Terra Reef Aquaculture

docscorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
640
Reaction score
592
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across a video on YouTube by Reef Rookies discussing a mystery box from Terra Reef. I was impressed when he said they don’t send out fresh cut frags and that the frags are usually good size.

I looked at the website and was impressed and have been thinking about ordering a couple frags to test them out. Has anyone purchased coral from Terra Reef before? Is Reef Rookies right in what he said about them?
 
I've not purchased from them but they are very highly regarded on Humble's site.

They are.

Jon is a great guy to talk to and very grounded. A small business in our hobby that I personally love to support. I do not buy corals often but have purchased two from him.

The main photo below is the "Weedy Acropora" (possibly Scripps Acropora per Jon) - here is what mine looks like today. I would highly recommend this coral if one is looking for something that has a natural look and feel as we would see it while scuba diving. Nice tight branching that nano fish would love to hide in. Doesn't mind high nutrients (nitrates 45 ppm, phosphate 1.33 ppm). Grows pretty fast even with my high nutrients. Grows well in high flow with branches growing up and out.

Mine has a green base and branch. Upper part of branch to the tip is light purple to mauve. Polyps are green. Polyps are out day and night. Also worth noting that one of my urchins knocked it around a bit which it recovered nicely. Also worth a mention that it is a light weight coral compared to some of my thicker branched Acropora. That may change down the road but for now I was a bit surprised how light it was yet branches are firm. It is even larger now than the 2nd picture.

I did not take a current photo of the other frag I purchased which was the Blue Tip Acropora. I am looking for a specific growth pattern for a high flow system and we feel this is it. It is growing well but not as fast as the weedy. I like it though and seems to handle my high nutrients well. So that is a win, win.

Frag upon arrival 01/05/2026 - encrusted, not fresh.
1780941222433.png


06/08/2026:
1780941144825.png


Here are the corals on the frag rack:
1790471056986.png
 
They are.

Jon is a great guy to talk to and very grounded. A small business in our hobby that I personally love to support. I do not buy corals often but have purchased two from him.

The main photo below is the "Weedy Acropora" (possibly Scripps Acropora per Jon) - here is what mine looks like today. I would highly recommend this coral if one is looking for something that has a natural look and feel as we would see it while scuba diving. Nice tight branching that nano fish would love to hide in. Doesn't mind high nutrients (nitrates 45 ppm, phosphate 1.33 ppm). Grows pretty fast even with my high nutrients. Grows well in high flow with branches growing up and out.

Mine has a green base and branch. Upper part of branch to the tip is light purple to mauve. Polyps are green. Polyps are out day and night. Also worth noting that one of my urchins knocked it around a bit which it recovered nicely. Also worth a mention that it is a light weight coral compared to some of my thicker branched Acropora. That may change down the road but for now I was a bit surprised how light it was yet branches are firm. It is even larger now than the 2nd picture.

I did not take a current photo of the other frag I purchased which was the Blue Tip Acropora. I am looking for a specific growth pattern for a high flow system and we feel this is it. It is growing well but not as fast as the weedy. I like it though and seems to handle my high nutrients well. So that is a win, win.

Frag upon arrival 01/05/2026 - encrusted, not fresh.
1780941222433.png


06/08/2026:
1780941144825.png


Here are the corals on the frag rack:
1790471056986.png
Did I read that right? That's 5 months of growth???
 
Did I read that right? That's 5 months of growth???

Let me double check - to keep me honest. I'll grab another picture as well. I am pretty sure I added this in the Apex notes.

My understanding is that this coral is a fast grower to begin with. Not anything that I am doing. I dose 100 ml of AFR in the morning which maintains my water chemistry. Lights are nothing fancy, a pair of Neptune SKY's.

I wish I could say it is me but honesty in reefing I believe it is the nature of the coral. Or placement. It has "weedy" in its name - so maybe that is why.
 
I've not purchased from them but they are very highly regarded on Humble's site.

They are.

Jon is a great guy to talk to and very grounded. A small business in our hobby that I personally love to support. I do not buy corals often but have purchased two from him.

The main photo below is the "Weedy Acropora" (possibly Scripps Acropora per Jon) - here is what mine looks like today. I would highly recommend this coral if one is looking for something that has a natural look and feel as we would see it while scuba diving. Nice tight branching that nano fish would love to hide in. Doesn't mind high nutrients (nitrates 45 ppm, phosphate 1.33 ppm). Grows pretty fast even with my high nutrients. Grows well in high flow with branches growing up and out.

Mine has a green base and branch. Upper part of branch to the tip is light purple to mauve. Polyps are green. Polyps are out day and night. Also worth noting that one of my urchins knocked it around a bit which it recovered nicely. Also worth a mention that it is a light weight coral compared to some of my thicker branched Acropora. That may change down the road but for now I was a bit surprised how light it was yet branches are firm. It is even larger now than the 2nd picture.

I did not take a current photo of the other frag I purchased which was the Blue Tip Acropora. I am looking for a specific growth pattern for a high flow system and we feel this is it. It is growing well but not as fast as the weedy. I like it though and seems to handle my high nutrients well. So that is a win, win.

Frag upon arrival 01/05/2026 - encrusted, not fresh.
1780941222433.png


06/08/2026:
1780941144825.png


Here are the corals on the frag rack:
1790471056986.png
Wow. That is some impressive growth. It lives up to its name!
 
@Michael Hughes - sorry for the delay but went back through my notes and you are right. I had the date incorrect. Not too far off though but still an additional two months. I added the coral on 11/19/2025.

Here is an updated picture today. Still not too bad for 10 months of growth. Hope your day is well.


1790709440274.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new