Tankmates for a snowflake moray...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would you think would be OK to keep with a snowflake moray? What would you absolutely avoid?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very eel to eel but mine i genuinely felt i could keep anything with it lol she was just very outgoing but if a fish came near her shed hide.

From my experiences reading here (not saying this is a fact) id say anything 3 inches plus will be fine for at least a year

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly out of the 2 snowflakes ive had neither bothered other tank mates including shrimp. That doesnt mean that all wont but i wouldnt hesitate to try shrimp and inverts. And as far as fish goes as long as they cant swallow it theyre fine. At the end of the day though it just comes down to the individual, some will be more aggressive than others. But ive seen snowflakes and zebras housed with tiny fish with no issues. Just make sure to add the eel last if possible and the smaller the better for best chances of success with questionable tank mates.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cowfish, porcupine puffer, two filefish, and a squirelfish in my 75g predator with Mushu our snowflake for a year. They seem to get along. There is a pecking order for food.

120709A7-6C88-4984-BB4B-AB2C50B6F845.jpeg
CB7E7C34-AF56-4454-927F-1D020B52F456.jpeg

tinhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a Niger trigger....didn't go very well. It was a smaller one but my eel still must have had trouble getting it down its throat. Clown fish with a good host anemone have been awesome in my tank. My snowflake 'Oloff' hates the anemone and the clowns almost tempt him to chase them into it! Quite funny to watch. Had the eel and clowns together for 2 years now in a 35 gallon along with a Fiji damsel. Oloff moves to his new home this Saturday, a 90 gallon. He will be happy with a little more room.

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t keep it completely fed, there is no tank mate it won’t devour. I’m not kidding. It ate everything from all my fish to my hermits and even managed to eat my tiger sand conch. My advice: KEEP IT FULL OF FOOD!

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t keep it completely fed, there is no tank mate it won’t devour. I’m not kidding. It ate everything from all my fish to my hermits and even managed to eat my tiger sand conch. My advice: KEEP IT FULL OF FOOD!
Not only that, but a hungry snowflake is a rowdy snowflake, haha. For real, I kept one for 11 years and it would let me know when it was hungry by swimming around and acting aggressively. During one of its rowdy episodes, it slipped through a hole a lot smaller than its diameter-I did not think it would be possible.:eek:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 14 inch SnowFlake in a 100gallon horse trough tank that I use to cultivate Live Rock - (and house my eel). shares the tank with 2 AH tomato clowns (I know, that's redundant) a Stars and Stripes puffer and a Valentini (my favorite non-canine pet)
Eel is well fed and there has never been a problem, but I did one time see him lunge on the Valentini from below, and was hysterical to see the puffer do a back flip out of the water, then come right back and take food from my fingers.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got mine in a tank with crabs, angels, tangs, a Foxface, a couple of dottybacks, and a small percula clownfish. Personally, I haven't had any tankmates go missing in that time, and the other fish have no problems swimming right up past him and vice versa if he has come out to eat.

Back