tessalata eel

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 200 gallon system and wanted to build a pvc structure for an eel I bout 2 inch pvc but is this large enough or should I get bigger? Also how big if a pvc structure should I make for him? I was thinking a U shape the goes against the back of the peninsula (36 inches) the extent out along the sides a bit to should I make it with more entrances ... maybe. a T fitting in the middle of the long piece running along the wall? any suggestions are greatly appreciated

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tesselata get big and will out grow 2" pvc fairly quickly. If you're looking for a permanent structure, I'd use 4" at least or just focus on a sturdy rock structure...

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 6 inches diameter PVC to keep it for few years 3~4 years, see my Tess in my avatar and check out the thread "post your eels thread", at that time it only 2 years old and it body grid is over 4 inches in diameter and over 3 foots long. Also, anything you put in that size tank will become food for the Tess in time, don't under estimate its power because it can move a 60 lbs of rock structure easy and collapse everything.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no need for pvc for a tessa; they will be happy to find a home among the rocks, just make sure you arrange them into cave like structures at the bottom.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PVC just add more secure to a structure and prevent accident that the tess collapsed a structure and got buried/stuck under pile of rock and died, your rock work work well when its small but i'm sure you're not calculate how big the your rock work can support it few years from now. My Tess collapsed over 100+ lbs of rock work half of the tank when its tried to make a comfy in its so called home/cave for years, lucky it's escaped with it life. If you know how to work around between rocks and PVC then no one even know there is a PVC structure under pile of rocks, for an example below is 1 of my grow out eels tank (Zebra), there is a pve cave structure with 3 entries you can see open hole from the rock works, I can place few small rock and on one knew there is PVC pipe down there and my Zebra happy as it.
Eels tank.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back