer so I put my existing fish in 100gallon Rubbermaid trough. Took some rock out of aquarium and put in there with 50% tank water and 50% new water. Then built platform for skimmer and put it in tub

They are still there at the moment. After I got tank back together. I put new fish in the tank. They been there 6 days now. Today will put my existing fish from tub into display. Had to make sure parms stayed steady for little fish before moving my tangs

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im taking a day off work so my kids will be at school and it will just be me. The tank is right beside the existing one now so i have a plan of attack. Where did you do with the fish while you were transferring? I was planning on putting them in a 20gal tall with a hob and old media and water. Then put all the corals in a 10 gal.

How much of the old water did you use?
When I’ve done transfers or moved tanks I put the fish in tupperware containers same with the corals.
In january I moved the contents of a 75 gallon into a 120. Took 4 hours start to finish. Only help I had was my son helping loading the 160qt cooler that held most of the live rock.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve done transfers or moved tanks I put the fish in tupperware containers same with the corals.
In january I moved the contents of a 75 gallon into a 120. Took 4 hours start to finish. Only help I had was my son helping loading the 160qt cooler that held most of the live rock.
I completed it just fine took me about 12 hours from start to finish. I just need to get my nitrates up now. I started at .6 and started dosing the last week or so got it to 2.9 as of yesterday.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-from-a-90-to-a-90.935469/

Back