Tasty Reef Fish

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone.
I thought I would share an amazing experience with Yall'.

I am currently a our beach house (kure beach, nc) and just finished cooking some of the best fish I have ever eaten (and I eat a lot of fish).

Earlier today I walked into the local fish market and saw a giant cooler full of large (12-20") fish. They were partially covered with ice and I thought they were scamps. I dug one out and ill be darned if it wasn't the biggest violitans lion I have ever seen. They had literally dozens of these fish for sale. Turns out that the breeding population of lionfish in north Carolina is much larger than I had realized. I asked the owner of the shop and she said the specifically Target these fish along with groupers and hogs.

Well needless to say I bought some and went home to clean them.
We just finished eating and I can say that I am going to be stocking up on these fish to take home. They are FREAKING DELICIOUS

Pics to come, some may be graphic, so lion lovers beware.

~Michael

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ummmm. i would try them. Sounds good. How did you cook them? I have seen many people eating these. Was there a lot of meat? How many did you get?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are living in nc waters. They actually are trying to commercialize them as a "fresh seafood" item here. They are an overpopulating species and encouraging the consumption of them is a kinda positive way to keep the population level from going over the edge.

They are suppose to have a sweet taste? Im not sure, I intend to try some but I have not had the chance.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a huge fish eater, so that's a tough sell for me. Glad you found a new fave! :)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that they are excellent. Did you bring any back to Charlotte with you?

CJ

sportzfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, how much per pound. I heard that it was one of the more expensive fish.

Good afternoon everyone.
I thought I would share an amazing experience with Yall'.

I am currently a our beach house (kure beach, nc) and just finished cooking some of the best fish I have ever eaten (and I eat a lot of fish).

Earlier today I walked into the local fish market and saw a giant cooler full of large (12-20") fish. They were partially covered with ice and I thought they were scamps. I dug one out and ill be darned if it wasn't the biggest violitans lion I have ever seen. They had literally dozens of these fish for sale. Turns out that the breeding population of lionfish in north Carolina is much larger than I had realized. I asked the owner of the shop and she said the specifically Target these fish along with groupers and hogs.

Well needless to say I bought some and went home to clean them.
We just finished eating and I can say that I am going to be stocking up on these fish to take home. They are FREAKING DELICIOUS

Pics to come, some may be graphic, so lion lovers beware.

~Michael

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back