Tested Acros Coming Soon...Any Tips?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm going through some tough stuff soon and really need a distraction right now to keep me preoccupied (I know everyone has issues in life so don't take this as just a complaint). Although I don't have a whole lot of money to put into the hobby right now, a friend recently gave me a little money specifically for me to get coral with since they know I'm really into the hobby and wanted to help me out after I told them about how much it teaches me so I think it's only right to spend that money on what it was intended for. With all that being said, I decided it would be a good time to try out a couple tester acros in my nano tank since I already have a couple SPS and they've been thriving (they're easier ones though). I've been getting a couple things like new test kits and keeping track of my parameters but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me to do in preparation for bringing them home probably at the end of this week. I've done my research and along with new alkalinity and pH test kits I got some potassium chloride to dip them. Should I have anything else on hand? Also when I say tester acros I'm mostly referring to the low price not specific species since where I am I don't have such a great variety of corals to choose from.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure alk is stable! Most do not appreciate swings.

Honestly for first testers try and find some local hobbyists and get a few frags from them for cheap.
I'm glad I noticed my alk test kit was about to expire and ordered a new one!...and yeah, I'm gonna go for the least expensive at first... people recommend certain ones to start with but I usually am not able to get them where I am so price is mostly going to define the word "tester"

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah price is key point to tester in my mind also and I have a wide array of choices!

Personally I swore away all sps in my tank until we move but I came across a 3 pack of sps for $5 and said why not try again! Doing good a few weeks in

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a few corals I was thinking about getting...I know not all 3 are acros...the prices are in Thai baht...equal to about $10, $15, and $20
Screenshot_2022-04-17-18-08-28-710_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2022-04-17-18-07-10-376_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2022-04-17-18-07-03-519_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Stylophora, pocclipora, montipora capricornis, pavona, montipora digitata are all easy to keep SPS and a good place to start.

I would not jump right into acropora.
Have two digis already and both are thriving so I was thinking about going for something a little different...what's the name of the middle pic I posted?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back