Testing and adjusting PH before adding Salt?

reefsaver

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2021
Messages
560
Reaction score
430
Location
Victoria, Melbourne
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I test my freshwater bucket for PH before adding salt to raise salinity and adjust to a desired PH, then add my salt. Would I be doing the wrong thing? like how much would salinity change my PH?
 
Don't chase the PH dragon. When mixing a new batch of fresh saltwater just mix it to the desired level of salinity . Test the new batch for alkalinity if you want but most salt will state what their range of alkalinity should be but can vary
 
If I test my freshwater bucket for PH before adding salt to raise salinity and adjust to a desired PH, then add my salt. Would I be doing the wrong thing? like how much would salinity change my PH?

most pH buffers are bottled alk so you messing with your numbers. Not a thing to chase.

pH effect from bottled additives is often temporary (aka now we got swings) and pH changes throughout the day.
 
Last edited:
Your pH depends on alkalinity and CO2 mostly, what the pH of the freshwater is is irrelevant, you can't measure RODI with a normal probe properly anyway

And yeah, don't use bottled pH, control your alkalinity to a good value, and if that means that pH is too low, try to reduce CO2 in your tank/skimmer/home
 
I wouldn’t worry to much about pH once youve done a few tests to make sure there’s nothing wrong with it

I have it monitored by Apex but it hardly moves and I test for it very rarely Like years.

Just mix the salt up to the desired salinity and off you go. I never test the new water for anything other than salinity because im doing relatively small water changes at around 10% a week in daily amounts so it makes no difference

if your doing a major water change for some reason, then it is of course a good idea to test a bit more
 
Very helpful responses guys, I appreciate it. I was worried for a long time that I need a Marine Hanna PH Tester.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new