Terrible Profilux performance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love GHL hardware and the app UI is fine, but I’m fed up with the slow performance of GHL Connect. I’m hoping someone could please confirm their unit performs equally as bad as mine.

My network is a Unifi USG with Unifi WiFi AP-Pro. I am a 30 year software/network engineer by trade, this is not a problem with my network. I have no issues with other any other device.

Accessing the Profilux in a web browser via WiFi on port 80 is very fast. GHL Connect Via WiFi is terribly slow. myGHL is even worse.

These are my connection setting

0A82331C-2D80-4294-814B-CF42B0F82106.png

Connect in GHL Connect app. After 17 seconds...

02836722-F9B2-4C8D-99E6-DB198DC4FCFD.png

After 76 seconds...

36A7EA26-C15E-4C97-84AC-7E4F3C2F22D2.png

After 4 minutes none of the other tiles loaded. This is pretty typical. Is it like this for everyone else? I’m incredibly frustrated given the amount of money I’ve invested, and tired of fighting with it. I want it to work though because I really like everything aside from this!!

Any ideas?

I have done all updates of every type.

I just can verify that ghl connect is ridiculously slow. I have fought this for months. I added a wifi extender on a suggestion from a buddy. Yeah, no, ghl connect is still just as slow.

In my aquarium cabinet:

Screenshot_20211215-012443_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20211215-012419_Nighthawk.jpg

Edit:

Here's with profilux told to connect to 5G just for the hell of it. In the aquarium cabinet:
Screenshot_20211215-014323_Nighthawk.jpg
Screenshot_20211215-014310_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can verify that ghl connect is ridiculously slow. I have fought this for months. I added a wifi extender on a suggestion from a buddy. Yeah, no, ghl connect is still just as slow.

In my aquarium cabinet:

Screenshot_20211215-012443_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20211215-012419_Nighthawk.jpg

Edit:

Here's with profilux told to connect to 5G just for the hell of it. In the aquarium cabinet:
Screenshot_20211215-014323_Nighthawk.jpg
Screenshot_20211215-014310_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Create a ticket and solve the problem with GHL - you can do it here - if you really want to solve your problem......

Sincerely Lasse

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Create a ticket and solve the problem with GHL - you can do it here - if you really want to solve your problem......

Sincerely Lasse

I started the ticket. I guess you cannot communicate via email in that? They can email you but any replies go nowhere?

And i guess I'm not really sure what they're going to do. I do connect, just not always, and ghl connect is just terribly slow. From what i can tell from others, they're going tell me my wifi is the problem, and leave it at that. Hopefully im wrong.

Static, automatic, tried both. Feel like i could write their instructions by now read them so many times.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand 75% of the words being said in this thread :p If that’s what it takes to make this thing work, Im going to blame the manufacturer and say that they arent really trying to make this easy for your average user.

i Have eero 6 pro mesh network and a quick google search indicates that I can’t force 2.4 for a specific device… not Sure what that means but I guess I’ll spend Saturday trying to figure this out a bit more.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand 75% of the words being said in this thread :p If that’s what it takes to make this thing work, Im going to blame the manufacturer and say that they arent really trying to make this easy for your average user.
"B---I---N---G---O, B---I---N---G---O, and Bingo was his name oh" :) (go ahead sing along!)
i Have eero 6 pro mesh network and a quick google search indicates that I can’t force 2.4 for a specific device… not Sure what that means but I guess I’ll spend Saturday trying to figure this out a bit more.

I setup the profilux to both 2.4 and 5ghz, at different times thinking one would work better than another. Both were equally slow. It does not appear the profilux cannot connect to 5ghz network.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If enough people note how difficult GHL's software is to use and connect--maybe--just maybe---they'll do something about it and spend the marginal amount of resources it would take (hire a guy or two?!) to address usability issues with the software...

If GHL users just defend their purchase choice, e.g., brand loyalty, tribalism, crap, etc.,..., and don't speak out--it won't be corrected--that i can guarantee.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the ticket. I guess you cannot communicate via email in that? They can email you but any replies go nowhere?
You need to log into your ticket again with the same name and email address (as guest) and you can see their answers and communicate with them there. On the ticket list you can see your tickets and open them and have communication about the actual issue. That the app and my GHL can be slow sometimes is true but all the problems you have had with connection - Is not normal

Sincerely Lasse

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to log into your ticket again with the same name and email address (as guest) and you can see their answers and communicate with them there. On the ticket list you can see your tickets and open them and have communication about the actual issue. That the app and my GHL can be slow sometimes is true but all the problems you have had with connection - Is not normal

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks!

Mostly agree, just with some caveat; I just think it appears pretty "normal" to have wifi connection or usability issues with GHL, depending on how you define "normal." I am pretty much convinced that it is normal to have issues. Users may ultimately resolve those issues, with some effort, but that doesn't mean it's not normal to have them in the first place.

In other words, I don't think there is much disagreement about the GHL being far more difficult (to infuriating??) to connect to wifi or in regard to using its software than other controllers or wifi devices.

I cannot say that I have seen any review stating otherwise; all comparisons i have read give top marks to apex for wifi setup and software usability and low marks to GHL for wifi and software setup and usability.

My inditement against GHL--which i challenge them to fix--is that i should not need a "ticket" to connect the device to the internet. In 2022, one should plug a device into the wall, press a few buttons and be up and running on wifi. That is not a tall ask nowadays, whatsoever.

An easy fix that has been ignored is to create expansion card that has hardwired ethernet. Another easy fix is to streamline the software and wifi connection process so that it is not "normal" for users to spend a lot of time connecting, not "normal" for users to have issues, and not "normal" to have to open a ticket. A WPS button comes to mind for sure.

The common statement "Buy a GHL for reliable/better hardware or buy an APEX has reliable/usable software" could be resolved by GHL in its favor, but i see very little outward effort or commitment from them to do so. I think the only thing "normal" about using a GHL at the moment is many users will have issues with wifi and setting up the device.

Some users simply report giving up on wifi and utilizing USB connections straight to a computer. That's pretty sad for a thousand dollar device without an ethernet connection.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem that I had with WiFi on the GHL, can be seen in the router, if you have a way to see traffic logs. I use OpenWrt so I was able to see the problem right away. It is because the GHL is constantly making a DHCP connection requests. This is even when the Static IP is set. It is crazy to see how often it does this.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty much convinced that it is normal to have issues
I have not any connection issues with the WiFi as you describe. if you have the issues you are talking about - it is not normal - if you want to solve them - create a ticket and follow it up.

Sincerely Lasse

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not any connection issues with the WiFi as you describe. if you have the issues you are talking about - it is not normal - if you want to solve them - create a ticket and follow it up.

Sincerely Lasse

I think connection issues are normal with ghl. Too many reviews and posts to not think its normal to have issues. Just not a polished interface.

I'll follow up with them, but hopefully i have an end around and wont have to use ghl connect through the internet.

Cheap tablet that wont shut off and connected to ghl's wifi directly. If it stays connected, this will work...

20211216_191942.jpg

20211216_185445.jpg

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stayed connected all night. This is awesome. I can actually walk up to the tank AND ITS CONNECTED.... i can hit buttons ans it works!

my ghl is another story, but who cares-- beggers cant be choosy--and good enough for who its for! Lol

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just prove that there is no WiFi problems with the P4 WiFi connection when your connection is locally. The WiFi works perfect between your router and P4.

Sincerely Lasse

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think connection issues are normal with ghl. Too many reviews and posts to not think its normal to have issues...
One does have to take into consideration that people usually only post when they have issues, not when the don't.

I have not really experienced connection issues with my P4 or Mini Wi-Fi. If I did, then I would consider that abnormal.

Just the other day I had a power flicker at my house. I got the alarm notification text from the P4 within a minute, it was actually probably within 30 seconds. The router and Wi-Fi I'm using is what was provided by my ISP.

I do agree that the procedure for initial connection to the equipment needs improvement. Needs to be as simple as everyother piece of Wi-Fi equipment out there.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just prove that there is no WiFi problems with the P4 WiFi connection when your connection is locally. The WiFi works perfect between your router and P4.

Sincerely Lasse

Proves i dont think that.

Maybe, if the wifi hot spot broadcasting is the same chip as the one that recieves a wifi signal.

There's too many variables. The fact a dozen wifi devices have no problems whatsoever only the profilux -- points to it. And they just have to own up to and recognize, and fix, that the insanely crappy software and usability issues.

I also think lots of people have problems and post nothing. Many just return or sell. The guy i bought one of mine from--said he tried to set up for a day or so--then just made life changing and sanity saving decision to get rid of it as fast as he could, essentially.

Regardless, i still cannot really connect to the app with myghl. Stupid slow to load tiles. Have to restart app a few times.

And even ghl connection directly--if i disconnect--it wont always reconnect. I need restart app, etc.

Regardless, beggars cant be choosy, ghl isnt what id go with next time, and i would not recommend this product to my worse enemy---BUT i have a tablet connected that i will just NEVER disconnect and IT WORKS.. so while im not impressed--im functional and happy!

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I FINALLY am able to connect through my home network - the final price of the puzzle was that the profilux’s default IP address was 192.168.4.1 which was also the same as my Eero router. Once I changed that in both the network setting (when connected to the ProfIlux via the ProfIlux hotspot) and also the device setting (on the list of devices menu for the GHL Connect app), I was able to connect to the ProfIlux.

heh. Serious hoops.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Mostly agree, just with some caveat; I just think it appears pretty "normal" to have wifi connection or usability issues with GHL, depending on how you define "normal." I am pretty much convinced that it is normal to have issues. Users may ultimately resolve those issues, with some effort, but that doesn't mean it's not normal to have them in the first place.

In other words, I don't think there is much disagreement about the GHL being far more difficult (to infuriating??) to connect to wifi or in regard to using its software than other controllers or wifi devices.

I cannot say that I have seen any review stating otherwise; all comparisons i have read give top marks to apex for wifi setup and software usability and low marks to GHL for wifi and software setup and usability.

My inditement against GHL--which i challenge them to fix--is that i should not need a "ticket" to connect the device to the internet. In 2022, one should plug a device into the wall, press a few buttons and be up and running on wifi. That is not a tall ask nowadays, whatsoever.

An easy fix that has been ignored is to create expansion card that has hardwired ethernet. Another easy fix is to streamline the software and wifi connection process so that it is not "normal" for users to spend a lot of time connecting, not "normal" for users to have issues, and not "normal" to have to open a ticket. A WPS button comes to mind for sure.

The common statement "Buy a GHL for reliable/better hardware or buy an APEX has reliable/usable software" could be resolved by GHL in its favor, but i see very little outward effort or commitment from them to do so. I think the only thing "normal" about using a GHL at the moment is many users will have issues with wifi and setting up the device.

Some users simply report giving up on wifi and utilizing USB connections straight to a computer. That's pretty sad for a thousand dollar device without an ethernet connection.
Interesting. When I bought the 2016 Apex I had to open a ticket to get it working. To have the issue fixed I had to schedule for them to fix it virtually. It also REQUIRED an apple computer or I would have needed to mail the head unit into Neptune. Fortunately my gf had an apple computer and was eventually.

I do think that GHL is probably better suited for the advanced user. The software is slightly daunting when you first start using it. If you choose to learn the logic it turns out to be pretty simple. There is definitely a level of satisfaction you feel setting something up so easily that so many struggle with. There are two other options for ppl that prefer the ease and functionality of consumer level products.

Could you even imagine the forum post you would have made if they told you you were required to have an apple computer to get their product up and running.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to quote but this is in reponse to the above comment “So it was no problem of the Profilux but a lack of network-knowledge. that is good to hear. So now you can enjoy your Profilux as many others. :)

I think the level of ‘“network knowledge” required to properly set up the Profilux is sufficiently and atypically high as to be an inherent barrier to use by your average user. It surprises me how many seem to want to defend the incredibly poor design of this system. Not sure what vested interest one might have in actively being satisfied with or otherwise supporting software that creates a horrible user experience.

frankly, I wouldn’t recommend this product nor would I have kept it if I could have returned it.

Last edited:

gerard_zzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to quote but this is in reponse to the above comment “So it was no problem of the Profilux but a lack of network-knowledge. that is good to hear. So now you can enjoy your Profilux as many others. :)

I think the level of ‘“network knowledge” required to properly set up the Profilux is sufficiently and atypically high as to be an inherent barrier to use by your average user. It surprises me how many seem to want to defend the incredibly poor design of this system. Not sure what vested interest one might have in actively being satisfied with or otherwise supporting software that creates a horrible user experience.

frankly, I wouldn’t recommend this product nor would I have kept it if I could have returned it.
Perhaps there are enough people around who are happy with there GHL-equipment. So you did not understand how to set it up, that proves it is a incredible poor design? It surprises me how many seem to want to blame GHL for all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the equipment. But for now, you must be very happy because you have it working. Perhaps now you must enjoy this and stop complaining on and on and on and on?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back