OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 28 month update:
Things are going well. Moved the ato to the basement! Lost a fish :( Sps growing

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tenurepro great video and Merry Christmas to you too !!! Do you have your skimmer's Red Dragon pump connected to your Apex?

Thanks! Yep skimmer pump is connected to apex. I have a few bits of code that are handy. So when return pump is off, it automatically shuts down skimmer. Also, I have a float sensor in the cup so if the skimmer overflows, it will shut down the skimmer pump

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I couldn’t resist... after losing two ice fire echinata frags and deciding to give up on this grail acro - one came up for sale... what is an acroholic to do?
So I got it... and got another acro - Major Lazer.
I also decided to do a minor aquascape of my bottom right boulder. I removed the entire thing and used these new dry rock slaps that are easy to aquascape with... looking really artificial right now but I think it has some potential
f57cd9fe6697946f7c95386aa59f922e.jpg

2048e84208488ca7f739c9b908837f44.jpg

e2e391158c47fe99aae03b64a4cc93ad.jpg

16e34555947db1f0e70df285a0ab7d88.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I knew something was wrong when you didn't show up at the last Fragoholics Anonymous Meeting.

So you broke down and just got One........Then Two.....

Next thing it will be JUST ONE MORE.....I can STOP..... Sure, I believe you.

Hmmm...

Don't be ashamed, I also broke down and got a Nice Milli Frag too today.

BTW. Nice Frags. Rock work is a nice structured pyramid shape.....

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I knew something was wrong when you didn't show up at the last Fragoholics Anonymous Meeting.

So you broke down and just got One........Then Two.....

Next thing it will be JUST ONE MORE.....I can STOP..... Sure, I believe you.

Hmmm...

Don't be ashamed, I also broke down and got a Nice Milli Frag too today.

BTW. Nice Frags. Rock work is a nice structured pyramid shape.....

Thanks Wally!

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I couldn’t resist... after losing two ice fire echinata frags and deciding to give up on this grail acro - one came up for sale... what is an acroholic to do?
So I got it... and got another acro - Major Lazer.
I also decided to do a minor aquascape of my bottom right boulder. I removed the entire thing and used these new dry rock slaps that are easy to aquascape with... looking really artificial right now but I think it has some potential
f57cd9fe6697946f7c95386aa59f922e.jpg

2048e84208488ca7f739c9b908837f44.jpg

e2e391158c47fe99aae03b64a4cc93ad.jpg

16e34555947db1f0e70df285a0ab7d88.jpg
Im in the same boat. For some reason the ice fire just croaks within a week of being placed in my tank. Hopefully third time is a charm!

Cool build... will be following along.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat. For some reason the ice fire just croaks within a week of being placed in my tank. Hopefully third time is a charm!

Cool build... will be following along.

Yeah it’s know to be tricky. But there is something about that white and blue that keeps me wanting to try again

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tenurepro how do you clean the Calcium Carbonate crust out of your ATO reservoir and how often does it need it? I would like it try using Kalkwasser but not sure what method.

I don’t bother cleaning the ato reservoir itself - but if I did, then I would use a weak finger solution and scrub the grime off. I clean the ato pump and line every couple of month by running the whole system in diluted vinegar for 15 min.

Kalk is a great way to supplement Alk and ca and to raise ph. Here is a little vid that I did on how I ran kalk in my ato. I no longer dose kalk via ato because it’s a little bit hard to keep levels super consistent because my rate of evaporation fluctuated a bit with the seasons. Also, I travel often and kalk + low house co2 lvls led to really high ph when away. So I decided to just do 2 part. A kalk reactor would have allowed me to control kalk input a bit more but I don’t have room for one.

Cheers!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tenurepro thanks for the great video and response. Did you try anything to lower pH when it was too high? I have a BRS DIY Kalk dripper from the kit but only used it once. It worked great once I got the drip going but to start the negative pressure inside the container some of the slurry shot back into my mouth as I blew on the RO tubing. Needless to say it was tasteless and the slurry that got in my mouth must have had the pH of full saturation ~12. Surprisingly it did not burn the inside of my mouth! BRS must have already known kalkwasser is fairly safe since their video recommends blowing on the tubing to start the drip! Can @Randy Holmes-Farley chime in here?

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes - I would rinse your mouth with lots of cold water. I am surprised that brs recommended mouth pipetting - it’s pretty corrosive.

For me, the ph issues were not drastic but enough to be annoying. My ph typically would hover between 8.2 and 8.3; but when I went away, it would jump to 8.5 to 8.6; once issue is that I had my apex set to turn off my ato if ph went above 8.5 (to prevent kalk over dose). So I ran into a situation where the ato was being turned off most of the day, then when the ph dropped to 8.49, ato would activate quickly raising ph and automatically shutting off again.

Not ideal. Nevertheless, I think kalk can be very useful in many situations

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes - I would rinse your mouth with lots of cold water. I am surprised that brs recommended mouth pipetting - it’s pretty corrosive.

For me, the ph issues were not drastic but enough to be annoying. My ph typically would hover between 8.2 and 8.3; but when I went away, it would jump to 8.5 to 8.6; once issue is that I had my apex set to turn off my ato if ph went above 8.5 (to prevent kalk over dose). So I ran into a situation where the ato was being turned off most of the day, then when the ph dropped to 8.49, ato would activate quickly raising ph and automatically shutting off again.

Not ideal. Nevertheless, I think kalk can be very useful in many situations
I love the idea of getting PH over my current 8.0-8.1, but for the reasons you mention I am hesistant on DT which is doing fine (a bit slow on growth, or maybe I watch too often)
I do have a kalk reactor (and plenty of left over SEALED Kalk from years ago), and as a trial an thinking of testing the concept in my Frag Tank.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I made this -hopefully- comprehensive video guide to reef photography. I erred on the side of 'encyclopedic' at the expense of entertainment, but hopefully you will find this of use!

leopard.jpg

Mandarin_july2018.jpg
#12.jpg
DSC_2863-Edit-1.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back