Tenecor vs Midwest Custom Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight's second shift started and I asked them to send a few pics of in process stuff going through.

Image (20).jpg

STUDIO Stand in Snow White. VERY popular.

Image (21).jpg

48x18x30 Black back freshwater. Flawless seams. See image below.

Image (22).jpg

Here is a video snippet so you don't think we cherry pick our shots.

You will also notice the unbreakable polycarbonate lids with feed cups in the upper left corner of the video. Every Tenecor tank gets those.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you are going to slander a company, it would be nice to prove your point .
Slander would be a statement that was not true. Finding photos from 2006 is gonna take me a while if I even still have em. And yes, that’s a lot of time for a company to improve but based on my interaction with them back, then they lost me as a customer forever thanks to how little they were willing to do to fix the issues.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slander would be a statement that was not true. Finding photos from 2006 is gonna take me a while if I even still have em. And yes, that’s a lot of time for a company to improve but based on my interaction with them back, then they lost me as a customer forever thanks to how little they were willing to do to fix the issues.
I understand, but my point is if you have been following Tenecor on R2R , they have been excellent responding and telling their story of how original ownership has taken back the company. I am a business owner myself, so I know how comments can cost someone business and that is all I am saying, you could cost them business for really no reason. The original owner has taken back the company and revamped it all, give them a chance.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, but my point is if you have been following Tenecor on R2R , they have been excellent responding and telling their story of how original ownership has taken back the company. I am a business owner myself, so I know how comments can cost someone business and that is all I am saying, you could cost them business for really no reason. The original owner has taken back the company and revamped it all, give them a chance.
Sadly when you buy a name you buy the history. If they have turned around great new owners will outweigh the old. But considering I was a collage kid who saved up to buy custom tank they were really my first super bad experience with company and left me very salty to this day. Also, the more I think about it I now remember the stand was very low-grade plywood or chipboard. It was RJ aquariums stands that I replaced with that was made of proper quality furniture grade ply. I am curious for a close up of those wood stands to see if they are still using the same quality.

Here is a test, put the tank on the ground, fill it with water and attach something to the ground perfectly vertical that touches the furthest point the pane bows. Drain the tank and measure how far back it moved from that point Or I guess just measure center front to center back wall before and after use something like a 220g. Mine was apx an inch bow on each side iirc.

Last edited:

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly when you buy a name you buy the history. If they have turned around great new owners will outweigh the old. But considering I was a collage kid who saved up to buy custom tank they were really my first super bad experience with company and left me very salty to this day. Also, the more I think about it I now remember the stand was very low-grade plywood or chipboard. It was RJ aquariums stands that I replaced with that was made of proper quality furniture grade ply. I am curious for a close up of those wood stands to see if they are still using the same quality.
I get it . They actually have some nice new aluminum stands with beautiful panels , check out their website

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time period you reference matches with when the third owner was at the helm. He lasted only a couple of years. I don't know anything about him. As for buying the name, nothing like that. I was putting away some books one day in late 2020 and came across some work binders from when we designed and installed petsmarts store systems. Looked up Tenecor and saw they were out of business. Thought it would be fun to do it all over again. At thst time I had just sold my last bio tech startup (5,000 employees in over 120 countries and the irony of it we manufactrrd infectious disease tests) and wanted something fun to do. This is a fun business. What was your aquarium? Let's fix this.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time period you reference matches with when the third owner was at the helm. He lasted only a couple of years. I don't know anything about him. As for buying the name, nothing like that. I was putting away some books one day in late 2020 and came across some work binders from when we designed and installed petsmarts store systems. Looked up Tenecor and saw they were out of business. Thought it would be fun to do it all over again. At thst time I had just sold my last bio tech startup (5,000 employees in over 120 countries and the irony of it we manufactrrd infectious disease tests) and wanted something fun to do. This is a fun business. What was your aquarium? Let's fix this.

It was basically a 220 gallon standard tank footprint just shorter. That tank is long gone nothing left to fix. I would like to see a more recently made (large) tank filled with a photo taken from the side to see any bowing. I think actually seeing that would get me to accept that the company has changed and that I can finally just treat it like a new company with a blank slate.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was basically a 220 gallon standard tank footprint just shorter. That tank is long gone nothing left to fix. I would like to see a more recently made (large) tank filled with a photo taken from the side to see any bowing. I think actually seeing that would get me to accept that the company has changed and that I can finally just treat it like a new company with a blank slate.
Do you want a new tank?

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a new tank?
Someday when I get the itch to go insane and do a built in again. What are 5x2x(2 or 2.5)fts going for now and what thickness do you use. Also, I would always ask for a sample of the acrylic if I ever bought an acrylic tank again to test it’s abrasion resistance because the stuff that my tank had hazed over just from using a magnetic cleaner made for acrylic.

This is not my tank however, this is basically how mine looked from the side, and it was slightly under 2ft tall.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 41

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someday when I get the itch to go insane and do a built in again. What are 5x2x(2 or 2.5)fts going for now and what thickness do you use. Also, I would always ask for a sample of the acrylic if I ever bought an acrylic tank again to test it’s abrasion resistance because the stuff that my tank had hazed over just from using a magnetic cleaner made for acrylic.

This is not my tank however, this is basically how mine looked from the side, and it was slightly under 2ft tall.
I don't think you understand. This is no charge. You pay shipping or FOB AZ

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This tank is probably made from continuous cast acrylic. Also would explain the crazing.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is probably made from continuous cast acrylic. Also would explain the crazing.
I don’t know much about acrylic properties, but would that also explain the Bowing that it had? Like I know acrylics going to have a little bit, but I wasn’t expecting it to be so noticeable or for me to literally be able to push on it and have it move. It was very unnerving.

And I appreciate the offer and it really says a lot that 17 years later or what have you I got a better response from you in 20 minutes then months of fighting back then, but I am going to have to think about if I really want to step back into the hobby, that deeply again I am currently with a 20 gallon getting used to all the changes (live rock is bad now apparently?)

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about acrylic properties, but would that also explain the Bowing that it had? Like I know acrylics going to have a little bit, but I wasn’t expecting it to be so noticeable or for me to literally be able to push on it and have it move. It was very unnerving.

And I appreciate the offer and it really says a lot that 17 years later or what have you I got a better response from you in 20 minutes then months of fighting back then, but I am going to have to think about if I really want to step back into the hobby, that deeply again I am currently with a 20 gallon getting used to all the changes (live rock is bad now apparently?)
Offer stands. Let me know when.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back