Tap into Furnace Air intake for Skimmer - Good idea?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with PH recently and I was thinking I should get some fresh air for the skimmer. It's not viable for me to run a hose outside, however right below my tank is the furnace room where the furnace has a dedicated fresh air intake on a 2in PVC. I have a hole already drilled to the furnace room below for my water lines, so I was thinking I could T-off the air intake and hook up a 3/8in hose directly to it.

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The furnace intake should work unless the furnace cycles on/off and that change in air pressure in the pipe may impact the skimmers function? Outside of that consideration I think air is air and it should work fine, maybe?

OP
OP
A

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The furnace intake should work unless the furnace cycles on/off and that change in air pressure in the pipe may impact the skimmers function? Outside of that consideration I think air is air and it should work fine, maybe?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I keep the fan running 24/7 anyway so hopefully it will work. Hopefully there are others that have tried this.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I keep the fan running 24/7 anyway so hopefully it will work. Hopefully there are others that have tried this.
The combustion fan is what would change the air flow.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an HVAC tech but I do work in the trades and am a licensed residential builder. Your blower on the furnace will be more powerful than your skimmer. The skimmer will not be able to overpower the blower and you will most likely be creating neg pressure at the skimmer. I wouldn't do this, run a dedicated line for the skimmer air instead.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question would be, do you trust your outside air more than inside air? My tank always suffered during the winters I chalked it up to low ph. Turns out my outside skimmer line was pulling smoke from a pellet stove that is on the other side of the house. Then there's wild fires in Canada, I live north so a concern. If you have none of these concerns and your intake won't recycle waste from furnace output may work for you... my skimmer always pulled twice as much with outside line.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Once the blower fan spins up if you're tied into the intake you'll pull a vacuum on the skimmer.

Don't do this unless you want your vents smelling like Skimmate forever.
That wouldn’t go over well with the wife for sure...lol. And I’d have to agree with you.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the furnace exhaust is next to it do NOT do this. That is not air that you breathe. It is air for the burning of the furnace. This is a 98% efficiency furnace.

You would be pumping carbon monoxide into your tank.

OP
OP
A

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the blower fan spins up if you're tied into the intake you'll pull a vacuum on the skimmer.

Don't do this unless you want your vents smelling like Skimmate forever.

LOL! I hadn't thought of that, so glad I asked. Looks like this a no-go! :)

OP
OP
A

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tap into the intake and run the 1/4" line to the outside? Once outside, the fan should have no effect.
I fishing wire can get the hose down the pipe.

I don't see why I couldn't do that. I could just feed it through from the outside.

OP
OP
A

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the furnace exhaust is next to it do NOT do this. That is not air that you breathe. It is air for the burning of the furnace. This is a 98% efficiency furnace.

You would be pumping carbon monoxide into your tank.

There are 2 separate 2in PVC pipes, one for exhaust and one for clean air. The two-point in opposite directions outside.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back