Test Kits vs Digital Testers

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an API Saltwater Master Test Kit that I use to check my levels daily during this first cycle but have seen many devices out there that seem to do the same thing,

I would imagine that these digital testers would have to be accurate otherwise why would I see so many reefers using them?

Also, one of the vials in the API kit has a cap that doesn't really hold tight, for some reason, so, when shaking for 30 seconds, and then again for 60 seconds during a nitrate test I'm sure that the loss of drops must skew the result anyway.

I've like to have a digital tested for as many metrics as possible and then also keep a traditional kits (with properly capping vials!) as a secondary check if I think results aren't right.

What brands, models, etc. do you all suggest?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert tests and have never had issues. Lot of people like hanna checkers too though

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mainly Hanna checkers for Ca, Phos, Alk, and Salinity. Currently testing the PASCO wireless pH datalogger for pH and I use AquaForest for Mg. I'm not a fan of API so I avoid them.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are quick and dirty. They can be “good enough”.

Salifert tests tend to be inexpensive and reliable. I use their alkalinity and their magnesium test.

I use Red Sea Pro for alkalinity, calcium, and nitrate. I think Red Sea Pro has the best nitrate test out there but only if you are OK discerning shades of pink.

I use Hanna for alkalinity and for phosphate (their ULR phosphorous test).

Before paying for a test kit, check out a you tube video so you have a sense of whether it is something you might want to actually use. Some tests have involved procedures or telling shades of color that you might not be able to discern. Bulk Reef Supply has videos on most test kits that are reasonably good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back