Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sized heaters are you going with and how many? Also, are you going to also monitor/control them with an aquarium controller?

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are reasonable priced. I have a couple chillers at work that use a Ranco controller and have never had a issue with them.
That seems a strange reason as I've looked them up they're about 3 times the price of the Inkbird and double the D-D?

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sized heaters are you going with and how many? Also, are you going to also monitor/control them with an aquarium controller?
Either one 300W or two 200W Schego titanium heaters probably. Not using with a controller.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inkbird, ranco are decent and cheap baylite is fine. Avoid the baylite if you are going with two heaters as they don't offer an option for two heaters on one unit. That would force you into getting two controllers.

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me having 15 years experience with a temperature controller with out a failure is worth the extra $40 over the Inkbird.
That makes more sense as a reason - I think you left off the important part the first time! Although It's a lot bigger price difference over here (about £60 - probably about $80-85 approx). Ranco is obviously like Hanna as they also like to double their prices in the UK.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco temperature controllers are made for and used in commercial / industrial applications. They aren’t hobby grade pieces of equipment like you see flooding the aquarium hobby. Innovative reefers from decades ago adopted them for use as aquarium temperature controllers... most of them are probably still in use today.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco is industrial grade. Inkbird is barely hobby grade. Ranco is worth the money.

For any unit, it is easy to attach a one-to-three power cord to run multiple heaters.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up with Ranco mentions above, I highly recommend Ranco over inkbird. Ranco is industrial grade and inkbird is FAR from industrial grade. inkbird is cheaper throw away grade in my experience.

I have not owned an inkbird temp controller for aquarium use. I have used and Continue to use many other inkbird temp controllers though. I use them for my smoker and also modified freezers and refrigerators for wine making and beer making. They work reasonably well but I’ve had a couple temp probes fail. I personally would not trust them for my reef tank. If I lose a batch of beer, or over cook a brisket, so be it. I’ll buy another temp probe and make another brisket. If it failed and my fish died I’d never forgive myself!

I know lots of people use inkbird and love them. My experience is just my experience and not meant to be trashing inkbird because I do like them for what they are.

if you do want an inkbird, they have many sales reps on Facebook and elsewhere. You can send them a message and they will send you 50% off code. I’ve never payed more than 50% for any inkbird product.

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up with Ranco mentions above, I highly recommend Ranco over inkbird. Ranco is industrial grade and inkbird is FAR from industrial grade. inkbird is cheaper throw away grade in my experience.

I have not owned an inkbird temp controller for aquarium use. I have used and Continue to use many other inkbird temp controllers though. I use them for my smoker and also modified freezers and refrigerators for wine making and beer making. They work reasonably well but I’ve had a couple temp probes fail. I personally would not trust them for my reef tank. If I lose a batch of beer, or over cook a brisket, so be it. I’ll buy another temp probe and make another brisket. If it failed and my fish died I’d never forgive myself!

I know lots of people use inkbird and love them. My experience is just my experience and not meant to be trashing inkbird because I do like them for what they are.

if you do want an inkbird, they have many sales reps on Facebook and elsewhere. You can send them a message and they will send you 50% off code. I’ve never payed more than 50% for any inkbird product.
I can see the Ranco for about $60 on some American sites, but it's about £100 ($140) on the only website I can even see selling them in the UK - and all of the reviews are from people in the USA, so I'm not sure it would have the right voltage to even work over here anyway. So to be honest I think Ranco is a no, however good they are. Also, what do you mean by sales reps for Inkbird being on Facebook? How do you contact them?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the Ranco for about $60 on some American sites, but it's about £100 ($140) on the only website I can even see selling them in the UK - and all of the reviews are from people in the USA, so I'm not sure it would have the right voltage to even work over here anyway. So to be honest I think Ranco is a no, however good they are. Also, what do you mean by sales reps for Inkbird being on Facebook? How do you contact them?
They have reps on the hobby forums on Facebook and various other forums. BBQ Smoking meat etc. I always send them a private message and ask if they have any discount codes. I’ll check to see if they have reps for the 306a.

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 of the Ranco that have been used on and off for the last 15-20 years and they are still very accurate and work perfectly. No other controller I have had has lasted more than a few years. Ranco is well worth the price just for piece of mind alone.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back