Temp dropped during preventative fallow. Do I need to lengthen time?

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently fallow for brook and on day 13. I had put my first 3 fish in and within a few days one of the clowns had brook so I pulled them and am QTing them with copper and metro. While ich or velvet did not seem to be present in the tank, I did not treat the QT before placing them in the tank originally. Therefore it may have been possible they brought some during the 3 days they were in the DT.

We had a power outage last night for a few seconds, and most of the heaters did not turn back on because I programmed it wrong in the apex. Over 12 hours the temp dropped from 81.5 to 78.

With knowing that I don't necessarily have ich in the tank, do I need to extend the fallow period? Not sure how only half a day would affect the life cycle, especially since these time periods are all worst case scenario anyway.

Any thoughts much appreciated!!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seem a temp difference for ich so I would not think that dropping to 78 would change the 6 week fallow for Brook.

sdreefer619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give more info. Like how big is your tank. Sand particle size? Power heads? Reason is I was assuming I had brook also but my sand was too fine and had way to much flow and the sand never had a chance to settle causing the fish to appear they had brook because it literally looked the same. The mucus covered bodies and stuff. In my case I took the power heads out and used the return flow for flow and the water cleared up and fish were fine. I went through like 4 pairs of clowns. Poor guys

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seem a temp difference for ich so I would not think that dropping to 78 would change the 6 week fallow for Brook.

Right. I'm not worried about the Brook. Just was trying to fallow for everything at once just in case they also had ich and just didn't show symptoms.

Can you give more info. Like how big is your tank. Sand particle size? Power heads? Reason is I was assuming I had brook also but my sand was too fine and had way to much flow and the sand never had a chance to settle causing the fish to appear they had brook because it literally looked the same. The mucus covered bodies and stuff. In my case I took the power heads out and used the return flow for flow and the water cleared up and fish were fine. I went through like 4 pairs of clowns. Poor guys

I had that happen with rock dust in my QT but with a different fish that has since passed for other reasons. I know I had brook in my display though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fallow period for Brooklynella is 6 weeks (42 days) - the minimum fallow period for Cryptocaryon is 45 days at the higher temp. I would not think that dropping the temp for 12 hours would change the fallow period for either.

IMHO, the problem with all of these 'dates' is that they are not absolute. ie There are people that have had fallow periods for 76 days - and had a recurrence of Cryptocaryon. The 76 day fallow period recommendation came from a study done in the 1990's - which found that 1 strain out of several survived 72 days - so people added a couple days to 'be sure'. In all likelihood, a 45 day period - especially at the higher temperature is adequate - but also not absolute. Hope this helps!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No need to extend treatment While 6 weeks is a general consensus, it’s because
Brooklynella can live free floating in the water or even in the rocks for as much as 6 weeks even without a host - it must have a fish to host on. Brooklynella has no specific life cycle like ich and velvet does

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While 6 weeks is a general consensus, it’s because
Brooklynella can live free floating in the water or even in the rocks for as much as 6 weeks even without a host - it must have a fish to host on. Brooklynella has no specific life cycle like ich and velvet does
maybe I'm wrong - I think he was asking about Brook and Ich

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
maybe I'm wrong - I think he was asking about Brook and Ich
He was asking if he needs to extend treatment due to temperature drop which he does not

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He was asking if he needs to extend treatment due to temperature drop which he does not
I know - I answered his question:).

The fallow period for Brooklynella is 6 weeks (42 days) - the minimum fallow period for Cryptocaryon is 45 days at the higher temp. I would not think that dropping the temp for 12 hours would change the fallow period for either.

IMHO, the problem with all of these 'dates' is that they are not absolute. ie There are people that have had fallow periods for 76 days - and had a recurrence of Cryptocaryon. The 76 day fallow period recommendation came from a study done in the 1990's - which found that 1 strain out of several survived 72 days - so people added a couple days to 'be sure'. In all likelihood, a 45 day period - especially at the higher temperature is adequate - but also not absolute. Hope this helps!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the slight temp drop, for a short time won't really extend the fallow period by all that much, if at all.

However, copper won't help with Brook, and IMO, Metro won't be of much benefit either. That said, as long as you don't see active signs of Brook, then I wouldn't be too concerned.....

Jay

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 and @Jay Hemdal Thank you for the advice on the Fallow. I will stick with 45 days and maybe go an extra few if I have the patience and to allow the tank to go back to 78 degrees over a few days.

The brook has cleared up after a Ruby Reef Rally Bath and Metro. Since I had to have the DT go fallow for 6 weeks anyways, I decided to just QT and fallow for all major diseases at once. That is why I am using copper now to treat for any ich or velvet potentially present. Then they will just be in a holding tank until the DT is ready. No indication of any other parasites that might need prazi so I am skipping that.

@Jay Hemdal What is your suggested treatment for brook? I got the Ruby Reef and Metro from HumbleFish and those connected with him. In my research when I was dealing with it, I had not seen any guidance from you over treating an active outbreak or prophylactically treating for it. Maybe I missed a post somewhere?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 and @Jay Hemdal Thank you for the advice on the Fallow. I will stick with 45 days and maybe go an extra few if I have the patience and to allow the tank to go back to 78 degrees over a few days.

The brook has cleared up after a Ruby Reef Rally Bath and Metro. Since I had to have the DT go fallow for 6 weeks anyways, I decided to just QT and fallow for all major diseases at once. That is why I am using copper now to treat for any ich or velvet potentially present. Then they will just be in a holding tank until the DT is ready. No indication of any other parasites that might need prazi so I am skipping that.

@Jay Hemdal What is your suggested treatment for brook? I got the Ruby Reef and Metro from HumbleFish and those connected with him. In my research when I was dealing with it, I had not seen any guidance from you over treating an active outbreak or prophylactically treating for it. Maybe I missed a post somewhere?

My go-to treatment for Brooklynella is formalin, but that is difficult to source now days. Ruby Reef has worked for some folks, but I don't have a lot of experience with that. If you are not seeing signs of Brook, I'd be inclined to continue with the copper...followed by a course of Prazi to help resolve any possible fluke issues.

Jay

Back