• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Tank Upgrade Cycle - Please Help!! Need Advice!

Reeferem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi guys.

4 days ago I upgraded from a 50 litre tank to a 96 litre.
New sand bed, old rock + a new piece of live rock, 25 L of old water and the rest new water.

I transferred my clownfish and coral over. I have lost a xenia and possibly losing my GSP frag. My clownfish are acting normal and eating.

So the first two days my parameters were ok, i was expecting a few spikes. Ammonia 0.2, nitrate 5, nitrite 0.2, ph 8.2, salinity 1.024

However today I checked and i have got huge spikes: ammonia 0.4, nitrate 50, nitrite 1....

I am wondering what to do? Should i do a large water change or just wait out the cycle?

**Also I have a red sea reef mature kit that i used when i cycled my 50L, should i use this now to help the cycle?**

Any advice is much appreciated, I don't want to lose any more coral and definitely do not want to stress my clown babies.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Water change..asap...prime will also help bind the ammonia

Would you be shocked by today's reefing hobby if you had just returned after a long period of time?

• Yes (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 171 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 17.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 92 28.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors