Tank width 18 vs 24

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LbulletM Check out @acer build thread. He got a 150 or 160 from SCA.

To the OP. I would totally go with the 24 over the 18. I have a 125 mixed reef and have a 180 sitting here waiting on me to transfer everything. I really hate the 18 inches.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LbulletM Check out @acer build thread. He got a 150 or 160 from SCA.

To the OP. I would totally go with the 24 over the 18. I have a 125 mixed reef and have a 180 sitting here waiting on me to transfer everything. I really hate the 18 inches.

lol I'm the OP, too. I'll check out Acer.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on space, the floor space between 18 and 24 will be significant especially on a 5ft tank.

Or go for 20"

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on space, the floor space between 18 and 24 will be significant especially on a 5ft tank.

Or go for 20"

Eh, I'll be doing a built in when I renovate my basement back room into a bar room, so floor space is kind of inconsequential. I'll be having to wall in part of a double sliding door closet either way, so 6 inches won't be the end of me.

"Or go for 20" hahahaha

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my SCA 150 gallon. 60 x 24 x 24. My was custom as i did not care for their standard overflow.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acer-new-150-build.260497/

Haha actually already have your build thread open to look at once I get a chance today.

I'm looking at the 150g "v2" that's supposed to be drilled for a synergy over flow. I think it's 4 holes so I can run a Herbie with a return on each side (wish it was 5 for a Bean). It's not advertised, but I read about it elsewhere.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 112 gallon for many years, while it worked after upgrading to 180 it was night and day. The 24" wide really made a difference. Much more than the extra foot. I also have a custom 90 that is 36x24, this was my side tank for various things (cuttlefish, octopus garden eels ect). The custom 90 was considerably more than a standard 65 but I wanted the 24" width.

Fast forward to now, my 180 broke during a long distance move, I've gone back to the 112 (good old miracles tank has held up well over the 11 years I've had it) and it sucks going back to 18" wide. That being said I have way less livestock than I used to so I will be using the 112 until I out grow it again. If I were you I'd go with the 150.

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I'd gone with 24". The only reason I went with 18" was so that my tangs would had room to swim the long way

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LbulletN, if you're local and want to see my tank. Let me know.

Just finished reading your ENTIRE thread! Looking good!

Is their low iron glass good quality?

I live in Tennessee, but I have a sister in law that we visit near Pittsburgh every once in a while. I'll have to give you a shout when I'm in the area! Would love to see it in person!

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya- I think the quality is good. Maybe not the very best Starfire/lowE I have ever seen. but the seams, etc. are all well done.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "not the very best" is perfectly fine at their price point!

MeshmeZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a standard 90 g (48"x18"x24") to a 150 (60"x24"x24") and i love the 150! the extra 6" is the difference between having a straight line of rocks, and being able to stagger them to add depth.

see if you can get it with a synergy reef or equivalent overflow though. losing half the middle of the tank for the overflow sucks! I have the synergy reef overflow and its basically like not having an overflow at all.

Klwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've made your decision. Just to add, I love the 24" depth. I've had 18" before and it just felt "tight". My last was a non-standard 90 gallon (36"x24"x24") and I loved it! Just replaced it with a custom 180 because I needed more room for my corals that we're growing so well!

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCAquariums is who I'm looking at right now.
I have the SCA 66. I had to do many upgrades to it. They are inexpensive and there is a reason. The seams seem ok but the back glass is covered with black vynil sticker instead of paint. The internal over flow is cheap and mine pulled apart at the seam. The pump and plumbing is cheap crap. You might want to look around more if this is a tank you want to keep for a while.

As far as your original question. Yes there is a big difference from 18" to 24". I did a 90, 48x18. Hate it. Should have done a 120, 48x24.

Good luck

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SCA 66. I had to do many upgrades to it. They are inexpensive and there is a reason. The seams seem ok but the back glass is covered with black vynil sticker instead of paint. The internal over flow is cheap and mine pulled apart at the seam. The pump and plumbing is cheap crap. You might want to look around more if this is a tank you want to keep for a while.

As far as your original question. Yes there is a big difference from 18" to 24". I did a 90, 48x18. Hate it. Should have done a 120, 48x24.

Good luck

Just getting the tank drilled for a Synergy overflow (his v2), so no worries about the overflow, pump, or plumbing. Just need solid construction. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the vinyl backing though! Is it easily removable? I'd definitely strip it and paint.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting the tank drilled for a Synergy overflow (his v2), so no worries about the overflow, pump, or plumbing. Just need solid construction. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the vinyl backing though! Is it easily removable? I'd definitely strip it and paint.
Yes, for the most part. Mine came off pretty easy. I also drilled return holes in the back glass. I don't have a canopy and don't like the look of plumbing over the top.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back