Tegillarca granosa Clam, anyone keep them?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this type of clam is pretty much on our Asian food menu occasionally, and I often seen them selling in Asian market, does anyone keep them in their tank? :) I might get a few when it show up in my local market, the only thing I'm concern is that these Tegillarca granosa (blood cockle or blood clam) carry viruses and bacteria that might harm other live stocks in my aquarium.

Here is a safety statement from Wiki:

Safety

"Unlike other varieties of clams that are safe to eat, the blood clam lives in low-oxygen environments, and thus ingests more viruses and bacteria, including hepatitis A, hepatitis E, typhoid, and dysentery, to get the nutrients it needs. Although blood clams are considered one of the more delicious Chinese delicacies, the style of preparation in Shanghai involves quick-boiling them, leaving many of the viruses and bacteria present."

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it temperate (cold water) or tropical? I couldn't tell from the quick google.

If it's tropical it's fine. You may want to consider a simple qt for them to ensure you don't bring in any bivalve eaters.

Yup. We eat the parasites pretty often.

I bought oysters from the place down the street. It was less than 24 hrs that they were on ice. They came from the Baja. They don't have tanks like 99 ranch might so they ice them.

Edit. Everything has bacteria and viruses. Only some are bad. And some only in high concentration.

Got bivalve fever? Welcome to the club.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Simple qt. Old tank water and maybe some live rock. Powerhead or pump maybe a heater.
Bucket or pail. Small tank is best so you can see them.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about their temp requirement but I'm sure my Country is a tropical climate and these clams are live on our beaches :p

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know but I'm sure my Country is a tropical climate and these clams are live on our beaches :p
You are probably fine then. Interdial species do pretty well with temp changes.

And you're probably in trouble because now I'm going to the store down the street to look for some!!!

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're on the look for these clams then might check out this clam too Anadara subcrenata it's often show up in Asian market, if you near any JP market you might have change to find them alive more than other Asian markets.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're on the look for these clams then might check out this clam too Anadara subcrenata it's often show up in Asian market, if you near any JP market you might have change to find them alive more than other Asian markets.
Thank you so much!

Down here our Mitsuwa and Diaso are the only Jp markets, we go very regularly, but sadly they only offer refrigerated or frozen. Our 99 Ranch here is quite large though and has several large tanks.

I will keep an eye out for them at Mitsuwa .

I bought Codium alge there. It was in refrigerator section in a salad mix. It died last year. But several months later it popped up behind my rocks. I now have a large piece growing behind the rock, and one that the crabs move around the tank.

IMG_0370.JPG

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like you are living around Orange County, you should pay a visit to Seafood sections in Vietnamese/Chinese/Korean Markets in Westminster, Garden Grove, Santa Ana...you never know you what you can find in there :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
San Diego actually.

I've made several trips up to those places to shop.

I work in los angles so I can stop on my way.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected one of these about 3 weeks ago and it was doing fine in my system. After reading this thread, I went to check on it and it was open. Wow. Looks like someone had a free lunch. :(
I don't really know much about them, though. I was experimenting.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected one of these about 3 weeks ago and it was doing fine in my system. After reading this thread, I went to check on it and it was open. Wow. Looks like someone had a free lunch. :(
I don't really know much about them, though. I was experimenting.
At least you knew where to get them again :p just make sure to remove the one that enjoy free meal out of your system.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, lol. Poor guy got asasinated. I think it's a polyclad worm but not sure. It was in my sump as I have a DSB in there. Will try it in the DT when I go out and bring another victim in again next week. (kidding)
Will sand sifting stars attack clams?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I don't belive so. Might eat it if it was dead.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shop around Asian market and found a market selling "Live Blood Clams" but they were burried under pile of ice and I don't know how long they were there LOL
I doubt anything still alive so I didn't pick any, the price is 4.99 per lbs :)
Blood Clams.jpg

I also found some live Oysters at 79 cents each, I picked a few that still response to my touch (closed up when I touch it), I'm drip acclimating them now hehehe. I hope they are alive, if not then its worth to try :)
Oyster.jpg

At least it was fun to shop around Asian market and look for these clams.

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After few hours I clean these Oyster up and seem 2 of the Oysters are alive and have some response open/close up, the other 2 are still remain closed so I guess those didn't make it, I'll keep them in a buck until tomorrow, if the 2 still alive I'll place them in my tank. :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn out the other 2 Oysters are still alive, they're opened up.
Now, here is a problem. I don't know they are cold water or tropical water temp LOL :eek:

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doubt about those blood clams this morning so I came back to the super market and chose 5 biggest blood clams in that batch, I'm slowly dripping my tank water into bucket to see if they response when the water heat them back up from hypernation stage o_O so far seem like 1 of the blood clam is opening up /cheer lets hope its alive :)

OP
OP
Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 blood clams that opened up didn't make it, it was their one last time open then they are gone! The other 3 blood clams still remain close so I'm guessing they are long gone too. Oh, well. I might have better luck next time!

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep trying. Maybe ask the shop when they get their catch in and try to be there as soon as it comes in. You can explain that it's not for eating and that it's for your aquarium.
I went back out again for wild collecting but there was some typhoon going on the day before and I wasn't able to get much because the sea was very rough. Next weekend again. I'll try to find some clams and take pics. There are also scallops here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back