TDS 1 with DI

RedSox81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bulkeef RO system with DI. I have changed all filters and DI resin. I can't get TDS below 1 and have no idea why. The TDS going into di is 50. Can some explain? Thanks

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty high TDS coming out of your RO membrane. My TDS at the RODI input is 470 which drops to 5 after the membrane and then 0 after the DI cartridge.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your PSI at? I'm pretty sure that has some affect on the efficiency of an RO membrane, and the more that gets through the membrane, the more that gets through you resin. It could also be a faulty meter. Do you have a way to double check the TDS of the product water?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+

What's your PSI at? I'm pretty sure that has some affect on the efficiency of an RO membrane, and the more that gets through the membrane, the more that gets through you resin. It could also be a faulty meter. Do you have a way to double check the TDS of the product water?

A good pressure for a RO system is 65 pound of pressure and the more pressure the better. Also check your local water supplier and see if the utility is using chloramines. Most do, to extend the life of processed water and the process will raise the TDS before the DI unless one adds a double active carbon filter before the membrane.

OP
OP
R

RedSox81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Psi is 40. I'm guessing that is my problem. I have inline and hand held TDS.

OP
OP
R

RedSox81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+

A good pressure for a RO system is 65 pound of pressure and the more pressure the better. Also check your local water supplier and see if the utility is using chloramines. Most do, to extend the life of processed water and the process will raise the TDS before the DI unless one adds a double active carbon filter before the membrane.

I have well water so I don't think chloramines in water

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be as simple as improperly calibrated TDS meters. In-line are supposed to be calibrated with the water flowing through - which I have no idea how to accomplish that with the calibration solution. The in-line meters have a VERY sensitive calibration screw as well.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inline meters I used were not able to be calibrated. :)

Really? Even the cheap, ubiquitous HM digital meters that BRS sells are able to be calibrated. If I remember correctly (while typing at work), the older ones needed to be popped open to access the screw, and the newer ones have an access hole on the back case...or maybe it's vice versa.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Even the cheap, ubiquitous HM digital meters that BRS sells are able to be calibrated. If I remember correctly (while typing at work), the older ones needed to be popped open to access the screw, and the newer ones have an access hole on the back case...or maybe it's vice versa.

I used the inline meters that came with my Spectrapure systems. Possibly I could have taken it apart to recalibrate, but I couldn't see any reason to even try. IMO, good calibration is not needed if the goal is to ensure 0 ppm TDS water. The zero point doesn't move on calibration, only the slope.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the inline meters that came with my Spectrapure systems. Possibly I could have taken it apart to recalibrate, but I couldn't see any reason to even try. IMO, good calibration is not needed if the goal is to ensure 0 ppm TDS water. The zero point doesn't move on calibration, only the slope.

Maybe I am missing you here...are you saying that, for example, if I have the 341ppm(?) standard calibration solution for HM meters, and the meter reads, say, 600ppm, that it will still read 0ppm at true zero?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am missing you here...are you saying that, for example, if I have the 341ppm(?) standard calibration solution for HM meters, and the meter reads, say, 600ppm, that it will still read 0ppm at true zero?

Yes, calibration of a TDS meter (or any conductivity meter) only changes the slope. That's why only one calibration adjustment can be made on any conductivity meter (if any). If you could change both the zero point and the slope, there would be two adjustments, but zero is zero in this case. :)

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, calibration of a TDS meter (or any conductivity meter) only changes the slope. That's why only one calibration adjustment can be made on any conductivity meter (if any). If you could change both the zero point and the slope, there would be two adjustments, but zero is zero in this case. :)

I'm glad I wasted time and money on this!

Back