Tank transfer but have a question

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to tank transfer (old thread HERE) everything over to a new 90 gal with sump from a 90 gal. canister filter. I have a plan to execute everything but obviously wont be able to use every drop into the new tank (20 gal holding tank, 10 gal coral holding tank then residual at the bottom).

When adding new saltwater and after the tank is up and running should i add a bit of Bio-spira just in case? I have a bottle on hand just don't know if i should add right away.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to tank transfer (old thread HERE) everything over to a new 90 gal with sump from a 90 gal. canister filter. I have a plan to execute everything but obviously wont be able to use every drop into the new tank (20 gal holding tank, 10 gal coral holding tank then residual at the bottom).

When adding new saltwater and after the tank is up and running should i add a bit of Bio-spira just in case? I have a bottle on hand just don't know if i should add right away.
Your working biofilter is in the rock and sand. If these were going to be replaced, it would be a very good idea to add Biospira. If the old rock and sand are coming over, add Biospira if it will help you sleep :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to thoroughly rinse the sand or outright replace it for the new tank. Using the previous sand has minimal benefits.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How did your tank transfer go? I have 40 pounds of premium live rock i've been curing for over 4 months that i need to move into my DT. I'm going to remove the base rocks in there and put the premium rocks in. I have 8 small fish and 1 medium size fish. Hoping the rocks can handle the fish load. I can wait a bit and wait for another tank to come in and split the fish load in half. I'm not worried about the corals as i'm more concerned about my fish.

Ditch the sand? Its the very fine grain kind....thinking about just going bare bottom and rehome the wrasses to another tank with sand or changing it out to the caribsea special grade .

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuan

I'm 100% sure your swap will work as planned, it will carry more fish than you have planned, no bottle bac needed that's a perfect way to get rocks ready.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you do with the sand for the new system does not matter regarding the filtration ability for the tank, it's just something you'll factor against clouding/strong sps currents kicking up sand or piling it up etc/aesthetics

it was mentioned above that moving over any unrinsed sand from tank to tank is a risk, it sure is. whatever sand you use, be cloudless/pre rinse in tap water to perfection then final rinse in saltwater to jet out the tap/ to avoid the 5% doom rate.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your tank transfer go? I have 40 pounds of premium live rock i've been curing for over 4 months that i need to move into my DT. I'm going to remove the base rocks in there and put the premium rocks in. I have 8 small fish and 1 medium size fish. Hoping the rocks can handle the fish load. I can wait a bit and wait for another tank to come in and split the fish load in half. I'm not worried about the corals as i'm more concerned about my fish.

Ditch the sand? Its the very fine grain kind....thinking about just going bare bottom and rehome the wrasses to another tank with sand or changing it out to the caribsea special grade .
It went as great as it can get. I did new sand from Petco and rinsed really well. But went only 1”-1.5” deep. I wanted to go bare bottom to but man i like sand and wrasses.

Check out these links

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-from-a-90-to-a-90.935469/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-sand-rinse-and-tank-transfer-thread.230281/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back