Tanks With No Power 28hrs+

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post this for reference to others in the future that might be worried about their tanks being without power while they are away.

I have been on vacation for the last 6 days and while I was away a tropical storm blew through the area this past Tuesday. I was able to tell via my arlo cameras that I didn't lose power and all was good. Well Thursday morning I noticed the cameras not connecting... got in touch with a neighbor Thur evening who told me the power had been out for almost 24hrs at that point. My heart sank and I figured all was lost. I kept checking the ConEd outage maps and it was still out when I went to sleep last night at about 11pm. Sometime over night the power was restored, which would have put the total time at least 28hrs...

I came home expecting the worst but was shocked to see all was fine! All corals look good, RFA looks good, fish are all out and looking for food. I was amazed. Tank is a 60g cube with a screen top, only 5 fish tho which was probably the most important thing. The coral are all in a 7.5g tank with no fish thats plumbed in to the system.

Even more impressive was my FW tank that's 34g and has a large cichlid, catfish and pleco in it, but it has a full glass top to help with evap. I could have sworn they were goners because of the top but nope, they are fine too.

I ordered 2 bait bubblers anyway to have on hand in case this happens again. But for anyone worried about their tanks being without water movement for a significant amount of time, it's not always a death sentence if you are lightly stocked.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature helps, also matters who dies when. and lightly stocked is a great point... I lost power mid July in Mesa, Az . Tank was slimy mush within hours after the house got warm.
But whew, your good fortune....God Bless !!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back