Tankmates That Make Keeping Lionfish Difficult

Wandering Albatross

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2024
Messages
886
Reaction score
429
Location
Whidbey Island, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all!

While I'm brainstorming my two 350g FOWLRs, I've been trying to move my stocking around for the best/safest fit. I really want a lionfish, but if forced I can suffice with a species only tank for a pair of dwarfs. I know that puffers are supposed to be nippy with lionfish fins (at least sometimes), and angels are a toss up.

Please list any fish have you seen/heard of that tend to pick on/at lions? This would be a Volitan Lion. *All fish would be bought young/small and grow together in the same tank if that makes any difference*

Blessings :)
 
Ive kept triggers with my lions before and they never messed with them. Nothing I kept with lions picked at them honestly, they all just left them alone. My lions would hang out with each other a lot too. Also had puffers with my lions, no issues either.
 
I recently added a Radiata lion that had to be removed due to my Sailfin picking at him constantly. He leaves the other lion alone though.
 
Ive kept triggers with my lions before and they never messed with them. Nothing I kept with lions picked at them honestly, they all just left them alone. My lions would hang out with each other a lot too. Also had puffers with my lions, no issues either.
That's helpful, I've wanted a lion for a while, and I don't want to put him in harm's way since I've heard they aren't aggressive like triggers are supposed to be and wasn't sure how he'd hold his own in a hostile tank. Some say certain fish are issues, others say they're fine. Seems like another case of up to the fish whether or not he wants to be a jerk lol. Who all was in that tank with them and what were the dimensions if you don't mind me asking?
Were the triggers past that phase where they get to a certain size/age then seem to just go berserk?

Blessings :)
 
I've heard triggers can be lion fin nippers, picaso trigger more so than others. Info I read not experienced.
Interesting, did you know how big those triggers were by chance? Or the tank size? I wonder if fish are less likely to pick if they have more distractions (ie more tank to explore, maybe a hardy/fast growing soft coral to pick at instead), or if the fish getting picked at can get farther away.

Blessings :)
 
My only issue was the triggers would go at the food much more aggressively and no matter how much I fed they made it more difficult for the Lionfish to get to the food. That said, the lionfish did eat but my tank was way overfed each time. No issues with fin aggression though.
 
Interesting, did you know how big those triggers were by chance? Or the tank size? I wonder if fish are less likely to pick if they have more distractions (ie more tank to explore, maybe a hardy/fast growing soft coral to pick at instead), or if the fish getting picked at can get farther away.

Blessings :)
Sorry I don't have more info. I totally agree about tank size and distractions being helpful. I keep fish that people say are terrors with zero aggresion and others that just are not supposed to get along together but I keep them in larger tanks with a lot of rock with caves and swim throughs. I think much of the aggresion that gets posted could be avoided if the fish were giving a more suitable habitat.
 
That's helpful, I've wanted a lion for a while, and I don't want to put him in harm's way since I've heard they aren't aggressive like triggers are supposed to be and wasn't sure how he'd hold his own in a hostile tank. Some say certain fish are issues, others say they're fine. Seems like another case of up to the fish whether or not he wants to be a jerk lol. Who all was in that tank with them and what were the dimensions if you don't mind me asking?
Were the triggers past that phase where they get to a certain size/age then seem to just go berserk?

Blessings :)
125g, six foot. I had a picasso, niger, blue throat triggers, stars and stripes puffer, multiple lions, eels, and a few tangs I believe. All were juveniles, and I was in the process of upgrading to my 300 now. Unfortunately I had a cucumber get into a pump and it nuked my tank. Lost a lot of my fish before I could move them over to my 300. The picasso went nuts and bit my yellow tang’s snout off in the bin I had to put them in while the 300 cycled. Was a whole mess but they had been together about a year in the 125 before all that crap went down with no issues
 
Sorry I don't have more info. I totally agree about tank size and distractions being helpful. I keep fish that people say are terrors with zero aggresion and others that just are not supposed to get along together but I keep them in larger tanks with a lot of rock with caves and swim throughs. I think much of the aggresion that gets posted could be avoided if the fish were giving a more suitable habitat.
This is the exact concept I'm trying to clarify through most of my posts. Someone says that a fish is aggressive, but fails to add in all the other factors (tank size, aquascape, age, food needs, ect). As a general rule, no animal is just aggressive for no reason at all. They are trying to defend something.

I've seen many tanks on here that are very pleasing to look at, and keep the fish out in the open a lot, which people like, hence the reason they bought visually attractive fish. But it offers virtually no shelters for the fish. Moreso with larger fish, as they need deeper/wider caves. I think we should focus more on the wellbeing of our fish then how the tank looks.

We'll never change these territorial behaviors, but they can be safely accommodated I believe with proper attention to the needs of each inhabitant, perhaps a more scientific approach. There will always be outliers though. I think some people forget that they are not just decorations, but living creatures unable to leave, and therefore entirely dependent on their host for food and security. It's the hosts responsibility to do the needed research and compare information from many sources in order to make the best decisions in the interest of their ward.

Thank you for being on the same wavelength :)

Blessings :)
 
This is my current tank. Lots of rock and open space at the same time. My fish love it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7182.jpeg
    IMG_7182.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 49

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new