Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, fellow Reefers!

In early January I decided to get my JBJ RL-45 tank back up and running. I had to shut down due to a cross-country move in 2018, and am just now getting back to it! The first thing was to inspect the tank for any cracks or damage incurred during the original cross-country move or the two other moves following. Apart from some scuffs on the stand and small nicks in the vinyl backing that covers the sump portion of the tank! Next, I needed to know what equipment worked, and what did not work. While my protein skimmer and ATO controller still worked, my pumps, wavemakers, and heaters did not.

Since then, and on somewhat of a budget, I acquired the following equipment:

6 Stage RODI & Inline TDS Meter
Brute Trashcan and wheelbase
2x Innovative Marine Spin Stream Nozzles
2x Jebao FA-1500 Submersible pump (350GPH) (One for salt mixing/tank fill, One for ATO)
2x Jebao SCP-90 Cross Flow Pumps
1x Tunze 1073.020 Return pump to replace to original dual return.
1x 300-watt Finnex Titanium Heater w/Digital Controller
1x 100-watt Finnex Titanium Heater w/ Controller (salt mixing)
45 lb. MarcoRocks Dry Live Rock
2x Small MarcoRocks foundation rocks
Super Glue & Insta-Set spray
40 lb. Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
Reef Crystals
Dr. Tim's Fishless Cycle
Misc. Tubing for replacement return lines
Filter Floss
Marine Pure Balls

This weekend, I gave the tank and new equipment a good cleaning in a citric acid solution. After this, I situated the tank and stand where my wife approved and then went to my garage to begin creating an aquascape. I have always been a fan of NSA-style scapes, so I aimed for that. After reaching a design I was content with, I decided to fill my tank up and get this cycle started. First, I filled up the empty tank about 1/4 of the way, and then poured just about 35 lb. of the live sand. After that, I arranged the rock and ensured stability before continuing to fill the tank up! Once filled, I added the clarifying packets that came with the sand and allowed the tank to run 24 hours to clear up and situate the Cross-flow pumps how I wanted them. The next day, began the cycle by adding Dr. Tim's First Defense, then Dr. Tim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria as well as the appropriate amount of Ammonium Chloride.

I will run the cycle without any filter floss for the first week. The cycle will be run without any lighting, skimmer, or carbon/GFO. I plan to take my time with this cycle and kind of just let the tank do its thing.

Current Wishlist:
Seneye
Radion XR-15 G5 Blue
Screen Top
Patience

OP
OP
Timothy Davis

Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting used in photo's is an old Current USA light. Strictly so I could snap a picture. I plan to buy and XR-15 G5 Blue closer to the end of the cycle.
20220329_170229.jpg
20220329_170229.jpg

OP
OP
Timothy Davis

Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran tests today, this would be day 2 on the Dr. Tim's Fishless Cycle chart.

Temp: 78.7 (Controller is set @ 78, but house AC was out today causing the slight increase.)
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Overall thoughts: So far so good. Numbers are where I expect them to be. No lights, no uglies.
In the market for a Radion XR-15 G5 Blue.

OP
OP
Timothy Davis

Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rant tests yesterday. Day 3

Temp 78.2
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Following Dr. Tim's instructions, I added another round of Ammonia. I will test again tonight!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back