Tank width 18 vs 24

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started making a list of all the items I need to acquire for a new build once my wife and I move. Can't decide if I want to 24" or 30" deep. my LFS has a 30" and the look of depth is amazing, but I feel like the extra length will be difficult at times for maintenance (depending on the tanks location)

ALs FLorida Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly , it depends on what you are going for . I personally feel like unless u want to have a large sanbed in front of your rock work then the 18 is the way to go is also not as much of a pain to work and clean

Klwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at a 30", ur the extra front to back makes maintenance more difficult...especially for my shorter wife.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just solved the mystery. The Synergys have 2 holes for the pass through from the tank, but 3 holes in the bottom of the overflow for draining. Sooooo, 4 holes in the tank, but I can still run a Bean!
Ahh, yes. Only 2 holes connecting the front and back of the overflow through the glass. I should have mentioned that.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the 2 drain holes? If the holes are 1 inch and only one is a full siphon to your sump, so the other is just for a trickle to stay quiet and act as an emergency drain. Then , you will have to figure out your max return pump gallons per hour based on that one hole and the siphon drop of about 5 feet to your sump. I cant remember the formula. But, you dont want to buy too big of a return pump and have to use a valve to limit it = waste if money and that type if setup us said to be hard on the pump.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the 2 drain holes? If the holes are 1 inch and only one is a full siphon to your sump, so the other is just for a trickle to stay quiet and act as an emergency drain. Then , you will have to figure out your max return pump gallons per hour based on that one hole and the siphon drop of about 5 feet to your sump. I cant remember the formula. But, you dont want to buy too big of a return pump and have to use a valve to limit it = waste if money and that type if setup us said to be hard on the pump.
There are 3 drain holes. The SRO now comes with three 1.5" holes.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault- got distracted mid post.lol. Meant to say how big are the two passthrough holes? They may be the limiting factor of how much return flow there can be in the system.

OP
OP
LbulletM

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault- got distracted mid post.lol. Meant to say how big are the two passthrough holes? They may be the limiting factor of how much return flow there can be in the system.

Tried to copy their diagram, but they make it annoying to grab their pictures.

1.5" pass throughs.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple different tanks. My next tank is going to be 36". Obviously I am in the wider is better camp. The only problem is you have to be able to keep clearer water if you go over 24".

dana_rod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with a 24" being that I have a 90 gallon so 18" but as I am filling up with more coral I feel like by the time you get your live rock in you are really limited in the front sand bed area which makes it hard to find spots for things like my elegance or welso. I'm regretting not going for a 120 now.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've learned (as most of us probably have) the hard way previously. just need to really weigh the options before hand and plan accordingly. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back