Tank width 18 vs 24

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had experience with both an 18" wide and a 24" wide tank? Did you prefer one over the other? Was the 24" really a lot more room in practice, or was it too wide to maintain easily?

Trying to decide between a 112 gallon or 150 gallon. Definitely want a 5 foot long tank and both fit the requirement. Wondering if the smaller volume, footprint, and easier water changes would be worth losing the 6 inches of tank width.

I have exactly that tank...5 foot by 18. I definitely wish it was 24

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for the most part. Mine came off pretty easy. I also drilled return holes in the back glass. I don't have a canopy and don't like the look of plumbing over the top.

The v2 comes with four holes, so I should be able to run a herbie and two returns.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SCA 66. I had to do many upgrades to it. They are inexpensive and there is a reason. The seams seem ok but the back glass is covered with black vynil sticker instead of paint.
Good luck

Why do you dislike the vinyl on the back? I used window tinting on my tank and it worked great.

McGarnicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally had a 75g, then purchased a 90g, but before I put water in it I went out and picked up a 120g. 24in makes a huge difference especially when it comes to aquascaping.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at my built with a canopy I have 3 holes drilled in the back of the aquarium= 3 x 1.5 inches. it sounds like your option is to have four = V2 option. Then I am using a internal overflow box ( 48 inches long with a smooth weir x 6 inches deep and 2 inches front to back) ) and then a External ( 42 long x 5 front to back x 8 deep) - I drilled the External overflow box with 3 holes to connect it to the tank and internal overflow box via three 1.5 inch bulkheads plus drilled 3 drains (2 x 1 inch and 1 x 1.5 inch) in the bottom of it . I run the return hoses from the sump on the side of the external overflow box , into the back of the canopy, and then over the internal overflow box - then split it with one spray nozzle going low shooting across toward the back middle of the tank and one high enough that it breaks any possibility of a reverse siphon quickly. I am not a big fan of using bulkheads and drilling tank/overflows for return hoses- just me , but I think the possibilities for leaks, reverse siphon,etc. does not out weight the improved looks. I would drill another drain in the external overflow if I was to redo my setup so it would have 4 drains ( 2 x 1 inch and 2 x 1.5 inch). the tank is dead silent, but I am using both 1 inch drains ( one of them is controlled by a valve) and the 1.5 inch is left open for emergency.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have regretted buying my 125 since I bought it 3 years ago. I even received advice to go with the 180 from others but the 125 looked huge compared to my 29.

I'm coming from a 29 also!

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at my built with a canopy I have 3 holes drilled in the back of the aquarium= 3 x 1.5 inches. it sounds like your option is to have four = V2 option. Then I am using a internal overflow box ( 48 inches long with a smooth weir x 6 inches deep and 2 inches front to back) ) and then a External ( 42 long x 5 front to back x 8 deep) - I drilled the External overflow box with 3 holes to connect it to the tank and internal overflow box via three 1.5 inch bulkheads plus drilled 3 drains (2 x 1 inch and 1 x 1.5 inch) in the bottom of it . I run the return hoses from the sump on the side of the external overflow box , into the back of the canopy, and then over the internal overflow box - then split it with one spray nozzle going low shooting across toward the back middle of the tank and one high enough that it breaks any possibility of a reverse siphon quickly. I am not a big fan of using bulkheads and drilling tank/overflows for return hoses- just me , but I think the possibilities for leaks, reverse siphon,etc. does not out weight the improved looks. I would drill another drain in the external overflow if I was to redo my setup so it would have 4 drains ( 2 x 1 inch and 2 x 1.5 inch). the tank is dead silent, but I am using both 1 inch drains ( one of them is controlled by a valve) and the 1.5 inch is left open for emergency.

I won't have a canopy, so over the rim plumbing is a no for me. I'm still pretty green on this (just in the planning stages, I just got my 29 gallon in November!), but thinking about it more, I'm guessing the returns are actually in the Synergy, not the tank? All I know is it's drilled for a Synergy haha. I didn't want the center column.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new tank today. Will hopefully be up and running by Wednesday. The 24" is a world of difference and going to be a lot more fun to scape I think.
IMG_7553.JPG

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't have a canopy, so over the rim plumbing is a no for me. I'm still pretty green on this (just in the planning stages, I just got my 29 gallon in November!), but thinking about it more, I'm guessing the returns are actually in the Synergy, not the tank? All I know is it's drilled for a Synergy haha. I didn't want the center column.
Typically, a synergy reef overflow has 3 drain holes and no return holes. The returns use separate bulkheads through the back glass.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new tank today. Will hopefully be up and running by Wednesday. The 24" is a world of difference and going to be a lot more fun to scape I think.
IMG_7553.JPG

237ced0195a0903e054b16f2a57ad52e.jpg
af18dd4cbc1fe8fae85644ae5bf72b15.jpg
00d2b4bcfae2fcbf1ef58ae7bcd3d04c.jpg

Love the dims of my DBP 80! It's 24 wide, haven't aquascaped yet, just got all the plumbing done. It's Broadfield inspired for those of you familiar with Toby's build.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, a synergy reef overflow has 3 drain holes and no return holes. The returns use separate bulkheads through the back glass.

Heck, might be five holes then! Like I said, just starting researching hahaha. :rolleyes:

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually have an 18 but currently transitioning to a 48 x24 x 18....24 alll the wayyy its a lot better for aquascaping, coral layout and fish swimming space....

Klwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 180 "custom" made so I could have 5 holes in the oversized overflow. Running a bean animal overflow with 2 returns. Dead silent and I love it. Also, again, the 24" front to back is awesome!

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 180 "custom" made so I could have 5 holes in the oversized overflow. Running a bean animal overflow with 2 returns. Dead silent and I love it. Also, again, the 24" front to back is awesome!

That would be my ideal. Just have to figure out exactly what their v2 has and decide whether a bean is worth it to me over a herbie if I have to go custom.

Klwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did quite a bit of research before ordering this tank. For me, the safety of the bean was worth it.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just solved the mystery. The Synergys have 2 holes for the pass through from the tank, but 3 holes in the bottom of the overflow for draining. Sooooo, 4 holes in the tank, but I can still run a Bean!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 is 18 deep and I hate it but I got it never used for free so hard to complain to much but I would like the xtra space for my humongous welso brain to stretch a little

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back