OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the same low boy frag tank. How high are your lights off the water?

Maybe 16"-18" off the surface. It is only a 4 bulb Tek light, but all of the corals look fantastic, SPS included. I was worried about it not being enough light. But, with as shallow as the water is, it seems to be working fine.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well maybe I'm blasting mine with to much light. I'm at 15" with an 8 bulb ATI fixture. I just put a test frag in it yesterday, so I will see what happens.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry tank looks great man well done!!! I have a question, do you think the FX130 is enough flow for your tank? how come you did not go with the FX230 or FX250 Gyre ? In your experience would it be worth it to make your own CAL,MAG, ALK ?

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry tank looks great man well done!!! I have a question, do you think the FX130 is enough flow for your tank? how come you did not go with the FX230 or FX250 Gyre ? In your experience would it be worth it to make your own CAL,MAG, ALK ?

I have one XF150 (the newer version of the older Gyre) and one XF250 with the new controller. I love the combination of the two. I don't know that a 130 would be enough, without jacking the power all the way up. I have mine max out at 70%

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one XF150 (the newer version of the older Gyre) and one XF250 with the new controller. I love the combination of the two. I don't know that a 130 would be enough, without jacking the power all the way up. I have mine max out at 70%
Thanks I think I will go with 1 fx 230 with controller and a 130 as well just for different water flow movement

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some big updates this month:

Kessil A80:

IMG_20170601_152517_zpsqrsxeiij.jpg

IMG_20170601_152529_zpsoljrqett.jpg

IMG_20170601_152503_zpsbzxww1wx.jpg

IMG_20170601_152510_zpseajxq6jr.jpg

FMM:

IMG_20170603_123007_zpsfvzujg92.jpg

IMG_20170603_123012_zpsdx90o8b1.jpg

IMG_20170603_123018_zpsbqmbssoj.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you monitoring with the fmm

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you monitoring with the fmm
Never mind watched the video but u have all four slots used so what are the other two for?

And Did you happen to change the size of the sensor in apex to one inch?

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I went into the classic dashboard and changed the setting.

The other two sensors are a leak detection sensor and an optical sensor in my ATO reservoir to email/text me when it is low and turn off the ATO pump.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With mine I got the opposite I have an m1 as a return and was thinking I was only getting 500 gallons an hour out of it here it's at 1800 gallons an hour so I have no idea I have it set up on another vectra with the same gallons an hour so I'm guessing it's right.

I also believe your not trying to see daily fluctuations but if the flow drastically changes it mean you have a problem. Like if it goes to 100 gallons an hour your pump is sucking in air.

Like you said ur tank looks amazing and if it's 300 gph out of that pump it doesn't matter because ur tank looks amazing. I wonder what ur old pump was tho

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kind of what I am thinking. Just use it to know if there is a problem. Alert me if the GPH drops below like 50, or whatever.

I just wonder if I did something wrong. I just feel like there is NO WAY that pump is only pushing 300 GPH into the display. The outlets of the eductors are moving the water pretty hard.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think u have a high pressure pump with two penductors doing its job then.

Take the penductors off or raise it out of the water I bet it could be a slight trickle of water coming out.

I would want to do it just to see if the fmm is right if I was in ur shoes

Smashville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing! I look forward to your monthly video. Are you still please with the dual Gyre setup? Did you get your overflow issue solved? I'm currently building a 180g with the Synergy overflow on the back. I'm considering going with dual XF250'S for flow.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. I am absolutely speechless after reading this whole thread on a boring morning at work. As someone who is relatively new to reefing I can not express how much I envy your reefkeeping skills, set up, house, and knowledge. I am just about to set up my second tank, a 30 g upgrade from a 10 g and couldn't imagine having, what is it, a 180 DT, 27 cube, 50 frag, 40B fuge, plus the sump?!? An incredible thread and I cant wait to see where else it goes!

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing! I look forward to your monthly video. Are you still please with the dual Gyre setup? Did you get your overflow issue solved? I'm currently building a 180g with the Synergy overflow on the back. I'm considering going with dual XF250'S for flow.

Yes, I had to turn down the power on the Gyres. I had just cleaned them, and they were just pushing too much water into the overflow box when the right side Gyre came on. Otherwise, I am thrilled with them. The Gyres are near silent and work great.

Wow.. I am absolutely speechless after reading this whole thread on a boring morning at work. As someone who is relatively new to reefing I can not express how much I envy your reefkeeping skills, set up, house, and knowledge. I am just about to set up my second tank, a 30 g upgrade from a 10 g and couldn't imagine having, what is it, a 180 DT, 27 cube, 50 frag, 40B fuge, plus the sump?!? An incredible thread and I cant wait to see where else it goes!

Thanks. I really appreciate the kind words.

It's funny, because there was a definite plan when I began working on the tank. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and executed that plan. However, once the basics were done, a lot of what I have done has just been ad hoc. I am basically making things up as I go along. I like to experiment with the tank and try new things. Not everything works out as intended, but you learn and adapt.

I will say that I absolutely love these tanks. I am enjoying the current system far more than I ever did the 120 at the old house. I cannot wait to get the basement finished and have that dedicated fish-room. Nothing is better than sitting on the couch, and just enjoying the two tanks. Both have distinct personalities and I think they complement each other well.

I love the Kessil A80 on the small tank. Just the right amount of shimmer. Most of the light for the tank comes through the windows, but the A80 does just enough to supplement it.

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Terry thank you for sharing. I have just bought a house that will allow me to do a very similar setup (lets be honest I bought the house just for that reason) and am wondering if you can share how you do your waterchanges. All of your equipment is in the basement so do you do them there out of the sump or from the tank. Kind of a silly question I know but I have never had my equipment and sump on a different floor. Also what is your waterchange schedule if you don't mind me asking. Again thanks for sharing it is really spectacular!

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Terry thank you for sharing. I have just bought a house that will allow me to do a very similar setup (lets be honest I bought the house just for that reason) and am wondering if you can share how you do your waterchanges. All of your equipment is in the basement so do you do them there out of the sump or from the tank. Kind of a silly question I know but I have never had my equipment and sump on a different floor. Also what is your waterchange schedule if you don't mind me asking. Again thanks for sharing it is really spectacular!

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

I do my water changes in a few different ways. I have found since I added the frag tank, that a lot of detritus is settling down there, so I have been shutting the valve, and siphoning out 10 gallons from there every week or so. I do the same with the refugium when needed as well. I don't like putting the water down the drain, as I have seen it kill the grass where the leach field is, so I just empty the bucket into the sump crock, where it pumps out to the back corner of the property, which I don't care if it kills the weeds out there.

Alpine926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry what make/model of T5 bulbs are you running with the Kessils? I'm thinking of doing a similar lighting setup on a 350g tank I am setting up. Also why did you add the reefbrites? Not enough pop from your corals?

OP
OP
Terry4505

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ATI Coral +, and two ATI Blue +, and yes, I just wanted a bit more pop. I love the shimmer from the Kessils, but there isn't a ton of pop with them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back