Terrible Profilux performance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at about 45 seconds to over a minute if at all to load tiles in browser. Tiles take a lot of time too. I dont particularly think 8 seconds is all that fast this day and age... i mean bigger websites load in less than 1/2 second. Why the lag at all. Apex does not have that...
I have owned both the classic apex and 2016. The classic required setting up port forwarding in the router to access outside your local network. The 2016 routinely lost its heartbeat to fusion, would not reconnect for hours and could also be very laggy when using switchable outlets or not switch at all. This affected not one, or two but three different apex head units. Often times I would have to unplug supply power to apex head unit to get it to reconnect to fusion. Never had this issue with GHL, rock solid since day one. Same exact router and WiFi settings.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people are so dissatisfied with the product do your self a favor and grab your biggest hammer, head out to the driveway and go office space on it! Trust me, you’ll feel better. Just send me your address first so I can come pick it up. That things German made, it’ll be good as new!

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this hammer would provide sufficient satisfaction

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really ‘free’. It is part of the GHL package.
You can download it free even if you do not own a GHL product - so it is free. I know how much other softwares of the same quality and reliability costs even if you own a product from the actual company.

I know exactly what I am talking about but thanks for your patronizing attitude.

Me too - but I can´t find any patronizing tone in my post. I just - with examples - show the setup of a working system instead of a stream of ranting words about an alleged malfunctioning system.

I’m glad it works for you; it doesn’t work properly for me (and many others).
I´m so confident with my setup that I do not need the comments "and many others" in order to strengthen my cause.

heat pump and furnace installed this week
When you get the app (and the heat pump) to work (and give a decent indoor climate) when the outdoor temperature vary between -2 and + 2 degree C (28.4 F - 35,6 F) - you will have my congratulations. Everyone that have experiences of real estate automation in in temperate climates know exactly what I mean.

There is an easy way to solve problems with GHL products - just create a ticket with customer support at GHL and they will help you.

Sincerely Lasse

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the GHL apologists actually appreciated the simple FACT that people are having extraordinary difficulty in setting up their GHLs rather than just saying how easy it was for them, we might actually have some level of productive conversation.

im always amazed (nonplussed?) when some want to discount or dismiss the problems of “the others” merely by saying that they either didn’t experience the same difficulty or that they were able to overcome that difficulty.

sure, if 99% of the population has the same perspective as to the “reasonableness” of the 1%’s problems, then maybe the fault lies with the 1%. But re: the GHL system specifically, I think a quick google search supports the proposition that a meaningful portion of purchasers have a fundamentally negative user experience. That may not be your experience or you may personally believe that the experience wasn’t as negative as those others are choosing to portray it as - but categorically discounting those experiences is some combination of arrogance, insult, ignorance and delusional denial.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but categorically discounting those experiences is some combination of arrogance, insult, ignorance and delusional denial.
At least - you can see that my system work - I can prove it. If some persons only produce rants of how bad it is - without showing or telling anything about the system - or create a ticket in order to solve the problem with the manufacturer - I can´t take that serious. With @Mywifeisgunnakillme case - I know that he have problems and that people try to help him to solve it. But it can be a hardware failure - therefore it is important to have a discussion with the manufacturer or its representant.

If the GHL apologists actually appreciated the simple FACT that people are having extraordinary difficulty in setting up their GHLs
Is this true or even a FACT - how many P4 is sold around the world - how many had report problems with the set up? I do not know the figures - i´m sure that you do not know it either. I report my experiences - not others. I´m willing to help with my knowledge - but rant after rant is not a serious way to have a conversation. You can study the threads in the official support forum here and get an idea how common these problems are

Sincerely Lasse

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can download it free even if you do not own a GHL product - so it is free. I know how much other softwares of the same quality and reliability costs even if you own a product from the actual company.

Me too - but I can´t find any patronizing tone in my post. I just - with examples - show the setup of a working system instead of a stream of ranting words about an alleged malfunctioning system.

I´m so confident with my setup that I do not need the comments "and many others" in order to strengthen my cause.

When you get the app (and the heat pump) to work (and give a decent indoor climate) when the outdoor temperature vary between -2 and + 2 degree C (28.4 F - 35,6 F) - you will have my congratulations. Everyone that have experiences of real estate automation in in temperate climates know exactly what I mean.

There is an easy way to solve problems with GHL products - just create a ticket with customer support at GHL and they will help you.

Sincerely Lasse

Did you miss the part where you said that those calling the software crappy didn’t know what they were talking about? That was the patronizing bit.

Sure, you can download the software but what use is it if you don’t have a GHL hardware product?

It’s not an ‘alleged’ malfunctioning system in my case. I’ve given examples of issues that I have had but you’ve chosen to ignore them as it doesn’t suit your narrative.

If I was to create tickets for all of the problems, or software that doesn’t do what a product of this cost should be able to do, then I won’t have time for anything else. It is quicker and less frustrating for me to just switch to a different controller that works out of the box.

I’m genuinely glad that yours is working faultlessly. I can genuinely understand that there are probably lots of people who either have no problems, have fixed their problems or don’t care/choose to ignore minor inconveniences. Why can’t you understand that that isn’t the case for everyone?

Mine definitely has issues. It might be my network or router, but every other Wi-Fi product I own (and there are lots) have no problems. GCC crashes, GHL connect crashes, the setup wizard can’t detect SSIDs - what more evidence do you want?

That doesn’t even look at some of the shortfalls of the software. Why can’t I set up a simple automatic overnight dosing schedule without a degree in programming? Why doesn’t the Profilux screen show the name of my maintenance programs (in GCC I have called it ‘water change’, on the profilux screen this is referred to as ‘maintenance 1’, which means I have to write it down on a piece of paper so that I know which programme is which, on a several hundred dollar controller!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying it cant work perfectly for people. I am saying it takes too long to set up internet wifi, doesnt connect reliably for some, is far harder software to use and learn than the competition, and that's on GHL for not polishing what could be a great product for all users.

I found an aqua controller jr, over a decade ago, much easier to program and use.

People should not believe GHL when they day anything about the setup is simple and easy. That's not true.

Granted, you learn it, you master it, you might love it. But its a long hard road to there for most, and not something that is not remotely "plug and play".
I agree, the initial wifi setup process needs improvement.

I personally do not find GCC, web interface or phone app to be bad or great. I find them to be good and functional for what I need to do. I actually prefer to use GCC when making setting changes to my system.
...im always amazed (nonplussed?) when some want to discount or dismiss the problems of “the others” merely by saying that they either didn’t experience the same difficulty or that they were able to overcome that difficulty...
In general, I do not think people are being dismissive. I think for the most part people go out of their way to help others resolve an issue they may be having. The dismissive part is with the statement that issues are normal, when others have not experienced it. When others post that they have not experienced the issue, that as well has been dismissed or the person simply labeled a "fanboy".

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Why doesn’t the Profilux screen show the name of my maintenance programs (in GCC I have called it ‘water change’, on the profilux screen this is referred to as ‘maintenance 1’, which means I have to write it down on a piece of paper so that I know which programme is which, on a several hundred dollar controller!
On the controller itself it does only state "Start 1, Start 2, Start 3, Start 4". If using the app or web interface it will have the description that you enter.

I find the display on the P4 a pain to use. I have the Touch screen, so I normally use that or the app. The maintenance modes can be directly accessed from the "X" button, which makes those easily accessible. At least the P4 has a display screen.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the GHL apologists actually appreciated the simple FACT that people are having extraordinary difficulty in setting up their GHLs rather than just saying how easy it was for them, we might actually have some level of productive conversation.

im always amazed (nonplussed?) when some want to discount or dismiss the problems of “the others” merely by saying that they either didn’t experience the same difficulty or that they were able to overcome that difficulty.

sure, if 99% of the population has the same perspective as to the “reasonableness” of the 1%’s problems, then maybe the fault lies with the 1%. But re: the GHL system specifically, I think a quick google search supports the proposition that a meaningful portion of purchasers have a fundamentally negative user experience. That may not be your experience or you may personally believe that the experience wasn’t as negative as those others are choosing to portray it as - but categorically discounting those experiences is some combination of arrogance, insult, ignorance and delusional denial.
You could have opened a ticket and handled your issue privately directly with GHL. Unfortunately there is now a negative thread open where ultimately you were in the wrong and never gave GHL support the chance to help you have a positive user experience. In your situation the information you needed was found in the documentation provided with the Profilux.

How you interact with any companies tech support will greatly impact the level of support you will receive. Make sure to always treat them with respect and exercise patience.

You very well could be the 1%. You have no idea how many Profilux are in service worldwide. Even if there were a thousand threads that shared negative experiences I doubt that would even be 1%.

I love how the people that seem to have the most issues are completely unwilling to learn the basic programming logic. Once you learn the basics it’s actually very easy use that understanding to build off of for more advanced tasks. People are willing to learn/understand all other aspects of reefkeeping but draw a line in the sand at learning how to setup the Profilux. I may be incredibly stubborn at times but never turn down the opportunity to increase my knowledge or learn new skills which this hobby provides plenty of avenues for.

If your experience is so terrible, please do yourself a favor and move on. Luckily controllers are one of the lowest cost items on our tanks. Doing so is not a huge loss and selling will recoup a portion of that.

I’m tired of all the ranting and raving. I saw a thread pop up awhile back where someone ordered a frag rack and were absolutely appalled when they received it. The plastic screws holding it together were visible from the “top.” Sadly they were using it upside down… No apology to the manufacturer after they slandered their product and shared with everyone just how disappointed they were. One email to the manufacturer and this could have been resolved privately. If that had been me I would have had the mods change the thread to “SORRY, I’m a monkey - Dismiss this!”

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you miss the part where you said that those calling the software crappy didn’t know what they were talking about? That was the patronizing bit.

Sure, you can download the software but what use is it if you don’t have a GHL hardware product?

It’s not an ‘alleged’ malfunctioning system in my case. I’ve given examples of issues that I have had but you’ve chosen to ignore them as it doesn’t suit your narrative.

If I was to create tickets for all of the problems, or software that doesn’t do what a product of this cost should be able to do, then I won’t have time for anything else. It is quicker and less frustrating for me to just switch to a different controller that works out of the box.

I’m genuinely glad that yours is working faultlessly. I can genuinely understand that there are probably lots of people who either have no problems, have fixed their problems or don’t care/choose to ignore minor inconveniences. Why can’t you understand that that isn’t the case for everyone?

Mine definitely has issues. It might be my network or router, but every other Wi-Fi product I own (and there are lots) have no problems. GCC crashes, GHL connect crashes, the setup wizard can’t detect SSIDs - what more evidence do you want?

That doesn’t even look at some of the shortfalls of the software. Why can’t I set up a simple automatic overnight dosing schedule without a degree in programming? Why doesn’t the Profilux screen show the name of my maintenance programs (in GCC I have called it ‘water change’, on the profilux screen this is referred to as ‘maintenance 1’, which means I have to write it down on a piece of paper so that I know which programme is which, on a several hundred dollar controller!
Did you really just complain that you had to manually type in your SSID? Yes, your correct. The only viable resolution is for you to switch to a different controller. No need to open a ticket - issue resolved.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you really just say that it is normal for a Wi-Fi device to not be able to find any SSIDs?

That is why I said that there is a difference in attitude towards this. Some are happy to work around the issue, but it doesn’t mean that the issue isn’t there. If that was the only problem then I agree; I wouldn’t switch to a different controller for that. However, that is just one of the network problems that I am having. Repeatedly dropping the connections, not reconnecting and only allowing updates to be saved once before having to close GHL connect and opening it up again to make further changes are enough for me to switch controllers.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - it is not because its true.

Per definition still free - you do not pay extra for it.

Your choice - just do it

Why can’t I set up a simple automatic overnight dosing schedule without a degree in programming?
I have no degree in programming but I can read and my thinking is logical. I succeeded to do what you ask for

Why doesn’t the Profilux screen show the name of my maintenance programs (in GCC I have called it ‘water change’, on the profilux screen this is referred to as ‘maintenance 1’
Its not true - My dashboard show the right name

1640260745108.png

1640260822108.png

Sincerely Lasse

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you really just say that it is normal for a Wi-Fi device to not be able to find any SSIDs?

That is why I said that there is a difference in attitude towards this. Some are happy to work around the issue, but it doesn’t mean that the issue isn’t there. If that was the only problem then I agree; I wouldn’t switch to a different controller for that. However, that is just one of the network problems that I am having. Repeatedly dropping the connections, not reconnecting and only allowing updates to be saved once before having to close GHL connect and opening it up again to make further changes are enough for me to switch controllers.
What issue? They give you an input for your SSID, you input the SSID. Am I missing something here? How does this not function exactly as intended?

The only resolution is this case is to move you to another platform. Ticket closed!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back