Test kit accuracy and chasing numbers

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm curious what brand test kits you are using to test your water? Which are most accurate?

I only test alkalinity in my simple tank. But for the halibut, I took a sample of my water to 2 separate fish stores to test nitrates and phosphates. I also had them test alk because one store said my salifert alk test was garbage (fyi, both stores measured the same dkh my salifert test did)

Anyway, both places tested 0 for nitrates and phosphates. This was concerning for me as I don't care to run an ULNS. One place used elos tests, the other redsea I believe.

I'm actually inclined to not believe these tests, as I don't run any form of filtration and my corals are all colorful and happy. Not pale like I would expect from 0 nutrients.

I don't really want to go chasing numbers here, but I also don't want my tank to crash from lack of nutrients especially if this is a warning I'm headed down that path.

So, any advice? I can up my feeding but I already feed everyday.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm curious what brand test kits you are using to test your water? Which are most accurate?

I only test alkalinity in my simple tank. But for the halibut, I took a sample of my water to 2 separate fish stores to test nitrates and phosphates. I also had them test alk because one store said my salifert alk test was garbage (fyi, both stores measured the same dkh my salifert test did)

Anyway, both places tested 0 for nitrates and phosphates. This was concerning for me as I don't care to run an ULNS. One place used elos tests, the other redsea I believe.

I'm actually inclined to not believe these tests, as I don't run any form of filtration and my corals are all colorful and happy. Not pale like I would expect from 0 nutrients.

I don't really want to go chasing numbers here, but I also don't want my tank to crash from lack of nutrients especially if this is a warning I'm headed down that path.

Salifert & Hanna for Alk
Salifert Ca, Mg
Hanna ULR for phosphates
I have Salifert and an old LaMotte for nitrates - I've no ideas what my nitrates are generally as I can't tell the subtle color difference, but the tests should be good to at least detect some nitrates...

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert & Hanna for Alk
Salifert Ca, Mg
Hanna ULR for phosphates
I have Salifert and an old LaMotte for nitrates - I've no ideas what my nitrates are generally as I can't tell the subtle color difference, but the tests should be good to at least detect some nitrates...

Thanks! I really haven't cared what my nitrates are honestly, but I was really surprised to hear they are 0. I shouldn't have taken my water in to get tested. Ignorance was bliss, now I'm concerned

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used a Red Sea kit for everything. Some people swear by different tests for different things, but to me that's a whole lot of effort for very little gain. I will say this though, I have a strong dislike for the API Kits since the Nitrate tests are horribly inaccurate and the cheap plastic caps make the tests leak all over the place. Being the odd duck and starting with saltwater, I didn't get that until I got an API kit for my little freshwater tank at work.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really haven't cared what my nitrates are honestly, but I was really surprised to hear they are 0. I shouldn't have taken my water in to get tested. Ignorance was bliss, now I'm concerned

I'm finding test kits mostly directional to be honest.
I think ELOS should at least detect nitrates even if the color may be tough to read so perhaps you don't have any... If you aren't having any problems then probably no need to chase numbers. I think it's a good idea to know whether you have any nitrates, I doubt a specific concentration matters as much although some would disagree.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Pro for nitrates. It is good down to about .1 ppm.

Red Sea and Salifert are good for Ca and ALK.

Salifert for magnesium. Red Sea drives me crazy on Mg.

And Hanna ULR for phosphates.

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preferred:
Red Sea Algae Pro for Nitrates and Phosphates. Easy to tell difference at very low levels.
Red Sea Foundations for Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity.
Red Sea Coral Colors for Potassium and for Iodine/Iodate/Iodide. FE test in that kit has no value.

I have the API kits and they are okay for budget kits. I only use them as a double check if something is really off on a test...usually confirms I screwed up a test. The problem with them is the 5 ml line isn't really 5ml which throws the results off.

I have used Salifert magnesium and calcium and they have always matched my Red Sea results within about 10-20 ppm so they are a nice double check.

Won't use again:
Salifert PO4
Salifert Silica
Seachem Iodine/Iodide or any Seachem kits for that matter

At some point I plan to run a Triton test and compare as I am really curious how far off the hobby kits are. If I do that I will post the results for Red Sea, Salifert, API as an experiment. Anyone ever done this? What was the outcome?

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

How old is your tank?

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preferred:
Red Sea Algae Pro for Nitrates and Phosphates. Easy to tell difference at very low levels.
Red Sea Foundations for Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity.
Red Sea Coral Colors for Potassium and for Iodine/Iodate/Iodide. FE test in that kit has no value.

I have the API kits and they are okay for budget kits. I only use them as a double check if something is really off on a test...usually confirms I screwed up a test. The problem with them is the 5 ml line isn't really 5ml which throws the results off.

I have used Salifert magnesium and calcium and they have always matched my Red Sea results within about 10-20 ppm so they are a nice double check.

Won't use again:
Salifert PO4
Salifert Silica
Seachem Iodine/Iodide or any Seachem kits for that matter

At some point I plan to run a Triton test and compare as I am really curious how far off the hobby kits are. If I do that I will post the results for Red Sea, Salifert, API as an experiment. Anyone ever done this? What was the outcome?

I switched from Salifert to Red Sea cause I couldn't believe I had zero NO3 and PO4, but it seems they were right. I still have an issue reading Red Sea PO4. Going to get a Hanna for PO4. I have Hanna for dKh and Ca, they're very close to Red Sea tests. Like you I'm interested to see what results I would get if I did a Triton test. I have found that API are good for NO3 and PO4 above 1.0 ppm readings, just sit them on a piece of copy paper and read from top.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... 14 months ish

Your system is more than likely ULN. Your nutrients levels are probably below the capability of the test kits. I have had ULN system for almost 2 years, I've been battling bryopsis almost a year, tests never show nitrate and phosphate. I almost got a Hanna checker but I recently checked my water cause I had 2 small rainfordi gobies and a small royal gramma disappear. Now I'm finally getting a reading NO3 - 0.25 ppm and PO4 - 0.16 ppm? with Red Sea Pro test kits. I have been using an amino acid supplement to keep my corals alive for the past two years, I almost lost them all before I figured it out.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is more than likely ULN. Your nutrients levels are probably below the capability of the test kits. I have had ULN system for almost 2 years, I've been battling bryopsis almost a year, tests never show nitrate and phosphate. I almost got a Hanna checker but I recently checked my water cause I had 2 small rainfordi gobies and a small royal gramma disappear. Now I'm finally getting a reading NO3 - 0.25 ppm and PO4 - 0.16 ppm? with Red Sea Pro test kits. I have been using an amino acid supplement to keep my corals alive for the past two years, I almost lost them all before I figured it out.

That would be very surprising given the way my tank is setup. I assumed my nutrients would be higher than desirable.

Either way, things look good.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of factors come into play when it comes to tanks, you just have to know your tank, I have a low fish population, a few corals but most are over two years old, I can only feed once a day but my tank has been up and running since 2006, it always had 5.0 ppm nitrate and low phosphate, then I got into SPS corals. I lost a few learning but now I have no issues since I found out what my tank likes, I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an algae scrubber, chaeto, use carbon,. Gfo ,Denis, etc ? You could have No3 and Po4 but the test kits aren' t reading it because the corals, coralline algae is uptaking it. If you see corals acting funny(ie, not opening, pale, etc) test. You can feed more, add Seachem brand for No3 and Po4, stump remover, etc if you want/need.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Terri. I do not run any of those things. Well... I use carbon in a hob filter, but only for 12ish hours after my weekly water change then I remove it because the hob is unsightly. I do have a large clam, maybe that's using more nutrients than I thought.

I'll keep an eye on things and adjust if anything looks bad. I ordered a salifert nitrate test. Not that I test often, but it will be nice to have on hand.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd update my own thread.

Received my nitrate test today, it's showing roughly 20! I had upped my feeding after 2 stores told me my nitrates were at 0, but not enough for them to jump from 0 to 20 in a week. Hopefully those stores aren't being dishonest with costumers to sell more livestock!

Nothing looks bad and I'm not worried about 20 ppm notrates, but I'm worried about ever trusting my lfs haha

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have an issue reading Red Sea PO4. Going to get a Hanna for PO4. I have Hanna for dKh and Ca, they're very close to Red Sea tests. Like you I'm interested to see what results I would get if I did a Triton test. I have found that API are good for NO3 and PO4 above 1.0 ppm readings, just sit them on a piece of copy paper and read from top.

I just bought a Hanna ULR Phosphate egg. Wow was I surprised when my Red Sea PO4 showed .08 and my Hanna showed 20 ppb (.02 ppm). That's a huge difference in the world of Phosphate control. Add the Red Sea PO4 to my list of "no longer use". It's no wonder many of us cannot agree on a decent PO4 level.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Hanna ULR Phosphate egg. Wow was I surprised when my Red Sea PO4 showed .08 and my Hanna showed 20 ppb (.02 ppm). That's a huge difference in the world of Phosphate control. Add the Red Sea PO4 to my list of "no longer use". It's no wonder many of us cannot agree on a decent PO4 level.

Thanks for the info, I guess I will get the Hanna now.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not visit that store again. The titration method used by the Salifert test kit is the same one used by Red Sea, and most other accurate alkalinity tests where a dye is involved (except, perhaps, Hanna's Alkalinity Checker). Salifert test kits are considered some of the best "bang for your buck" in terms of accuracy and price. I would be concerned with the quality of their advice if they claim one of the most popular test kits in the hobby was "garbage" without reason.

With regards to nutrients, I would not worry too much. While the test kits we have available for nitrates and phosphates are accurate enough, they're not perfect. Nor do you need to maintain phosphate and nitrate levels as carefully as you do alkalinity. If you want to raise your nitrates and phosphates a bit, try feeding a bit more. Personally though, if all the corals are colorful and growing, I wouldn't worry about the nutrient readings too much. There are lots of different tanks out there. Some do well with very low nutrient levels, others don't.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back