Tell me about your bearded dragon (care and setup)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this wild milk snake morph I found hiking in Arizona!

ADE99427-6A3B-4DD9-BE3F-66CB5D91BEE2.jpeg A542D4CD-95C0-4F2A-B715-547D97ECE605.jpeg F87CAF9D-EDC9-4126-A4B0-D2ED2C073EC2.jpeg
Back in the day I kept a snake, it was called a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Absolutely gorgeous snake. The iridescence in the sunlight was mesmerizing.
1581545414122.png

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful!
back in high school I had a scrub python mean little guy they are thin for their length and this guy was around 5’ well my sister decided while I was out it would be cool to show it off to her friends and I got a call to come home at 12pm because it struck at her and she ran and never closed the cage... so I had a unhappy scrub python in the rafters of my garage.... at midnight
They are arboreal.... it’s so hard to get a angery snake out of rafters by your self they can pretty much grab with every inch of the body and u only have 2 hands and one must hold your self from falling and the other keeps the teeth at bay.... lol

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this applies to beardies, but for my geckos and snakes I like to use zoomeds cage carpets. A lot less maintenance than most bedding in my experience.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this applies to beardies, but for my geckos and snakes I like to use zoomeds cage carpets. A lot less maintenance than most bedding in my experience.
Beardies tend to get their toenails caught in the repticarpets.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice in this thread!

First pet I ever had was a garter snake. I caught it in my back yard when I was around first grade. Kept lots of different reptiles in my days. I got a ball python in the summer before 6th grade. It was already 3 years old when I got it. I still have her today and I'm 38. My best guess is that it's 31 years old this year.

I also have a beardie, a corn snake and a red footed tortoise that'll out live me.

My beardie is around 12 years old if my guess is right on when I get him. Super mellow and just chills out. I let it roam the reptile room at will some times. Its enclosure has a uvb bulb and an incandescent for lighting. I also use a heat strip under the tank to help with temp during the colder months. I usually have to lift the tank up on something so the the strip isn't too close to the glass. Otherwise, it can get too hot. I check this with a temp gun. Try not to let it get past 85 on the substrate(tiles). I have a few different bowls for food and water as I cycle them out when one set is dirty.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beardies are great! i had Rex for 11 years, passed away in 2012. He ran around free in the apartment for years and was "potty trained," meaning i put a 12"x12" tray maybe an inch tall with a little kitty litter in it in the bathroom on tile floor. He learned to go to the bathroom in there. Wasn't easy and he missed quite often but at least it wasn't on the carpet.

They are smarter than people give them credit for. Despite people saying they cant see water... Mine then learned the dish i laid out had water because he would run over and dive headfirst and start drinking. Mind you it was the same dish for most of his life.

The bedding i used was crushed walnut shell i believe. sands and woodchips can be hard on their digestive system and supposedly the walnut was okay.

He would chase cats around the house eventually got a pup that just didn't understand gentle so Rex got a nice big indoor/outdoor cage but loved to sit on a shoulder or your check while watching tv

GOOD LUCK and love them lots as a Beardie can be a great companion

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Dan!

I have a 3 year old Beadie.... Hi name is Frisco. Currently he is in his brumation period, which means he's hibernating. They do this in the winter. My guy eats super worms and collard greens. Cage size is a 40 Gallon, with doors on the front...
As far as lighting, I have a 100W heat bulb, and a Reptisun T5 Fixture.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several beardies and only one ever went into Brumation. That was awesome. I don't know if it is because I live in the desert and keep temps very consistent or what, but they just never did it.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No brumation in the 11 years i had my guy but i live in Southern CA... warm year round. One thing i thought of when he ran around the apartment i always left windows shades open so he could sunbath and there was a large heat blanket i left in a corner turned on for him. I fed mine mostly crickets and super meal worms. Occasionally hotdogs and chicken if i ran out of crickets and worms. Such awesome animals with a ton of character. glad to see others loving theirs too.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a large Purple Tegu and Bearded Dragon. I have also kept many species of monitors and snakes. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. This is an older pic of my Tegu (he is about 3.5 feet now) and one of my monitors.

Black Roughneck.jpg Bluecage.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going to get the bearded dragon this weekend as part of my wife's Valentine's Day (gotta say...I NEVER thought I'd be buying my girl a lizard for Valentine's Day!!). I've convinced her that we probably couldn't get one for a few months. Haha!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Valentine's Day gift was a hit!! My wife loves this little guy and the kids are super excited. Now we've just gotta come up with a name for him.

20200215_224028.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

willitrue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't how to do it properly, but i'm trying to wash it and take care about it's home

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back