Temperate Reef

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California, norway zone, new york, australlia, Japan, and mediterranean can be mixed everything else no and watch norway zone and mediterranean temps compared to the other 3
Catalina goby (pair off like clownfish? Keep in groups in larger tanks)
Zebra catalina goby
Komohara blenny (ideal number is up to trios)
Whitespotted filefish (single except when buying bonded pairs)
Eastern hulafish (groups of 6)
Eumicrotremus Taranetzi (lumpsucker species small about 2.3")
Blue spotted jawfish?
Potbelly seahorse
Margarite snails?
Some peppermint shrimp?
Certain boxfish like ornate boxfish

Note some need freezing temps some can live in warmer water most need 50° to 65°.

That is all my research so far. I intend to research for a couple months to 2 years before starting I wish to have a longer list of fish for use in this tank. I live near the Long Island Sound in Ny. Any fish or invert ideas would be apreciated. This planning phase may take a while but I do believe I know where I will start. For now assist me by reviewing my other info and if anyone knows any good local fish please tell me. Thank you.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little donax clams I pull off the beach are another option.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to keep the tank so cool? Chillers get expensive quick
I am aware step 1: basement
Step 2: 20g tank to start
Step 3: keep it closer to 60 or 65 for initial few specimens that fit that range.
Later I will continue towards other organisms.

Also check out my youtube channel Za Fish Guy to see what I have now I have a 90g freshwater and a 60g saltwater with mostly fish.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will likely have to collect 90% of the livestock myself but some gems are avalible online such as the catalina goby and the komohara blenny and such. Anyone know if there is any place like coldwater marine aquatics still around?
Where could I source waratah anemones?
Project is still 2 years away I believe but I might as well look into sourcing livestock I know where to get enough to be satisfied but I want to know what else is out there.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of threads with LI Sound tanks. I guess its was a bit common to do so as a starter salt water tank for youths.

oh yeah. I have to note that @PaulB has been getting mud and critters out of the Sound for his tanks for decades and attributed the addition of this "gut bacteria" to his success. And of course the empty beer bottle that also made the journey from the Sound to his tank.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of threads with LI Sound tanks. I guess its was a bit common to do so as a starter salt water tank for youths.

oh yeah. I have to note that @PaulB has been getting mud and critters out of the Sound for his tanks for decades and attributed the addition of this "gut bacteria" to his success. And of course the empty beer bottle that also made the journey from the Sound to his tank.
Except this is my 3rd tank. 1st attempt at this however. I just want to know two things... anyone know any other species than what I listed that don't live in the sound that I could source?

If I stick to only native livestock would they need a chiller?

JANSCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temperate reef aquarium. The fish come from South East Australia.
It is a 750 liter or 190 gallon Aquarium

Diodon nicthemerus
diodn nicthemerus.jpg

Aracana ornata male

P1010793.jpeg

Aracana ornata female
P1010739.jpeg

Chelmonops curiosus
P1010866 (1).jpeg

Anoplocapros lenticularis
54DF9198-1A15-4FE6-941C-C41E394D0922.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temperate reef aquarium. The fish come from South East Australia.
It is a 750 liter or 190 gallon Aquarium

Diodon nicthemerus
diodn nicthemerus.jpg

Aracana ornata male

P1010793.jpeg

Aracana ornata female
P1010739.jpeg

Chelmonops curiosus
P1010866 (1).jpeg

Anoplocapros lenticularis
54DF9198-1A15-4FE6-941C-C41E394D0922.jpeg
I have seen 2 of those species from divers den I also heard they could be imported.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will likely have to collect 90% of the livestock myself but some gems are avalible online such as the catalina goby and the komohara blenny and such. Anyone know if there is any place like coldwater marine aquatics still around?
Where could I source waratah anemones?
Project is still 2 years away I believe but I might as well look into sourcing livestock I know where to get enough to be satisfied but I want to know what else is out there.

There is a cold water marine group in Facebook with some venders.

Margarita snails do great at 55-60.

Red footed snails can be found on blue zoo.

I tried to acclimate a Konohara Blenny down and it didn't go so great. Maybe need much slower acclimating from the reef temps it is born in...over a period of days or weeks perhaps?

Waratah anenomes show up sometimes...my LFS orders them here and there. I think they come through Quality Marine. Reef Gen also sold captive bred ones under the name cherry anenomes.

JANSCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a nice story about on Reefbuilders.

I saw. I believe that a few native NY species can actually survive in a reef after seeing a few native species in @Paul B 's tank. I think I will try a few native inverts in my reef before thinking about trying a full cold water system I remember reading about him trying mud snails and grass shrimp among other critters.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I collect straight from the sound or should I go out off of LI. I live towards the inner part of the sound. Close to Orchard Beach.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project has been stalled. So the waiting game on how some of my other tanks are doing has commenced.

Back