Termite Fumigation and aquariums

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently we had to tent our house for termites which involves sealing the whole house with a tent and pumping poison in it for 24hrs. Obviously this is pretty stressful especially when you have $10k + in fish. There wasnt much info on people doing this so i figured ill do a write up for future reference.
IMG_4878.JPG

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poison used, VIKANE, is not water soluble. I have 2 tanks, a 120g SPS dominant and a 40b LPS tank. From my research, heat buildup is a main concern. Even though my tanks are chilled, the house could turn into an oven circulating heat. Luckily both tanks are over chilled and that wasnt an issue. My next concern was if fish gulped air, it would be poisonous. The 120g, i sealed the top with plastic and pumped air in from outside using a septic tank pump. Just needed enough pressure to keep the seal ballooned
IMG_4875.JPG

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks i turned off the skimmers and made the pumps run constantly. (No feed mode)

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One article in Advanced Aquarist mentioned the tear gas used as a burglar repellant may have been the cause of some inverts dying so I asked the fumigator not to add tear gas.

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned off the lights on the 120g to prevent heat buildup. I noticed my PH drop from 7.7 to 7.4 probably because it was sealed, so I turned off my calcium reactor. Which brought it back to 7.7. Thank goodness for my Apex.

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I had zero losses. Even the pods in my sump were fine. I did have one SPS bleach to a light pink. In the 40b, half a dozen nems bleached to a light pink and and on a big head of hammer, some heads looked lighter. No invert, snail or urchin losses. No fish losses. Overall really happy with the outcome. Something I was researching and stressing about for a year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back