Temperature for noobie with hopes to do softies and LPS

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

My Fluval Evo (AIO 13.5 gallon, with 10g display) is almost finished cycling. I am currently using a Sicce 0.5 (185 gph) as well as a Jebao SOW-3 Wavemaker (running on lowest settings, which claims: 100V 60Hz US plug, 500L/h to 4000L/h). Everything is fine, EXCEPT, since adding the Sicce return pump and wave maker, I am finding that the temperature in the aquarium is around 76-77.2 degrees Fahrenheit (depending), and that is WITHOUT a heater. My house is currently 72-74 degrees depending on time of day. Wondering if the individual equipment items are heating up my tank, since the water column is so small (only 13.5 gallons or less), and maybe the equipment is holding up the temp.

SO my question is what temperature should I strive for my aquarium to be? Do I target 77 degrees? But then I probably can't run a heater in the summer months...
Or do I go for something like 79-80 degrees and run a 50 watt heater at lowest settings? I appreciate any advice from you all!

And I am running open top with a net, so no glass lid or anything.

Last edited:

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, water temps in the ocean fluctuate with the seasons. For instance, in Figi, water temps range from (77° F to 86° F. So, if your temps in your tank change with the seasons, that's fine too.

I personally like running my tank at a solid 77 because nearly everything in the industry is calibrated for 77.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets pretty cold in the winter in Canada. What if your power cuts out, are you willing to sacrifice your tank over a $40 heater?

EDIT - That was a brain freeze thought,sorry, dont know what I was thinking....

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, water temps in the ocean fluctuate with the seasons. For instance, in Figi, water temps range from (77° F to 86° F. So, if your temps in your tank change with the seasons, that's fine too.

I personally like running my tank at a solid 77 because nearly everything in the industry is calibrated for 77.

I appreciate the responses. so with everything running (including a 100 watt heater), my temperature was 80.8 or so (I am still cycling...almost done, but no animals in the tank yet). I unplugged the heater and after 4-6 hours, it began dropping. At 77-78 degrees, I unplugged the wavemaker just to see where the temperature lands. It has been around high 75s to 76.2. So plugged back the wavemaker.

Going to see how it lands tonight, and I might put the 50 watt eheim heater back in at lowest settings and see how that works. Just trying to reach some sort of stability. I understand things are volatile in the wild. I would like to try bringing down the temperature in my house, but then I have a very pregnant wife to contend with, and that battle isn't worth fighting right now! :)

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets pretty cold in the winter in Canada. What if your power cuts out, are you willing to sacrifice your tank over a $40 heater?

It has been very warm the past few weeks. It isn't about the cost or anything. I am asking for advice on how to best reach stability. I'd rather run a heater. I ran a heater in my FW 30 gallon and 2 heaters in my African Cichlid tank (75g).

Trying to find a resolution where if I use a heater, is it ok if it is closer to 80 during the summer months...

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been very warm the past few weeks. It isn't about the cost or anything. I am asking for advice on how to best reach stability. I'd rather run a heater. I ran a heater in my FW 30 gallon and 2 heaters in my African Cichlid tank (75g).

Trying to find a resolution where if I use a heater, is it ok if it is closer to 80 during the summer months...
I dont know what I was thinking, cant use a heater if power cuts out anyway.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say to bump the temperature there is more growth in warmer temperature. 78 is usually the sweet spot lets say your heater ranges or loses calibration it might be off 1-2 degrees if kept at 78 your still in sweet spot. I usually set my tank to 77 in summer and 79 in winter. my tank stays at 79-82 in summer and 77-79 in winter due to house temps.

Previous studies showed corals often grow faster during summertime when temperatures are warmer and show reduced growth during winter months (Bak, Nieuwland & Meesters, 2009), suggesting corals held at warmer temperatures would stimulate growth.

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say to bump the temperature there is more growth in warmer temperature. 78 is usually the sweet spot lets say your heater ranges or loses calibration it might be off 1-2 degrees if kept at 78 your still in sweet spot. I usually set my tank to 77 in summer and 79 in winter. my tank stays at 79-82 in summer and 77-79 in winter due to house temps.

Previous studies showed corals often grow faster during summertime when temperatures are warmer and show reduced growth during winter months (Bak, Nieuwland & Meesters, 2009), suggesting corals held at warmer temperatures would stimulate growth.
Do you recommend a temperature controller? Others have recommended the inkbird.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature controller is always better than trusting the heater thermostat.
Unfortunately, you just missed the InkBird 50% off everything sale a week or two ago.

Can't you just set the heater temp lower or is it still producing measurable heat in the tank even if it never comes on (just from being powered)?
*if that's the case, temp controller (like InkBird/Ranco/whatever) should mostly solve that since the controller basically cuts the power to the heater.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the temperature probe in my qt and display tank it alerts me if tanks go above certain temp or below. My heater was acting up yesterday been shutting off so I'm replacing it normally replace my heater every year or 2 as precaution most likely item to fail that results in nuke of the tank. The new heater was in a package with the ink bird controller. I recommend ink bird its peace of mind whether you get control or temperature probe is up to you but peace of mind.

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the temperature probe in my qt and display tank it alerts me if tanks go above certain temp or below. My heater was acting up yesterday been shutting off so I'm replacing it normally replace my heater every year or 2 as precaution most likely item to fail that results in nuke of the tank. The new heater was in a package with the ink bird controller. I recommend ink bird its peace of mind whether you get control or temperature probe is up to you but peace of mind.

Thank you. I actually just picked up an inkbird at my LFS. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inkbird is now set up with a BRS heater. The temperature is now fine. Moves between 77-78 in the range the factory settings come with. I will call my LFS tomorrow and see what they recommend for the range.

Thanks everyone for the help. The temp controller is incredible! :)

christa1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Inkbird with Wi-Fi so I am able to monitor and change temp anywhere from my phone. Very convenient and definitely helps give me peace of mind in knowing the temperature is stable.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back