Testing and adjusting PH before adding Salt?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I test my freshwater bucket for PH before adding salt to raise salinity and adjust to a desired PH, then add my salt. Would I be doing the wrong thing? like how much would salinity change my PH?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I test my freshwater bucket for PH before adding salt to raise salinity and adjust to a desired PH, then add my salt. Would I be doing the wrong thing? like how much would salinity change my PH?

most pH buffers are bottled alk so you messing with your numbers. Not a thing to chase.

pH effect from bottled additives is often temporary (aka now we got swings) and pH changes throughout the day.

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH depends on alkalinity and CO2 mostly, what the pH of the freshwater is is irrelevant, you can't measure RODI with a normal probe properly anyway

And yeah, don't use bottled pH, control your alkalinity to a good value, and if that means that pH is too low, try to reduce CO2 in your tank/skimmer/home

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry to much about pH once youve done a few tests to make sure there’s nothing wrong with it

I have it monitored by Apex but it hardly moves and I test for it very rarely Like years.

Just mix the salt up to the desired salinity and off you go. I never test the new water for anything other than salinity because im doing relatively small water changes at around 10% a week in daily amounts so it makes no difference

if your doing a major water change for some reason, then it is of course a good idea to test a bit more

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful responses guys, I appreciate it. I was worried for a long time that I need a Marine Hanna PH Tester.

Back