Tank upgrade in your future? Here are some tips for going bigger!

Do you have plans to have a bigger tank in the future?

• YES (tell us the size in the thread)

Votes: 370 55.1%
  • NO not at all

Votes: 141 21.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 139 20.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 21 3.1%

• Total voters

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 40g breeder being set up and a 20g. Still learning a lot and new to the saltwater side of aquariums but my official goal is a 3000g reef pond might use a pool for it since tanks tend to be very costly at 150+ gallons. no plan to do this reef pond anytime time soon. I might start buying the equipment in a few years.

Veteran Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new waterbox reef 220.6 arriving on Monday morning....

Attachments

• 16282814043035103496959775648070.jpg
    16282814043035103496959775648070.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 29

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, what I have is my last tank. At 70 years old, I don’t know how much longer I can take care of this one. My son has tried to automate functions as much as possible. We’ll see, not ready to give up yet. Just no more tanks.

hlaalu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is 4x4x2 centered along my office wall. I would like to get a tank the whole length of the wall, about 14ft long and keep the same height and depth. Hopefully can start this in the coming years.

DrakeEnglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a ton of different tanks sizes and varieties throughout my life. Been out of the hobby for 5 years, felt like something was missing… a aquarium. Perfect timing because I’m building a house and a 335g is going in. Currently have a 29 biocube that is nurturing some acropora frags to go in the big boy in a year.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep adding more small tanks so I can have more clown pairs. I suppose I could do larger tanks with dividers to make maintenance easier. Eventually I will learn how to spawn and raise clownfish fry and start a few harems, then I will have to go bigger. A bunch of smaller tanks really isn't a big deal for upkeep except for testing. doing 10 nitrate tests as apposed to one can be a pain. I think I will stick to one tank for corals and just make it bigger as my collection grows since there are far more parameters to worry about.

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 55G, 10G, 13.5G, and currently running a 20G. The 10 and 13.5 were both way too small, and even the 20 is starting to feel too cramped. But the 55G was more work and a bigger footprint than I was really happy with. I think my Goldilocks size is probably around 36-40G, but don't have plans to upgrade any time soon.

The 55 to 10 transfer was super easy. The 13.5 was a new build and then got transferred to the 20, and that was a serious pain because the 20 had to go exactly where the 13.5 was. Both relatively small tanks, but getting everything moved over took around 6 hours. I did not have a great plan for what to don with my stock mid-transfer, because I had to drain most of the 13.5 to move it out from the wall, and couldn't just dump it into the 20 because then I wouldn't be able to move that (was doing the transfer by myself). Everyone got to chill in hardware store buckets for a few hours and came through just fine. Worst part of it was sifting through all of my old sand (did not reuse it) to find all of my nassarius.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In January 2020 I was about to finalize my plans to add an addition onto my house which would include a dedicated fish room and new 360 gallon tank. But then COVID hit, the stock market tanked, business income dried up, and my plans were abruptly canceled. I still hope to do this project in the future, but it's going to take a while to recover financially before I feel confident in this investment. Here is the plan I was working on, and a video rendering of the new space:
Addition.png

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I would want a tank big enough for a tang of some sort, because I love them so much!

Would probably look into getting a 55g or a 75g. I definitely don’t want to go bigger than I could handle.

Edit: I would also want it to be drilled, so I can put a sump in. Definitely want a sump. :D
Why do you need a drilled tank for your sump? I have a sump, no drilling necessary? What is the benefit of a drilled tank?

gesock

ReefGuyWannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and building (going on a year) my 125 with a 50 gallon sump. Getting close to the end but still struggle finding the time to finish it.

Pagodazoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already have a waterbox 70.2, aesthetically amazing looking tank and stand however their tanks are super expensive. For the 70.2 which is really only about 45 gallons display volume it was close to $1900. I have high end coral and fish that can stay in there for life. I would like to get a 265 gallon which would be a freshwater discus tank because I can’t afford a full blown reef at that size. I love rimless tanks so it will either be an acrylic tank or I might just go rimmed depending on price.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back